Wolboroiigh with Newton Abbot, par. and local
government dist., Devon (containing the greater part of
Newton Abbot town), 1231 ae., pop. 7662.
Wold, Northamptonshire, See Old.
Wold Newton.—vil., Newton le Wold par., Lincoln-
shire, 8% miles SW. of Grimsby; P.O. See Newton le
AVold.—2. Wold Newton, par. and vil., East-Riding
Yorkshire, on the AVolds—par., 2029 ac., pop. 310; vil.,
8% miles NW. of Bridlington ; P.O.
Woldingham, par., Surrey, 2 miles E. of Caterham
sta., 684 ac., pop. 1-32.
Wolds, The.—chalk hill tract, in NE. of Lincoln-
shire, extending from Spilsby to Barton upon Humber ;
45 miles long, and from 5 to 10 miles broad.—2.
Wolds, The, chalk hill tract, East-Riding Yorkshire,
extending from the Humber at Ferriby (in a crescent
form) to Flamborough Head; 35 miles long, and from
5 to 30 miles broad, and rising in some parts to an alt.
of 600 ft.
Wolf llock, off coast of Cornwall, 8 miles SW. of
Lands End; has the Wolf Lighthouse, 143 ft. high,
with revolving light 110 ft. above high water and seen
Wolfelce, seat, Southdean par., Roxburghshire, on
Rule AVater, 10 miles SE. of Hawick.
Wolferlow, par., Herefordshire, in NE. of co., 7
miles SE. of Tenbury, 1535 ac., pop. 98 ; the church is
Norman, and is very interesting.
Wolferton.—par. and vil. with ry. sta., Norfolk—
par., 2714 ac. land and 2920 water, pop. 185; vil., 6
miles N. of Kings Lynn; P.O.—2. Wolferton. See
Wolfhamcote, par., AVarwickshire, on E. border of
co., 3% miles NAV. of Daventry, 3470 ac., pop. 330.
Wolf hill, vil., on border of Cargill and St Martins
pars., Perthshire, 6 miles NE. of Perth.
Wolf hill, SE. Queens co., 10 m. SW. of Athy; P.O.
Wolford, Great, par., Warwickshire, 3% miles NE.
of Moreton sta., 2679 ac., pop. 449; consists of 2 town-
ships—Great Wolford, pop. 431; and Little Wolford,
Wolford Lodge, seat, Devon, in NE. of co., 4 miles
NAV. of Honiton.
Wolfs Castle, hamlet, Pembrokeshire, 7 miles N. of
Wolfsdale, hamlet, Camrose par., Pembrokeshire, 3
miles NAV. of Haverfordwest.
Wollaston.—par. and vil., Northamptonshire—par.,
3640 ac., pop. 1510; vil., on river Nen, 2% miles SAV.
of AVellingborough; P.O., T.o.—2. Wollaston, town-
ship, Alberbury par., Shropshire, 10% miles AV. of
Shrewsbury, pop. 315.—3. Wollaston, township and
vil., Oldswinford par., AVorcestershire, 1% mile NAV.
of Stourbridge, pop. 2414; P.O.; has mfrs. of glass.—
4. Wollaston, Gloucestershire. See AArOOLLASTON.
Wollaston, Great, eccl. dist., Alberbury par., Shrop-
shire and Montgomeryshire, pop. 502.
Wollaton, par. and vil., Notts—par., 2340 ac., pop.
712 ; vil., 3 miles W. of Nottingham; P.O.; the church is
ancient, and contains many historic monuments. Wol-
laton Hall, seat of Lord Middleton, was built in 1588,
and was the seat of the AVilloughbys of AVollaton.
Wollescotc, township, Oldswinford par., AVorcester-
shire, 2 miles W. of Stourbridge, pop. 3060.
Wolphy, hundred, Herefordshire, in N. of co., 46,917
ac., pop. 7313; contains 24 pars, and 5 parts.
Wolsdon, seat, Cornwall; post-town, Devonport.
Wolseley Bridge, Colwich par., Staffordshire, on
river Trent, 2% miles NAV. of Rugeley; P.O., T.O.; in
vicinity is Wolseley Hall, seat.
Wolsingham, market town and par. with ry. sta.,
Durham—par. (containing Thornley and parts of Tow
Law and Frosterley), 24,016 ac., pop. 7895; town, on
river AYear, 10 miles NAV. of Bishop Auckland by rail,
pop. 2504; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank. Market-day, Tuesday.
The town is irregularly built, and has a town ball, a
church (rebuilt 1848), and an endowed grammar school.
AVoollen cloth, edge tools, and agricultural implements
are manufactured; and there is much business in con-
nection with the neighbouring coal, lead, iron, and
limestone works. Fine black-spotted marble is quar-
ried here. Near the town are the remains of a
Gazetteer of the British Isles, Statistical and Topographical, by John Bartholomew, F.R.G.S.
Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1887. Public domain image from Gedcomindex.com
Click on the image to get a large bitmap suitable for printing (45 MB)