fresh and dried fish. Near it are seen three lofty
spiring rocks, formed of flinty masses, called the
Three Kings of Cullen. It is 13 m. west by north
of Banff. Pop. in 1821,1,452.
Cullera, a town of Spain, in Valencia, at the
mouth of the Xucar, 21 m. south of Valencia.
Pop. about 4,000.
Culm, a city of Prussia, capital of a palatinate of
the same name, and a bishops see, with a Catho-
lic university. It is seated on the east bank of the
Vistula. 85 m. south of Dantzic. Long. 18. 30.
E., lat. '53. 24. N.
Culm is also the name of a town in Bohemia,
in the west part of the circle of Saaz. It was
near this place where the French general Van-
damme wins defeated by a corps of Austrians and
Prussians, in August 1813.
Culmbach, a town of Franconia, formerly the
capital of a principality of the same name. Near
it, on a mountain, stands the fortress of PlaSsen-
burg, where the archives of the principality were
preserved, but they were removed to Bayreuth in
1783. Culmbach is seated near the Weiss branch
of the Maine, 13 m. N. N. W. of Bayreuth. Pop.
Culmore, a town of Ireland, in the county of
Londonderry, on the coast of Lough Foyle, five
m. north by east of Londonderry. It is stated in
a return made to parliament in 1821, to be extra-
parochial, and exempt from tithe, and parish, and
county rate. Pop. in 1821, 661.
Culpeper, a county of the E. District of Vir-
ginia, bounded on the north-west by the blue ridge
of the Apalachian Mountains, and on the east by
the Rappahannock River. Fairfax, is the chief
town. Population ofthe county 24,026.
Culross, a borough of Scotland, in Perthshire,
in a district almost surrounded hy Clackmanan-
shire. Here is a princely abbey, built in 1217.
It is situate on the frith of Forth, 20 m. south of
Perth, and 21 W. N. W of Edinburgh. Pop. in
Cumana, a sea-port of Colombia, and capital
of the province of Orinoco. It is seated on an
arid sandy plain at the entrance of a spacious
inlet of the Carribean sea, in the lat. of 16.12. N.
and 64. 24. W. long. Cumana has suffered much
both by inundations and by earthquakes. On the
14th of Dec. 1797 about four-fifths of the town was
destroyed. It is otherways advantageously situate
for external commerce, which it carries on to
some extent in cotton, cocoa, mules, cattle, &c. in
exchange for the manufactures of Europe gene-
rally. Pop. in 1826, about 20,000.
Cumber, or Comber, a parish and town in the
county of Down, Ireland. The town is pleasant-
ly seated at the head of a small bay of Strangford
Lough. Population of the town in 1821, 1,283,
and of the parish 6,918 more.
Cumberland, a maritime and mountainous coun-
ty of the north of England, bounded on the north
by the river Liddel. which separates it from Scot-
land, and on the east by ttye counties of Northum-
berland and Durham; south by those of West-
moreland and part of Lancashire, and east by the
Irish sea. This county contains a good deal of
dreary moor, but some of the valleys intersected
by streams of water and interspersed with lakes
are exceedingly picturesque, and very fertile.
The two principal rivers are the Eden and Der-
went, which abound with salmon and char. The
mountains and moors are rich in minerals, espe-
cially coals and lead. It has also a very valuable
bed of plumbago, or blacklead. Sea Fell, the
highest peak of the mountains, rises to a height ol
3,166 feet above the level of the sea. Sktddau and
Helvellyn also each rise to heights exceeding
3.000 feet, and five or six others approximate to
3.000 feet. Carlisle is the capital, where some
considerable manufactures of cotton are carried
on. The county also yields a surplus of cattle
and about 200,000 chaldron of coals annually.
The sea-ports are Whitehaven, Workington and
Mary port; and the principal towns in the interioi,
Aldston, Cockermouth, Penrith, and Wigton.
Cumberland, is also the name of six counties in
different parts of the United States of North Amer
1st. In the state of Maine, of which Portland is
the chief town, and formerly was the seat of gov
ernment of the state. It is a maritime county, its
area not exceeding 700 square miles, comprising a
considerable surface of lakes. The north-east
corner of the county is bounded by the Kenebec
River. Pop. 60,113.
2nd. At the S. extremity of New Jersey, bor-
dering on Delaware Bay, in the lat. of 39. 15.
to 39. 30. N. Pop. 14,091. Bridgetown is the
3rd. In the E. District of Pennsylvania, bound-
ed on the north by the Blue Ridge of the Alleghany
Mountains, and on the east by the Susquehanna
River. It is about 35 miles in extent from east to
west, and 15 in mean breadth. Pop. 29,218. Car-
lisle, is the chief town.
4th. In the E. District of Virginia, extending
south from James River for 28 miles, to the Ap-
pomattax River. The mean breadth of this county
does not exceed eight miles. Carterville is the
chief town. Pop. 11,689.
5th. In the interior of North Carolina, intersect-
ed by Cape Fear River. Pop. 14,824. Fayette-
ville is the chief towin.
6th. In Kentucky, bordering on Tennessee, in
tersected by the Cumberland River. Pop. 8,636
Burkesville is the chief town.
Cumberland, ph. Providence Co. R. I. Pop.
3,675. Also towns in Pa. and Va.
Cumberland River, which gives name to three of
the above counties, rises on the west side of the
Cumberland Ridge of mountains, which divide
the south-east end of the state of Kentucky from
that of Virginia, in the lat. of 37. N., runs west
for about l20 miles, when_.it leaves the state of
Kentucky in a southerly'direction, at the south-
west corner of Cumberland County, into the state
of Tennessee, through which it runs a course of
about 150 m., when it re-enters the state of Ken-
tucky in a north-west direction, and, after a fur-
ther course of about 60 miles, falls into the Ohio
about 50 miles above the entrance of that river
into the Mississippi. From the source of the
Cumberland River to its conflux writh the Ohio,
the distance in a direct line is 300 miles, being 6
deg. of long, between 82. 15. and 88. 15 in the
lat. of 37. N. but the distance by the course and
windings of the stream is near 600 miles, 500 o.
which it is navigable for batteaux of 14 or 15 tons
Cumberland Ridge, is the most westerly of tlie
Apalachian chain of mountains, and extends from
the frontier of Georgia in the lat. of 35. N. in a
E. N. E. direction, through the state of Tennessee,
flanking the south-east end of the state of Ken-
tucky, into Tazeville County, in the state of Vir-
ginia, in the lat. of 37. 20. N. where it terminates
in several knolls, which give rise to the streams
that form the Big Sandy River.