variegated marble. It is situate on the Awbeg,
which falls into the Black Water 19 miles N. AV.
of Cork, and 113 S. W. of Dublin. Pop. of the
town in 1.821,2,455, and the parish 1,419 more.
Dongola, or Dimgala, a town of Nubia, capital
of a province of the same name. It contains
10,000 houses of wood, and is seated on the Nile,
among mountains, 500 miles N. by W. of Sen-
naar. The country is celebrated for a fine breed
of horses, and the inhabitants for their skill in
horsemanship. Long. 32. 5. E. lat. 19. 25. N.
Donjon, a town of France, in the department of
Allier, 24 m. S. E. of Moulins.
Donnington, a town in Lincolnshire, Eng.
Much hemp is cultivated in the neighbourhood.
It is 8 miles W. S. W. of Boston, and 106 N. of
London. Pop. in 1821,1,638.
There are 7 villages of the same name in
different parts of England, the principal one'in
Leicestershire, with a population of 2,308.
Donny Brook, one of the out parishes of the
city of Dublin, celebrated for its annual saturna-
lia or fair.
Donzy, a town-of France, in the department of
Nievre, 22 m. N. of Nevers.
Dooab, a term applied by the Hindoos to tracts
of land lying between two rivers; the most cele-
brated tract is that lying between the Ganges and
Jumna, in the provinces of Allahabad, Agra, and
Doan, a river of Scotland, which issues from
a lake of the same name in Ayrshire, and enters
the frith of Clyde, 2 m. S. of Ayr.
Doran, a town of Arabia, in Yemen, on the
side of a mountain, 28 m. S. of Sana.
Doral, a town of France, in the department of
Upper Vienne, seated on the Abran, near its junc-
tion with the Sevre,25 m. N.of Limoges.
Dorchester, a borough and the capital of Dor-
setshire, England. It was formerly much larger,
and the ruins of the walls are still to be seen in
some places. It has three churches ; and a fine
terrace-walk, planted with trees, almost surrounds
the town, which has no manufactures, but is fa-
mous for excellent ale. A little to the S. is a
Roman amphitheatre, constructed of chalk and
turf, supposed to be the most perfect in the king-
dom. One mile to the S. AV is the Maiden cas-
tle, another wcrk of the Rorr.-ms; there are three
ramparts and ditches, nearly oval, and the whole
area is 115 acres. Dorchester is seated on the
river Frome. about 10 m. from the sea at Wey-
mouth, 53 E.of Exeter, and 120 AA7. by S. of
London. Pop. in 1821, 2,743.
Dorchester, a town in Oxfordshire, Eng. which
was a station of the Romans, and ruined in the
wars with the Danes. It was a bishops see till
1086, when William the Conquerer translated it to
Lincoln ; and it had five churches, though now
but one, which was the cathedral. It is seated
on the Tame, 3-4 of a mile above its junction
with the Isis; the united streams forming the
river Thames, 10 miles S. E. of Oxford, and 49
W. N. AV. of London. Pop. in 1821, 854.
Dorchester, a county of the state of Maryland,
.ying between the Nanticoke and Choptank riv-
ers, on the E. side of Chesapeak bay. Pop.
18,685. The chief town is Cambridge, on the S.
bank of the Choptank, 60 miles S. S. AV. of Bal-
Dorchester, ph. Grafton Co. N. H. 90 m. from
Portsmouth. Pop. 702.
Dorchester, ph. Norfolk Co. Mass. adjoining
Boston. Pop. 4,064.
Dorchester, ph. Colleton Dis. S C.
Dordogne, an interior department in the S. W.
of France, comprising the late province of Peri-
gord, and part of the Limousin; a river of the
same name intersects the S. part of the depart-
ment; the Vizere, Ille, and la Drome, all fall-
ing into the Dordogne, in its course to the Ga
ronne at Bourg, intersects other parts of the de-
partment, which is in general fertile and yields
some delicious wines; it is divided into five ar-
rondissements, the principal towns of which are
Perigueux, the capital, Bergerac, Nontron, Ribe-
rac, and Sarlat; the other principal towns are '
Belves, Monpont, and Eaciderfil. For territori-
al extent, population, &c. &c. see France.
Dorestro. See Silistria.
Dorking, a beautifully picturesque towin in
Surrey, England, with a market on Thursdays,
celebrated for a remarkably fine breed of poultry;
a vast quantity of lime is burnt in the neighbour-
hood. It is 23 m. S. S. W. of London bridge.xe2x80x94
Pop. in 1821, 3,812.
Dorn, a village in a detached part of Worces-
tershire, Eng. 3 m. S. E. of Camden in Glouces-
shire. The Roman fossway runs through it, and
abundance of coin, both Roman and British have
been found here.
Domburg, a town of Upper Saxony, in the
principality of AVeimar, with a castle ; siiuate on
a hill, by the river Saale, 14 m. E. of Weimar, and
40 S. AV. of Leipsig.
Dornoch, a borough on the E. coast of Scotland,
capital of Sutherlandshire, at the entrance of a
frith of the same name, over which it has a ferry
to Tain. It is a small place, and half in ruins,
but was formerly the residence of the bishops of
Caithness, and part of the cathedral is kept up as
the parish church. It is 40 miles N. of Inverness.
Lon or. 3. 43. AT. Iat. 57. 52. N. Pop. in 1821,
Dorp, Dorpat, or Dorfat, a town of Russia,
in the government of Riga, with a university;
seated on the Ember, between the lakes AVosero
and Pepas, 60 m. S. of Narva, and about 50 E. of
Pernau. Pop. about 5,000.
Dorset, ph. Bennington Co. Vt. Pop. 1,507.
Dorsetshire, a maritime county of England,
having about 70 miles of coast in the British
Channel; bounded on the W. by Devonshire, N.
by the counties of Somerset and Wilts, and E. by
Hampshire; it is of an irregular form, having an
extreme length of 55 miles from W. to E. and 35
in extreme breadth, but the mean lines do not
much exceed half that extent; the superficial
area being only 1,005 square miles. The soil is
generally rich and fertile, though in some parts
very sandy ; the northern part, which is divided
by a range of chalk hills from the southern,
affords good pasturage for cattle; while the south-
ern part chiefly consists of fine downs, and feeds
incredible numbers of sheep. The chalk hills,
which run through every county from the S. E. #
part of the kingdom thus far, terminate at the
further extremity of this ; hut on the coast, chalk
cliffs extend beyond it into Devonshire, 10 miles
W. of Lyme. From the Hampshire border to
the neighbourhood of Blandford a heathy com-
mon extends, which causes an exception to the
general character of fertility which this county
merits; but the rich vales to the S. W. make
ample amends. The greater altitude of the
county is 669 feet above the level of the sea; the
climate is mild and congenial. The principal
rivers are the Stour, Piddle, and Frome. Heie is