eight parishes, each of which is called Roding,
but they are distinguished by tbe additional ap-
pellation of Beauchamp, Eythorp, High, Leaden,
White, Abbots, Berners, and Margarets.
Rodman, ph. Jefferson Co. N, Y. 160 m. N. W.
Albany. Pop. 1,901.
Rodok, a town of Hindoostan, in the province
of Dehli, 50 m. E. of Hissar and 60 W. N W. of
Rodosto, a sea port of Romania, and a bishops
see, seated on the side of a hill, on the sea of
Marmora, 62 m. W. of Constantinople. Long.
27. 37. E., lat. 41. 1. N.
Rodriguez, an island in the Indian Ocean, 30
m. long and 12 broad, lying 100 leagues E. of
Mauritius. The country is mountainous, and in
many parts rocky, though in some places the soil
is excellent; but the best production of the island
is the land turtle, which are in great abundance.
On the N. side is a bay that affords secure shelter
for ships, and ample supplies of wood and water
Long. 63. 0. E., lat. 19. 30. S.
Roer, a river of the Prussian states, which rises
in Westphalia, flows by Arensberg, Schwerte,
Werden, and Duysburg, and enters the Rhine at
Roerort, a town of the Prussian states, in the
duchy of Cleve, at the conflux of the Roer with
the Rhine, 17 m. S. by E. of Weael.
Roeulx, a town of the Netherlands, in Hainault,
8 m. N. E. of Mons.
Roger stolen, p.v. Franklin Co. Missouri.
RogersviUe, p.v. Person Co. N. C. Pendleton
Dis. S. C. and Hawkins Co. Ten. on the Hoiston,
70 m. above Knoxville.
Rogerwick, or Port Baltic, a sea-port of Russia,
in the province of Revel, seated on a fine bay. at
the entrance ofthe gulf of Finland, 40 m. W. N.
W. of Revel. Long. 23. 20. E., lat. 59. 10. N.
Rogonatpour, a town of Bengal, capital of the
district of Pachete. 126 m. N. W. of Calcutta.
Long. 86.47. E., lat. 23. 32. N.
Roha, or Rouah. See Orfa.
Rohan, a town of France, department of Mor-
biham, on the Aoust, 20 m. N. of Vannes.
Rohilcund, or Rohilla, a territory of Hindoostan,
inhabited by the Rohillas, and formerly belong-
ing to the province of Dehli, but now included
in the district of Bareilly. It was conquered by
the nabob of Oude, with the assistance of the
British, in 1774. But in 1801 it was ceded to the
British, and is now governed by a "civil establish-
Rokitzan, a town of Bohemia, with good cloth
manufactures and a trade in iron, 7 m. E. by N. of
Rolduc, a town of the Netherlands, in the late
duchy of Limburg, 10 m. S. W. of Juliers.
Rom, an island of Denmark, on the coast of S.
Jutland. It is 7 m. long and nearly 3 broad, and
contains a few villages.
Romagna, the former name of a province of
Italy, in the papal states, bounded on the N. by
the Ferrarese, E. by the gulf of Venice, S. by
Tuscany and Urbino, and W. by Bologna and
Tuscany. It is fertile in corn, wine, oil, and
fruits ; and has also mines, mineral waters, and
salt-works, which makes its principal revenue.
Ravenna is the ca >ital.
Romainmotier, a town of Switzerland, in the
Pays de Vaud, capital of a bailiwic, with a castle ;
seated in a narrow valley, through which flows
the river Diaz, 11 m. S. W. of Yverdun.
Romani, a town of European Turkey, in Mol-
davia, and a bishops see; seated on the Siret.
50 m. W. S. W. of Jassy.
Romania, a province or division of Turkey,
about 200 m. long and 130 broad ; bounded on
the N. by Bulgaria, E. by the black Sea, S. by
the sea of Marmora and the Archipelago, and W
by Macedonia. The whole of this fine country,
comprising Thrace, Macedon, and ancient Greece,
is at present in a very backward state, owing to
the oppression and arbitrary exactions of the
Turks. The inhabitants have, however, at length
been liberated from the galling yoke which they
long maintained an arduous struggle to throw off.
Romano, a town of Austrian Italy, on a river
that runs between the Oglio and Serio, 26 m. E.
Rmrums, a town of France, department of
Drome, on the Isere, 22 m. S. W. of Grenoble and
30 S. of Vienne.
Rome, a celebrated city of Italy, the capital of
the popes dominions. It is situate on the Tiber,
over which it has four bridges. The walls are of
jjrick, in which are 15 gates ; and its whole cir-
cumference, including that part beyond the Ti-
ber and all belonging to the Vatican, is upwards
of 16 m. It has 144,541 inhabitants, which,
though greatly inferior to what it could boast in
the days of its ancient power, is considerably
more than it could number at some former periods
since the fall of the empire. Some of the prin-
cipal streets are of considerable length, and per-
fectly straight. Tiiat called the Corso is the
most frequented. The shops on each side are
three or four feet higher than the street, and there
is a path for foot passengers on a level with the
shops. The paiaces, of which there are several, in
thfe street, range in a line with tbe houses, hav-
ing no courts before them. The Strada Felice
and the Strada di Porta Pia, are also very long
and noble streets. Rome exhibits a strange mix-
ture of magnificent and interesting, and of com-
mon and beggarly objects ; tbe former consist of
palaces, churches, fountains, and the remains of
antiquity ; the latter comprehend all the rest of
the city. The church of St. Peter, in the opin-
ion of many, surpasses, in size and magnificence,
the finest monuments of ancient architecture. It
was begun in 1506, finished in 1621, and is en-
tirely covered both wihiin and without with mar-
ble. Its length is 730 feet, the breadth 520, and
the height, from the pavement to the top of the
cross which crowns the cupola, 450. The high
altar under the cupola is 90 feet in height, and of
extraordinary magnificence. A complete descrip-
tion of this church, and of its statues, basso-re-
lievos, colums, and various other ornaments,
would fill volumes. The cathedral of St. John
Lateran, the Romans say, is the most ancient ot'
all the churches of Rome, and the mother of all
the churches in Christendom. It contains the
Scaia Santa, of 28 white marble steps, brought
from Jerusalem, by which Christ is said to have
ascended to the palace of Caiaphas. To this
church every new pope constantly goes first, in a
magnificent procession, to take possession of the
holy see. The Pantheon, which from its cir-
cular form has obtained the name of the Rotunda
is the most perfect of the Roman temples which
now remain, and notwithstanding the depreda-
tions it has sustained from Goths, Vandals, and
popes, is still a beautiful monument of Roman
taste. The pavilion of the great altar of St. Peter,
and the four wreathed pillars of Corinthian brass