It lies 13 miles S. of Newport, and
44 W. of Concord.
Berkshire co, This is a flourish-
ing agricultural and manufacturing
township, comprising two villages,
north and south, whose trade goes
to New York. It is 40 miles E. of
Troy, N. Y., 120 W. N. W. of Bos-
ton, 29 N. of Lenox, and 7 miles S.
E. of Williamstown college. The
Hoosack river passes through this
town, and affords a great water
power. There are in this town 19
cotton mills, 4 satinet factories, and
2 calico printing establishments.
There are also in this town large
machine shops, 4 taneries, 3 air and
cupola furnaces, and manufactories
of shovels, spades, hoes, forks,
chairs and cabinet ware. The total
value of the manufactures <of this
place in the year ending April 1,
1837, amounted to $1,045,417.
Between the years 1746 and 1756,
this town was the scene of much
Indian warfare. Traces- of old
Fort .Massachusetts are still found.
Saddle Mountain, the summit of
which is called Gray lock,the high-
est of Massachusetts mountains, lies
chiefly in this town, and, although
it is 3,600 feet above the level of
the sea, is of easy ascent. A view
from Gray lock probably gives “ an
idea of vastness and even of im-
mensity” better than any other
landscape in New England, Mt.
Washington, In N. H. excepted.
The natural bridge on Hudson’s
Brook, in this town, is a curiosity
worthy the notice of travellers.
The waters of this urook have worn
a fissure from 30 to 60 feet deep and
30 rods in length, through a body
of white marble, or limestone, and
formed a bridge of that material, 50
feet above the surface of the water.
There is a cavern in this town, 30
feet long, 20 high, and 20 wide.
Incorporated 1778. Population 1820
1,836—1830, 2,648—1834, 3,000—
and in 1837, 4,191
Washington co. This town was
incorporated in 1797. Population,
1837, 901. It lies 14 miles W. by
S. from Machias, and 135 E.by N.
from Augusta. Addison lies be-
tween Pleasant and Indian rivers,
and near the south entrance into
Mispecky reach. Jlddison Point,
or Cape Split, jutting out into the
sea, off which are several small
islands, is the principal harbor and
place of trade.
Addison County, Vt.,
Middlebury is the chief town.
This county is bounded on the N.
by Chittenden county; E. by Wash-
ington and Orange counties, and a
part of Windsor county; S. by
Rutland county, and W. by Lake
Champlain. It was incorporated in
1787, and contains about 700 square
miles. Large quantities of white
and beautifully variegated marble,
which receives a fine polish, is
found in this county, and large
quantities of it are quarried and
transported to various markets.—
This county is admirably well wat-
ered by Otter Creek, which rises
near its southern boundary, and ex-
tends nearly through its centre ;—
by Mad and White rivers; and by
Lake Champlain, which affords it
many navigable privileges. The
soil is good, particularly in those
towns below the mountains, and
bordering the lake and rivers. This
countv contains 22 towns. Popu-
lation, 1820, 20,469—1830, 24,940.
Inhabitants to a square mile, 55.
Addison co. This is supposed to
he the first place settled by the
whites, in this state, west of the
mountains. The town is pleasantly
located on the east side of lake
Champlain, and nearly opposite to
Crown Point, in the state of New-
York. At this place the lake is
about 3 miles broad. The French,