is the most elevated county in the
state. The Green and Taughkannic
Mountains cross it from N. to S.;
the average height of which is about
1,200 feet above the level of the
sea. The Housatonick and Hoo-
sick are its chief rivers. • The for-
mer empties into Long Island Sound;
the latter into the Hudson: 29
towns; 45 inhabitants to a square
mile. “ This county possesses, in
rich and inexhaustible abundance,
three of the most important articles
of the commerce of the world, Iron,
Marble and Lime, and its wood and
water power are fully sufficient to
enable it to fit them for the pur-
poses of life.” The tonnage of this
county to its marts of trade, princi-
pally on the Hudson, amounted, in
1834, to no less than 34,075 tons.
At the present time it probably ex-
ceeds 40,000 tons. The enterprize
of a railroad from Boston to Albany*
will soon be accomplished, and can-
not fail of being exceedingly benefi-
cial, not only to this county, but to
the commonwealth at large.
Franklin co. Elihu M. Royce,
son of Stephen Royce, was the first
child born in this town. That event
occurred in 1793. On Missisque
and Trout rivers, which water this
town, is some fine intervale land.
Pike river, from Canada, affords
Berkshire a great water power.
This town lies 50 miles N. W. from
Montpelier, 22 N. E. by E. from
St. Albans, and 31 N. E. by N.
from Burlington. Population, 1830,
1,308. About 3,000 sheep.
Oxford co. This town is hounded
E. by Phillips, S. by Weld and W.
by Byron. It lies 100 miles N.
from Portland, 45 N. W. from Au-
gusta, and about 40 N. from Paris.
Population, 1837, 470. Wheat crop,
same year, 2,175 bushels.
Berlin, N. II.
Ceos co. This town, from 1771
to 1829,was called Maynesborough.
The Androscoggin and Amonoo-
suck rivers pass through it. It is
about 20 miles E. from Lancaster,
and 125 N. from Concord. Popu-
lation, 1830, 73.
This is, a pleasant town in Wash-
ington county, watered by Onion and
Dog rivers, Stevens’ branch, and a
number of ponds, furnishing good
mill sites, and excellent fishing.
The land is somewhat broken, but
of strong soil and good for tillage.
Considerable manufactures are pro-
duced in this town, and about 6,000
sheep. There is a mineral spring
here of little note. First settled in
1786. Population, 1830, 1,664.—
Berlin is bounded N. by Montpe-
lier and E. by Barre.
Worcester co. Taken from Bol-
ton, in 1784. Population, 1837,
724. It lies 15 miles N. E. from
Worcester, 31 W. by N. from Bos-
ton, and 7 S. E. from Lancaster.
A branch of the Assabet affords
this town good water privileges.
Large quantities of hops are pro-
duced here; some wool, and some
Hartford co. Taken from Far-
mington, in 1785. Population, 1830,
3,047. This town lies 11 miles S.
from Hartford, and 23 N. from New
Haven. The surface of Berlin,
is hilly, but productive of grass,
grain and fruits. There are in the
town about 2,000 sheep. The vil-
lages of Worthington and JSTem
Britain Are very frleasant, and the
manufactures of brass, tin and oth-
er wares, there pursued, are very
extensive and flourishing. The first
manufacture of tin tvare in this
country was commenced at this-
place, in about 4he year 1770, by
Edward Patterson, a native of Ire-
land. Mr. Patterson peddled his