tincl town in 1703. Settlements
commenced early, and in 1705 there
were 320 inhabitants.
Rev. Samuel M’Clintock,
D. D., who died in the 48th year,
of his ministry, was horn at Med-
ford, Mass., May 1, 1732; gradua-
ted at the New Jersey college in
1751; ordained in 1756; and died
April 27, 1804, aged 72. His fa-
ther was a native of Ireland. Dr.
M’CIintock was a sound divine, em-
inent as a preacher, and distinguish-
ed for his attachment to the cause
of his country. He served as a
chaplain in the army of the revolu-
tion. Population in 1S30, CS1.
This range of mountains rises in
Lower Canada. They pass nearly
through the centre of Vermont,
from N. to S., and the westerly
parts of the states of Massachusetts
and Connecticut, and terminate near
New Haven, on Long Island Sound.
From their green appearance they
give the name to Vermont, and de-
crease in height as they approach
the south. The north peak,in Mans-
field, Vt., is the greatest elevation,
being 4,279 feet above the surface
of lake Champlain.
Green, or Quodotchquoik river,
in the N. E. part of Penobscot coun-
ty, Maine, is an important branch
of the St. John’s, and joins that riv-
er about 24 miles W. from the line
of New Brunswick.
Green river, in Massachusetts,
rises in the high lands at the N. W.
corner of Berkshire county; it pas-
ses N. W. through Williamstown,
and the S. W. corner of Vermont,
and joins the Hoosick in N. Y.
There are several smaller streams
m New England of the same name.
Orleans co. William Scott Shep-
ard, born March 25, 1789, was the
first white child brought forth in
this town. For his good fortune in
this respect, the proprietors of the
township gave him 100 acres of
land. “ Beautiful lake ” and seve-
ral other lakes and ponds in this
town, form a part of the head wa-
ters of the river Lamoille. This
town is well timbered: the sur-
face is not very elevated; the soil
in general is good, particularly for
grazing. It produces some fine cat-
tle, and keeps about 4,000 sheep.
Population, 1830, 784.
Piscataquis co. The “ Haskell
Plantation,” incorporated in 1836.
109 miles from Augusta. Popula-
tion, 1837,132. See “ Down East.”
Hampshire co. There are a num-
ber of ponds in this town, by which,
and Swift river passing through it,
a good water power is acquired.
There-is a woolen mill in the town,
and manufactures of shoes, boots,
palm-leaf hats, and scythes. In-
corporated, 1754. Population, 1837,
842. Greenwich lies 75 miles W.
from Boston, and 17 N. E. from
Fairfield co. The settlement of
this town commenced in 1640, and
was incorporated by Stuyvesant,
the Dutch governor at New York,
in 1665. Greenwich comprises three
parishes or villages,—West Green-
wich, Greenwich on the E. and
Stanwich on the N. West Green-
wich, on Horse Neck, so called
from a peninsula on the Sound for-
merly used as a horse pasture, is the
largest and most important part of
the town. Greenwich is watered
by Byran river, the boundary line
between the town and state of New
York, and the most southern part of
New England. At the outlet of
Byran river, on the New York side,
is a place called Sawpits, a noted
landing place on the Sound, 28 miles