Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 195
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


there are many fine tracts converted
into productive farms. The soil in
some parts is rich and fertile—it is
generally good. There is at the S.
E. section of the town, a flourish-
ing village, situated on a spacious
street 1 mile in length.

This town was granted Sept. 14,
1758, to 87 proprietors, who held
their first meeting at Chester, and as
the greater part of the inhabitants
belonged to that place, it. was called
New Chester; which name it retain-
ed until Jan. 1837, when it was
changed to the name of
Hill, in
compliment to the then governor
Hill. The first settlement was in

In Dec. 1820, six children of Mr.
William Follansbee were consum-
ed in the flames of his house,“wKIET
he and his wife were absent. In-
corporated, 1778. Population, 1830,

Hillgborougli County, N. H.

Amherst is the shire town. Hills-
borough has Merrimack county on
the N., Rockingham on the E., the
state of Massachusetts on the S.,
and Cheshire county on the W.
The surface of this county is gen-
erally uneven, though there are but
few lofty mountains. Lyndebo-
rough mountain, in the township of
Lyndeborough, the XJnconoonock,
in Goffstown, Crotched, in Frances-
town and Society Land, are of con-
siderable altitude.

This section of New Hampshire
is well watered. The noble and ma-
jestic Merrimack passes its south-
eastern border. At Nashup, the
Nashua, a beautiful stream from
Massachusetts, discharges its wa-
ters into the Merrimack. North of
the Nashua, the Souhegan and Pis-
cataquog,streams of much value and
consequence to the manufacturing
interests, discharge themselves in-
to the Merrimack; the former in
the township of Merrimack, the
latter in Bedford. Part of a large
collection of water, denominated a
lake, the Massabesick, on the E.
boundary of Manchester. Besides
these there are numerous ponds,
interspersed through the whole, ex-
tent cf territory. Some of the
largest of these are Gregg’s pond,
in Antrim, Pleasant pond, in Fran-
cestown, Babboosuck pond, in Am-
herst, and Potanipo, in Brookline.
There are several mineral springs
which have been found serviceable
in cutaneous affections, but no one
has yet acquired general celebrity.
Minerals have been found in vari-
ous places, but not in great abun-

This county possesses many advan-
tages for manufacturing establish-
ments, and it is gratifying to find
that many of its citizens are turn-
ing their attention to this branch of
national and individual wealth.

The settlement of this county
was made at Nashua, lately Dun-
stable, some years before the war
with king Philip, in 1675. It was
constituted a county hy an act of
the General Assembly, 19 March,
1771. It received its name from
the Earl of Hillsborough, one of
the privy council of George III.
The population, in 1775, was 13,-
132 ; in 1790, 24,536 ; in 1800, 31,-
260; in 1810, 34,410; in 1820,
35,761; and in 1830, 87,762. In
1837, there were 45,511 sheep in
this county.

Hillsborough., X. H.

Hillsborough co. It is 23 miles
N. W. from Amherst, 24 W. S. W.
from Concord. This town is well
watered. Contoocook river passes
through the S. E. corner, and affords
several excellent water privileges.
Hillsborough river has its source
from ponds in Washington; runs in a
S. E. course through the whole ex-
tent of Hillsborough, receiving the
outlets of several ponds on the E.,
and forms a junction with the Con-
toocook, on the S. line of this town.
The land here is uneven, hntit af-
fordgjnaajr goocffarms. There is


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.