Long; Pond, Me.
Loudon, N. H.
Merrimack -co. SouCook ‘river
passes from Gilmanton S. through
Loudon', furnishing valuable mill
privileges. There is some good in-
tervale on its borders. Loudon was
originally a- part of • Canterbury;
was incorporated, 1773. Loudon
lies 7 .miles N. E. from Concord.
P-opulation, 1830, 1,642*
Oxford co. This town embraces
Keze-r pond,.a-large sheet of water,
and other ponds whose outlet is into
the Saco, at Fryeburgb. Lovell
lies 10 miles N. from Fryeburgb,
20 W. S. W- from Paris, and 67 W.
S. W. from Augusta. Incorpora-
ted, 1S00.‘ Population, 1837, 876.
“ In this town are LoveH’s Falls,
which are an object of great natu-
ral curiosity. Where the water
makes over into the tremendous ba-
sin below, it falls perpendicularly
40 feet. Above the falls, there is
a chain of eight ponds, partly in
Lovell and .partly in Waterford, con-
nected by small naturaL-dsffis^one
ortwo rods in width^tbrough which
there are sluiceways, which will
admit the passage of a common sail
boat. The scenery of the moun-
tains and ascending lands in the vi-
cinity is rural and beautiful.”
Penobscot co. Formerly called
Huntressville. Incorporated by its
present name in 1838. “ See Down
Orleans co. This town was first
settled in 1806, and was called Kel-
leyvale for a number of years. It
lies 36 miles N. from Montpelier,
and 10 S. W, from Irasburgh. Pop-
ulation, 1830,’314. This township
is mountainous, and the fountain
head of Missisque river.
Middlesex co. County town.—
This city, the American Manches-
ter, is remarkable for the extent of
its water power,' its rapid growth,
and the height to which it has rais-
ed the American character, hy the
perfection of its manufactures.
Lowell has risen to eminence by
the remarkable energy and skill of
a few individuals; among whom
Patrick T. Jackson, Esq,, of
Boston, and the late Kirk Boot,
Esq. were distinguished.
It lies on the S. side of Merri-
mack river, below Pawtucket Falls,
and at the union of Concord river
with the Merrimack.
In 1815, the site where the city
stands was a wilderness, with the
exception of a few lonely dwell-
ings. In 1824, Lowell, then a part
of Chelmsford, was incorporated as
a town. In 1835, it became a city.
Lowell is situated 25 miles N. from
Boston, 14 N. N. E. from Concord,
37 N. E. from Worcester, and 38 S.
S. E. from Concord, N. H. Popu-
lation, 1830, 6,474; 1837, 18,010.
The hydraulic power of this plac«
is produced by a canal, of a mile
and a half in length, 60 feet in
width, and 8 feet in depth, extend-
ing from the head of Pawtucket
Falls to Concord river. This canal
has. locks at its outlet into Concord
river; it also serves for the passage
of boats up and down the Merri-
mack. From this canal, the water
is conveyed by lateral canals to va-
rious places where it is wanted for
use, and then discharged, either in-
to the Merrimack or Concord.
The canal is owned by “ The
Proprietors of the Locks and Canals
on Merrimack river.” This com-
pany vvas incorporated in 1792, and
have a capital of $600,000. They
dispose of lands and mill privileges,
and own the machine shop, and
carry on the manufacture of ma-
chinery. The first cotton mill at
this place was erected in 1822.
The whole fall of the Merrimack