gives employment to many of its
Middlesex county contains an
area of 342 square miles. Popula-
tion, 1820, 22,405; 1830, 24,845,
containing a population of 73 in-
habitants to a square mile. Con-
siderable amounts of the productions
of the soil are exported, and in
1837, .there were in the county
/ Middleton, Iff. IT.
St/affotd co. This is a very lev-
el township, having no high ground
except a part of Moose mountain,
Which separates it from Brookfield.
There are no rivers nor ponds, and
the soil is rocky. It lies 25 miles
N. W. from Dover. Middleton was
incorporated in 1778. Population,
Essex co. A pleasant town on
both sides of Ipswich river, 19 miles
N. from Boston, and 7 N. W. from
Salem. This place contains a large
and expensive paper mill. This is
the principal manufacturing con-
cern in the town. Incorporated,
1728. Population, 1837, 671.
•Rutland co. This town lies be-
tween two mountains, is watered
by Poultney river, and has a good
soil for grazing. It keeps, among
other cattle, about 4,000 sheep. It
lies 14 miles S. W. from Rutland.
It has a neat and flourishing vil-
lage, a woolen factory, marble fac-
tory, and other manufactures.—
Population, 1830, 919.
Chief town of Middlesex co.—
Middletown City, and port of
entry, lies on the W. bank of Con-
necticut iriver, 30 miles from its
mouth, 15 S. from Hartford, 24 N.
E. from New Haven, 35 N. W.
from New London. Lat. 41° 34'
N., long. 72° 39' W. The city is
very pleasantly situated on ground
rising gradually from the river.
The principal street, called Main
street, runs parallel with the river.
This and othe.r streets, are inter-
sected by cross streets, leading to
The wharves are commodious for
shipping, there being ten feet of
water for all vessels that can cross
the bar at the month q$ the river.
Two high wharves are appropria-
ted for two lines of steam-boats, of a
large class, which afford a daily com-
munication with the cities of New
York and Hartford.
The streets and side-walks are
pleasantly shaded with trees, and
the side-walks are remarkably well,
The population of the city, is
about 3,500; of the town, above
The public edifices are a court-
house in the Grecian style oLiareh-
itecture, built in 13j^; a'etistom-
house handsomely buift'of Chatham
.freestone; % banks,'and a savfhgs
bank, &.c. The places of public
worship in the city, and the princi-
pal houses and stores are of brick,
many of which are built with great
The Wesleyan University,
under the patronage of the Metho-
dist Episcopal church, was founded
in 1831, and is very rapidly acquir-
ing a high standing. It has now
160 students.' Its officers are a
president and 5 professors.
The college buildings command
an extensive view of the surround-
ing country, as well as of the val-
ley of the Connecticut, so justly
famed for its beauty.
The college library, with those
belonging to the societies, comprises
about 10,000 volumes. It has ma-
ny rare and choice works, an entire
set of the Latin Classics, and most of
the Greek, a set of the Philosophical
Transactions, and all of the most
important lat-tr scientific works of