2,000. The surface is uneven, but
the soil is generally strong and fer-
tile. In 1837,there were 4,546 sheep
in the town.
The amount of available water
power in St. Johnsbury is. great and
valuable, indicating its future im-
portance as. a site for large manu-
factories. . The Passumpsic river, a
considerable stream, which falls into
Connecticut river at the foot of Fif-
teen M|le Falls, passes through the
central part of the town from north
to south. Moose and Sleeper’s riv-
ers unite With the Passumpsic and
afford a succession of excellentmill
seats seldom seen so closely com-
On Sleeper’s river is the estab-
lishment of E.'and I. Fairbanks, for
the manufacture of their improved
platform balances, on an extensive
scalealso iron works of various
kinds, on the other streams.
There are three handsome villa-
ges in the town: that called the
Plain, is on elevated ground and
near the junction of the streams.
This town commands the trade of ‘ a
considerable portion of country, and
these villages, which are neatly
built, enjoy an active business.
Somerset co. This town is wa-
tered by a branch of Seven Mile
Brook, and lies 52 miles N. N. W.
from Augusta, and 28 N. W. from
Norridgewock. Incorporated, 1823.
Population, 1837, 496. This is a
good farming town; it produced in
1837, 4,216 bushels of wheat.
Salem, N. II.,
Rockingham co., is30 miles.S.
from Concord, and 40 S. W. from
Portsmouth. Policy pond, partly in
tbis town, and partly in Windham, is
the largest collection of water:
"World’s end pond and Captain pond
are in the S. E. and E. parts of the
town;, and there are other small
ponds. The Spiggot.river, passing
from N. to. S. through the town, re-
ceives in its course numerous
branches, and waters the different
portions of the town, furnishing also
excellent mill privileges. The soil
is generally fertile, and the surface
uneven. Salem was incorporated
by charter, May 11, 1750. Popula-
tion, in 1830, Ij310.
Orleans co. This is a township
of level surface, and tolerable soil;
50 miles N. N. E. from Montpelier
and 10N. E. from Irasburgh. First
settled, 1798. .Population, 1830,
230. .Clyde river passes through
the N. E. partof the town and apart
of the south bay of Memphrema-
gog lake lies in the N. W. corner.
One "of the shire towns in Essex
co. This is the oldest and largest
seaport but one in old Massachu-
setts. Its Indian name was JV'a-
vmkeag. It is 14 hides N. N. E.
from Boston, and lies in lat. 42° 31'
19" N., and Ion. 70° 54S W. Popu-
lation, 1836,15,002. Salem-is near-
ly,surrounded hy water, being sit-
uated between two inlets of the sea,
called the north and south rivers.
To the main, and now inhabited part
of the town, is attached apeninsular
portion of land, called the Neck.
This was the first inhabited land,
and was formerly used for fishing
and other purposes. It ultimately
became the property of the town,
and was, for a long time, used as a
public pasture. In 1816, when the
present Alms House was built, a
large portion of it was enclosed, and
has since heen cultivated as the
Alms House farm. The finest and
most comprehensive view of Sa-
lem may be had from “ Gallows
Hill.” Its situation is low, but
pleasant' and healthy. Its streets
are quite irregular. Essex is the
only street which runs through the
town and is very angular and crook-
ed. Federal and Bridge streets are
broad, straight and regular. Ches-