Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 416
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Stevens’ River, Vt.

Caledonia co. This excellent
mill stream rises in Peacham and
Ryegate. It received its name in
compliment to Captain Phineas Ste-
vens, .the brave defender of Charles-
town, N. H. The waters of this
river are remarkably clear, and its
banks luxuriant and romantic. It
meanders about 15 miles, and in its
course through Barnet it receives
Harvey’-s lake, a pellucid sheet of
prater, covering an area of 300
acres. This beautiful river min-.
gles its crystal waters with those of
the Connecticut, at Barnet, by a
leap of 100 feet in the distance of
ten rods, as it were in joy to meet
a sister stream on its passage to the
bosom of the ocean.

Stewartstown, N. II.,

Coos co., lies on the E. side of
the Connecticut, which washes its
W. boundary, a distance of 7 miles.
It lies 150 miles N. W. from Port-
land, 150 N. from Concord, and
is bounded N. by Canada.

The Connecticut river is about
15 rods in width at this place.—
Bishop’s brook, a considerable
stream, rises in this town, and falls
into the Connecticut at the N. W.
corner. Dead water and Mohawk
rivers have their sources here.
Hall’s stream, also, unites with
the Connecticut in Stewartstown.
There are two ponds in the E. part
of this town, called Little and Great
Diamond ponds, both well stocked
with salmon trout. There are no
large mountains in Stewartstown,
although there are many elevations.
The soil of the intervale is rich,
and the uplands productive.

Stewartstown was incorporated in
1799. During the late war a block
house or fort was erected in this
town for defence by7 a company of
militia, and occupied until August,
1814, when it was destroyed. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 529.

Stillwater, Me.

Penobscot co. A very flourish-
ing village, on the lower falls of
Penobscot river, in the town of Oro-
no. An immense amount of lum-
ber is sawed at this place, and raft-
ed down to. the Bangor market. See

Stockbridge, Vt.

Windsor co. This town lies 36
miles S. by W. from Alontpelier,
and 26 N. W. from Windsor. First
settled, 1783'. Population, 1830,


White river passes' through the
town, and at a place called the
“ Great Narrows,” it is compressed
into a channel of but a few feet in
width, aDd, affords the only good
mill seat in town. The soil of the
town is better for pasturage than
tillage. It feeds about five thou-
sand five hundred sheep.

Stockbridge, Mass.

Berkshire co. This is a fine
farming town on both sides of the
Housatonick river, 130 miles W.
from Boston, afid 6 S. from Lenox.
Incorporated, 1739. Population,
1830, 1,580;' 1837, 2,036.

The soil of this town is adapted
to all kinds of culture; much of it
is rich alluvial meadow, and the
uplands produce excellent feed for

Here is an excellent hydraulic
power, and a pleasant village on an
extended plain, surrounded by de-
lightful scenery.

There are one cotton and two
woolen mills in .the town, two tan-
neries, and manufactures of pig
iron, iron castings, chairs, boots,
shoes, and machinery for boring
iron and wood : total amount of the
manufactures, for the year ending
April 1, 1637, $380,765. Marble
is abundant.

A tribe of Indians had a reserva-
tion of 6 miles square in this town,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.