Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 436
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


interest to the curious traveller.-
The rocks here are chlorite, ser-
pentine,‘limestone, soapstone and
mica slate.

Trumbull, Ct.

Fairfield co. This territory was
formerly called North Stratford, and
was .taken from Stratford and incor-
porated as a town, in 17.98. This
is a small town of about 5 by 4 1-2'
miles. ItliesS miles N. from the
city of Bridgeport. It is watered
by the Pequannock which empties
into Bridgeport harbor. The sur-
face is varied by hills and valleys j
the soil is a gravelly loam, produc-
tive of good crops of grain and hay.
Population, 1830, 1,242..
■tashua hill
, in the north part of the
town, is the first land seen, in this
direction, from the ocean.

Truro, Mass.

Barnstable co. Truro lies* on
Cape Cod bay, between Welfleet
and Provincetown; if is nearly sur-
rounded by water;—by Pame.t riv-
er, which sets in from Cape Cod bay'
on the south, and by Cape Cod har-
bor in Provincetown. Truro was
Pamet of the Indians, and after
its settlement, in 1700, was called
Dangerfieid for some years. Pam-
et river affords a good harbor for
fishermen ; it lies about 5 miles S.
E.from Provincetown harbor. There
is in this town, near the light house,
a vast body of clay, called the“ Clay
Pounds,” which seems ‘providen-
tially placed, in the midst of sand
hills, for the preservation of this
part of the cape. Although there
is but little vegetation at Truro, arid
the people are dependent almost en-
tirely for their fuel, and most of
their food on other places; yet there
are but few towns in the state
where the people are more flour-
ishing, and independent in their
circumstances. To such towns as
this old Massachusetts looks with
pride for one of her chief resourc-
es of wealth—the fishery; and for
men of noble daringin all her en-
terprises on the ocean. In-1837,
there were 63 vessels owned at
Truro, employed in the cod and
mackerel fishery, measuring 3,437
tons;-the product of which, in one
year, was 16,950 quintals of cod
fish, and- 15,750 barrels of mack-
erel, valued at $145,350. The
number of hands employed was
5.12. The value of salt manufac-
tured, annually, is about $20,000.
There are also, manufactures of
palm-leaf hats, boots, shoes, &c.

• No one would suppose that this
was much of a wool growing place ;
and it is not so in regard to the
quantity grown, but much so as it
regards its means. In 1837, the
people of Truro sheared 400 sheep
of* their own rearing. If the sin-
gle county of Penobscot, in Maine,
would produce as much wool, in
proportion to its territory and the
quality of its soil, as the town of
Truro, there would be no cause of
strife about the tariff on wool or
woolen cloths; for the quantity
would be sufficient to clothe all the
inhabitants-on the globe.

Truro was incorporated in 1709.
It lies 41 miles below Barnstable,
and 106 from Boston, by land. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 1,549 ; 1837,1,806.

Tuftonborougli, X. II.,

Strafford co., is about 50 miles E.
by N. from- Concord, situated on
the N. E. shore of Winnepisiogee
lake; bounded N. E. by Ossipee,
S. E, by Wolfeborough, S. W. and
W. by the lake, and N. W.by Moul-

There are several ponds in this
town, together with many small
streams running into* the lake.—
There are several arms of the lake
stretching far into the town, and
presenting to the spectator, from the
elevated parts of the town, a suc-
cession of beautiful views.

Tuftonborough was originally
granted to J. Tufton Mason, and
took its name from him. It was


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.