Voluntown is 14 miles E. from
Norwich, and is bounded by Rhode
Island on the east, and North Ston-
ington on the south. Population, in
1830, 1,304. The town is watered
by Wood river, a branch of the
Pawcatuck, on which are one wool-
en and two cotton mills.
Waclxusett Mountain, Mass.
Worcester co. See Princeton.
Wait’s River, Vt.
Orange co. Branches of this
river rise in Orange, Topsham, and
Washington ; they meet at Brad-
ford, and fail into the Connecticut.-
This- river, and the streams that
compose it, are rather rapid in their
course, and furnish many valuable
mill privileges. Below the falls,
in Bradford, this river is more gen-
tle,- and in its course it fertilizes
a tract of intervale. Its longest
branch is about 20 miles. Its
mouth, on the Connecticut, is about
100 feet in width.
Washington co. Mad river, a
small, rapid stream, passes circui-
tously through this town, fertilizing
the soil, and affording it good mill
seats. The uplands are a deep
loam, fertile, and productive of all
the varieties of a northern climate.
Here are fine pastures, and between
5,000 and 6,000 sheep.
There are some manufactures in
the town, but the people are gener-
ally farmers, and make a good
business of it. Good clay for mak-
ing earthern ware, iron ore, and
rock crystal are found here. This
town lies 11 miles S. W. from Mont-
pelier, and 30 S. E. from Burling-
ton. Population, 1830, 985.
The settlement of Waitsfield was
commenced in 1789, by General
Benjamin Wait, from Sudbu-
ry, Massachusetts. General Wait
entered the service of his country
at the. age of 18, and performed
much difficult service with grea’
bravery and success. At the age
of 25 he had been engaged in forty
battles and skirmishes : his clothes
were several times perforated with
musket balls, but he never received
a wound. In 1776, he entered the
revolutionary army as captain, and
acquired the rank of colonel. Af-
ter the war, he was made a briga-
dier general of militia, and was
high sheriff of the county of Wind-
sor seven years. General Wait,
having lived to see the town he
had planted in its wilderness state,
covered with fruitful fields, and
peopled by independent yeomen,
died in 1822, aged 86 years.
Wakefield, N. H.
Strafford co. This town lies 50
miles N. E. from Concord, and 30
N. by W. from Dover; bounded
N. W. by Ossipee and Effingham,
E. by Maine, S. E. by Milton, W.
by Middleton and Brookfield.
Love well’s pond, in the S. part of
the town, is about 700 rods long, 275
wide. Province pond lies between
Wakefield and Effingham, and is
450 rods long, 400 wide. Pine
river pond is the source of the river
of that name flowing N. W. into Os-
sipee lake. The principal branch
of the Piscataqua has its rise in
East pond, between Wakefield and
Newfield, Maine. The soil of
this town is generally good.
The town was formerly called
East-town, and was incorporated
in 1774, by its present name.
There are several cotton mills in
this town, and various other manu-
Lovewell’s pond, in this town,
derived its name from Captain John
Lovewell, of Dunstable, who, on
the 20th February, 1725, surprised
and destroyed a party of Indians
encamped on the side of the pond.
Robert Macklirv, distinguished for
longevity, died here in 1787, at the
age of 115. He was born in Scot-
land. Population, 1S30, 1,470.