Hayward’s New England Gazetteer (1839) page 511
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


es. “ Fish Pond,” in Wolcott, is a
pretty piece of water, and bears
an appropriate name. There is
some good grain land in tbe town,
but most of the lands are fit only
for pasturage. There are some
mills in the town, and about 1,500

Wolcott was chartered in 1781.
It is
22 miles N. from Montpelier,
and 7 S. E. from Hyde Park. Pop-
ulation, 1830, 492.

Wolcott, Ct.

New Haven co. This is a small
town, watered by abranchof Nau-
gatuck river; 22 miles N. from
New Haven. Population, 1830,
843. The town was incorporated
in 1796. The territory was former-
ly a parish in the towns of Far-
mington and Waterbury; and from
that circumstance was called “ Far-
mingbury.” The lands in Wol-
cott are elevated, rough, stony, and
hard to cultivate. One of the
highest hills in this part of the
state lies in this town : it commands
a very extended prospect of Long
Island Sound and the adjacent

Wolcottville, Ct.

See Torrington.

Wolfeborough, N. H.

Strafford co. This town is 45
miles N. N. W. from Portsmouth,
and 45 N. E. from Concord. It is
bounded S. E. by Brookfield and
New Durham, S. W. by Winne-
pisiogee lake and Alton, N. E. by
Ossipee, and N. W. by Tuftonbo-

The soil is rocky, but produc-
tive, and the face of the country
level. The wood is principally oak
and other hard timber. The only
river is Smith’s, so called from a
hunter of that name: it issues from
a large pond of the same name in
the S. E. part of the town, and
discharges its waters into the lake^
There are four other ponds of con-
siderable magnitude, called Crook-
ed, Rust’s, Barton’s, and Sargent’s
ponds. There is a bridge over
Smith’s river about 60 feet long,
near its entrance into the lake.
Near this bridge is a pleasant vil-

The charter of Wolfehorough
was granted in 1770, to Gov. John
Wentworth, Mark H. Wentworth
and others. Gov. Wentworth, dis-
tinguished for his enterprise and
taste, and a fondness for agricultural
improvements, erected a splendid
mansion about 5 miles east of the
bridge, and made it his summer

At the foot of a hill, near one of
the ponds in this town, is a miner-
al spring, the waters of which are
of a quality similar to those of Sara-
toga, but not so strongly impregna-
ted. Population, 1830,1,928.

Wonasquatucket River, R. I.

Providence co. This river rises
in Smithfield, and after, passing
nearly through that town,, it runs
between North Providence and
Johnston, and forms the head of
Providence river. This stream is
celebrated for its hydraulic power
and the numerous manufacturing
establishments erected on its banks.

Woodbridge, Ct.

New Haven co. The territory
of this town belonged to the towns
of New Haven and Miftbrd, and
was called the parish of e? Amity,”
from 1739, until its incorporation in
1784. West river runs on the west
side of West Rock, a range of moun-
tains on the eastern border of the
town. The surface of the town is
hilly, but the soil is excellent for
grazing, and much butter and
cheese is annually taken to the
New Haven market, from which it
6 miles S. W. Population, in
V1S30, 844.

X The regicides, Goffe and Whal-
ley, had a number of places of con-
cealment in the limits of Wood-


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.