tral. Watered by the Little Wabash Eiver. Sur-
face level; soil productive.
Clay County, la., c. h. at Bowling Green. S.
W. central. Watered by the Eel Eiver and its
tributaries. Land mostly productive.
Clay County, Ky., c. h. at Manchester. S. E.
part. Watered by the S. fork of Kentucky Eiver.
Soil mostly of an indifferent quality.
Clay County, Mo., c. h. at Liberty. W. part,
on the N. bank of the Missouri. Fishing Eiver
and a branch of the Little Platte cross this county.
Surface undulating ; soil very fertile.
Clay, N. Y., Onondaga co. At the junction of
Oneida and Seneca Eivers. Surface undulating;
soil mostly fertile. 151 miles from Albany, and
10 N. from Syracuse.
Clay, 0., Knox co., is a flourishing agricul-
Clayton, Aa., c. h. Barbour co. 179 miles S. E.
Clayton, Ga., c. h. Eabun co. At the south-
ern base of the Blue Eidge. 181 miles N. from
Clayton County, Iowa, c. h. at Prairie La Porte.
In the N. E. corner, on the Mississippi. Drained
by Turkey Eiver. The soil on Turkey Eiver is
very fertile, and there are many good mill sites.
Lead ore is found in this county.
Clayton, N. Yiy Jefferson co. Bounded on the
N. W. by the St. Lawrence Eiver, and watered
by Chaumont Eiver and French Creek. The
surface is undulating, and the soil productive.
172 miles N. W. from Albany, and 12 miles N.
Clearfield County, Pa., c. h. at Clearfield. W.
central. Head branches of the W. fork of the
Susquehanna Eiver water this county. Surface
rough and mountainous, being situated between
the Main and Laurel ridge of the Alleghanies.
Soil mostly sterile.
Clearfield, Pa. A township of Cambria co.
Surface undulating; soil gravel and clay.
Clearfield, Pa., c. h. Clearfield co. On the S.
bank of the W. fork of Susquehanna Eiver, near
the mouth of Clearfield Creek, and 126 miles N.
W. from Harrisburg.
Cleaveland County, N. C., c. h. at Shelby. On
the southern border. West middle. Broad Eiver
waters this county.
Cleaveland, Te., c. h. Bradley co. 156 miles
S. E. by E. from Nashville.
Clermont, N. Y., Columbia co. Watered by
Ancram or Eoeliff Jansen's Creek. The surface
undulating; soil clay and gravelly loam of good
quality. 43 miles S. from Albany.
Clermont County, 0., c. h. at Batavia. In the
south-western corner, on the Ohio. In some parts
the land is wet, and not good for cultivation; but
it is generally fertile, and is watered by the East
Cleveland, 0. City and port of entry and c. h.
Cuyahoga co. On Lake Erie, at the mouth of
Cuyahoga Eiver. It derives its name from Gen-
eral Moses Cleveland, an agent of the Connecti-
cut land company, who accompanied the first
surveying party to the Connecticut Eeserve, and
under whose direction the town was first surveyed
in 1796. The Indian title to the land it occupies
had been extinguished two years before; but on
the opposite side of the Cuyahoga Eiver the In-
dians retained their title till 1805. Cleveland
was incorporated as a village in 1814, and as a
city in 1836. Population in 1799, one family; in |
1825, about 500; in 1830, 1000; in 1840, 6071;
in 1850, 17,054. It is 130 miles N. W. from
Pittsburg, 146 N. E. from Columbus, 200 S. W.
from Buffalo, 130 E. from Detroit.
It is situated on a gravelly plain, elevated
about 80 feet above the lake, of which it has a
commanding prospect. The streets, which cross
each other at right angles, are 80 feet wide, and
Main Street 120. The location is dry and healthy,
and there are many fine buildings. Near the
centre is a public square of 10 acres, neatly
enclosed and shaded with trees.
The harbor at the mouth of the Cuyahoga,
since its improvement, by piers on each side ex-
tending into the water, is one of the best on Lake
Erie, and its position at the northern terminus of
the Ohio Canal, and the fertile country and en-
terprising population by which it is surrounded,
have given it a very rapid growth, which as yet
is but just commencing.
It is already the second commercial town in
Ohio, and bids fair even to rival Cincinnati. Be-
sides its intercourse with the interior of the state
by the Ohio Canal, and its extensive lake com-
merce, it communicates by the Ohio and Penn-
sylvania Canal with Pittsburg, and by the New
York and Welland Canals with the Atlantic
coast. To these facilities for transportation have
lately been added a system of railroads, affording
communication with Cincinnati, Detroit, Pitts-
burg, and Buffalo, and through these two latter
places with Philadelphia, New York, and Bos-
ton. Ohio City, on the opposite side of the Cuy-
ahoga, is a growing suburb. See Ohio City.
Clifton Park, N. Y., Saratoga co. On the Mo-
hawk Eiver. Surface undulating; soil a sandy
loam, of tolerably good quality. 22 miles N.
Clinch County, Ga. South part, taken from
Ware. Only 673 inhabitants in 1850, and no
Clinton, Ct., Middlesex co. 51 miles S. by' E.
Clinton, Ga., c. h. Jones co. 26 miles W. from
Clinton County, Is., c. h. at Carlyle. South
central. Surface undulating, and watered by
Kaskaskia Eiver; soil productive.
Clinton County, la., c. h. at Frankfort. N. W.
central. Watered by tributaries of Wildcat and
Sugar Creeks. Soil productive, with the excep-
tion of Twelve Mile Prairie."
Clinton. Ia., Vermilion co. On the Wabash
Eiver. 82 miles W. from Indianapolis.
Clinton County, Io., c. h. at De Witt. The
easternmost county in the state. In the N. angle,
between the Wabisipinicon Eiver and the Mis-
Clinton County, Ky., c. h. at Albany. On the
southern border E. Surface diversified, and wa-
tered by several small tributaries of the Cumber-
land Eiver; soil fertile.
Clinton, Me., Kennebec co. A fine township
on the W. bank of the Kennebec. The Sebas-
ticook also passes through it, and at the falls
affords fine water power. 24 miles N. by E.
Clinton, Ms., Worcester co. A new manufac-
turing town on the Nashua, set off mostly from
Clinton County, Mn., c. h. at De Witt. Cen-
tral. Watered by Maple and Lookingglass
Eivers and branches. Surface level; soil fertile