Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 356

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 355 ...Page 357

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


ceous loam prevails, which is favorable to the
production of grasses. Extensive ledges of gran-
ite are found here. A large block of it, weighing
60 or 70 tons, was formerly poised so exactly
between two stones, as to be visibly moved by
the wind. It was dislodged from this position
by the curiosity of some visitors. Durham was
originally a part of Dover. Oyster River was so
called from the abundance of oysters found in it.
32 miles E. by
S. from Concord, and 11 W. N. W.
from Portsmouth.

Durham, N. Y., Greene co. Drained by the
Catskill and some of its tributaries. The sur-
face is hilly and uneven; soil clay and gravelly
loam. 20 miles N. W. from Catskill, and 34
S. W. from Albany.

Durham, Pa., Bucks co. Bounded E. by the
Delaware River, and drained by Cook's or Dun-
ham Creek, a mill stream. In this town is the
Devil's Hole, a large cave, at the bottom of
which is a basin of pure water, 20 feet wide, and
having a subterranean outlet. 20 miles N. E.
from Doylestown.

Durhamvitte, N. Y., Oneida co. On both sides
of Oneida Creek. 125 miles W. N. W. from

Dutchess County, N. Y., c. h. at Poughkeepsie.
Bounded by Columbia co. on the N., by the
state of Connecticut on the E., by Putnam co.
on the
S., and by the Hudson River on the W.
It was incorporated in 1683. Wappinger's, Fish-
kill, and Ten Mile Creeks drain the surface,
which is somewhat hilly and uneven. Soil chiefly
fertile. It is rich in mineral productions, the
principal of which are iron, marble, and lead.
Peat and marl are also abundant, and there are
one or two remarkable gas springs.

Duval County, Fa., c. h. at Jacksonville. Bound-
ed N.
by Georgia, E. by the Atlantic Ocean, S.
by St. John's and Alachua counties, and W. by
Alachua and Columbia counties. Watered by the
Nassau, St. John's, and Black Rivers.

Duxhury, Ms., Plymouth co. This is an im-
portant maritime town. The harbor is formed
by a peninsula called the Gurnet, jutting out in a
S. E. direction from Marshfield on the N., of
about 6 miles in length. The soil of Duxbury
is generally unproductive; yet there are some
fertile spots. Its Indian name was Mattakeeset.
There is an apple-tree here noted for its age,
size, and fruitfulness. It is upwards of 100 years
old. It is 40 feet in height, and its circumfer-
ence, 8 inches from the ground, is 16 feet. Its
fruit, in 1 year, has made 10 barrels of cider,
besides 30 bushels for the cellar. The village
in Duxbury is pleasantly located on elevated
ground, in full view of the sea. Beyond it,
about 2 miles distant, is “ Standish Hill," part
of the farm of the renowned Captain Miles Stan-
dish, the military hero of New England. 6 miles
N. from Plymouth, and 30 S. E. from Boston.

Duxhury, Vt., Washington co. The south and
western parts of this township are mountainous,
and incapable of settlement. Nearly all the in-
habitants are confined to the margin of Wi-
nooski River, and the north-eastern parts of the
township. This township is watered by Winoos-
ki River, which forms the northern boundary, by
Duxbury branch, on which is a considerable
settlement, and several small branches of Mad
River. The natural bridge over Winooski River
is between this town and Waterbury, and near it
are some curious caverns. The settlement was
commenced about the year
1786. 11 miles W.
from Montpelier.

Dyer County, Te., c. h. at Dyersburg. Bounded
N. by Obion co., E. by Gibson, S. by Lauder-
dale, and W. by the Mississippi River. Drained
by Obion and Forked Deer Rivers. Surface
uneven, with the exception of the flats on the
border of the Mississippi.

Eagle, N. Y., Alleghany co. Caneadea and
Wiskay Creeks water this town. The surface is
undulating; the soil favorable to the growth
of grass and grain. 264 miles W. by S. from

Eagle Harbor, Mn., Houghton co. This vil-
lage, on Keewaiwona Point, has sprung up in
the immediate neighborhood of several important
mines of copper and silver. The village takes
its name from that of the little harbor in the
bosom of which it is seated. The first house
erected at this place was put up by Colonel Charles
Gratiot, for the accommodation of the pioneer
miners employed by the Lake Superior Copper
Company in 1844; and it was at this place that
the first search for native copper commenced.
That year some of the veins yielded a promising
return of copper; but the ground was not found
to be so favorable for mining purposes as that
of Eagle River, a few miles farther to the west-
ward. There are now wrought, near Eagle Har-
bor, several very valuable mines; among them,
the North-West, Copper Falls, and North-West-
ern mines are most conspicuous. This harbor is
the nearest safe shelter for small vessels that
the miners can avail themselves of, and hence its
importance. Good hotels and comfortable ac-
commodations now invite the traveller to this
spot, which seven or eight years ago was an un-
broken wilderness.

By means of gib nets an abundance of large
lake trout and of white fish is caught off this
harbor. Trout may also be taken by trolling
with a long line from a sail boat. Siskowit, a
fat species of salmon, are also occasionally caught
at this place, but they are not abundant, their
range being limited to the coast of Isle Royale,
40 miles N. of Keewaiwona Point, a few rarely
straying across this part of the lake.

The climate of Eagle Harbor is like that of Kee-
waiwona Point, generally much milder than that
of the Sault St. Marie, on account of its being
nearly surrounded by the deep waters of Lake
Superior, which preserve an invariable tempera-
ture of about 39i degrees Fahrenheit, and thus
moderate the heat of the air in both summer and
winter. Potatoes and some early garden plants
thrive on Keewaiwona Point, but Indian corn
rarely ripens there. Oats, barley, and summer
wheat do very well.

Eagle River Settlement, Mn., Houghton co.
Eagle River is 8 miles W. of Eagle Harbor, in
lat. 47° 23; 28,/ N. The stream enters the lake
over a sandy bar, and the bay offers no shelter
for vessels, so that it is only practicable to take
on board the steamers' cargoes of copper during
good weather. In case of storms, the vessels
run to Eagle Harbor for shelter.

Owing to the discovery of the most valuable
mines of copper and silver near this river, a con-
siderable village has sprung up at its mouth, and
a numerous population of miners and persons
connected with the mines reside at the mining
stations up the river, at the Phoenix Cliff and

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.