Bounded N. by Grayson co., E. by Hart, S.
by Warren, and W. by Butler. Watered by Green
River and its tributaries, and Nolin and Bear
Creeks. Soil productive.
Edwards County, Is., c. h. at Albion. Bounded
N. by Richland co., E. by Bon Pas Creek,
separating it from Wabash co., S. by White, and
W. by Wayne co. Watered on the W. by the
Little Wabash River. Surface undulating; soil
Edwards, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Situated at
the junction of the E. and W. branches of the
Oswegatchie River. The surface is uneven; the
soil favorable to the growth of grass. 24 miles
S. from Canton village, and 194 N. W. from Al-
Edwardsville, Is., c. h. Addison co.
Effingham County, Ga., c. h. at Springfield.
Bounded N. by Scriven co., E. by the Savannah
River, separating it from South Carolina, S. by
Chatham co., and W. by the Ogeechee River, sep-
arating it from Bryan and Bullock counties.
Effingham County, Is., c. h. at Ewington.
Bounded N. by Shelby co., E. by Jasper, S.
by Clay, and W. by Fayette co. Drained by
the Little Wabash River and its branches. Sur-
face slightly uneven; soil fertile on the margins
of the streams, but at very high flood liable to
Effingham, N. H., Carroll co. There are several
mountains, of considerable elevation, in this town.
Ossipee River passes through it, over which is a
toll bridge. Its former name was Leavitt Town.
There is a large pond near the Ossipee River, and
Province Pond lies between Effingham and Wake-
field. 60 miles N. E. from Concord, and 5 N.
'Egg Harbor, Great, N. J., Atlantic co. The
surface of this town is level, and for several miles
from the shore marshy; the remainder is dry and
Egg Harbor, Little, Burlington co., N. J. Bass
River, and other streams flowing into Little Egg
Harbor, drain this town. Surface level and sandy.
35 miles S. E. from Mount Holly.
Egremont, Ms., Berkshire co. Part of this
township is mountainous, rough, and cragged;
some parts are undulating, some level, and most
of the land is fit for the plough or grazing. Green
River passes through the N. E. corner of the
town, and with several brooks and ponds, aflords
it a water power sufficient for domestic uses.
This town was first settled by the Dutch, and
afterwards by the English, about the year 1730.
140 miles W. by S. from Boston, and 25 S. by
W. from Pittsfield.
Elba, N. Y., Genesee co. Oak Orchard Creek
waters this town, the surface of which is undulat-
ing, and the soil somewhat sandy. 7 miles
N. from Batavia, and 250 W. by N. from Al-
Elbert County, Ga., c. h. at Elberton. Bounded
N. by Franklin co., E. by the Savannah River,
separating it from South Carolina, and S. and W.
by Broad River, separating it from Lincoln,
Wilkes, Oglethorpe, and Madison counties. Sur-
face hilly; soil mostly productive.
Elberton, Ga., c. h. Elbert co. Ill miles N. N.
E. from Milledgeville.
Elbridge, N. Y., Onondaga co. Watered by
the outlet of Skaneateles Lake. The surface is
slightly uneven, and the soil fertile. Indian an-
tiquities of considerable interest are found in this
vicinity. 13 miles W. from Syracuse, and 149
W. by N. from Albany.
El Dorado County, Ca., c. h. at Antonia. lit
the mountains E. of the Sacramento, between
Dry Creek of the Moquelumne and Middle Fork
of American River.
Elizabeth, As., c. h. Jackson co. On the E.
side of White River, at the head of steamboat
navigation, and a little below the mouth of Big
Black River. 118 miles N. E. from Little Rock.
Elizabeth City, N. C., c. h. Pasquotank co. On
Pasquotank River, 20 miles from its mouth, and
has a water communication with Norfolk, Va.,
by means of the Pasquotank River, Dismal
Swamp Canal, and Elizabeth River. 215 miles
E. by N. from Raleigh. It trades with the West
Indies in pine lumber.
Elizabeth, N. J., Essex co. Bounded on the
E. by Newark Bay and Staten Island Sound,
and is drained by Bound and Morss Brooks.
Soil rich, and partly marshy.
Elizabeth, Pa., Alleghany co. On the E. side
of the Monongahela River, 14 miles S. from
Pittsburg, and 192 W. from Harrisburg. Many
steamboats are built here, and by a slack water
navigation boats of a large class come up to this
place. There are manufactures of glass ware,
woollen goods, flour, &c.
Elizabeth, Pa., Lancaster co. Between Trout
Creek on the E., and Hammer Creek on the W.,
and is drained by Middle and Seglock Creeks.
Surface hilly; soil gravel and red shale.
Elizabeth City County, Va., o. h. at Hampton.
This is one of the eight shires into which Vir-
ginia was divided in 1634. It is bounded N.
by York co., E. by Chesapeake Bay, S. by
Hampton Roads, and AV. by Isle of AVight co.
It has a level surface, and good soil.
Elizabethport, N. J., Essex co. On Staten Isl-
and Sound, near the junction of Newark Bay, and
47 miles N. E. from Trenton. A railroad from
this place connects with Easton, Pa., on the Del-
aware River. There is daily communication, by
steamboats, with New York city.
Elizabethtown, Is., c. h. Hardin co. 219 miles
S. S. E. from Springfield.
Elizabethtown, N. C., c. h. Bladen co. On the
W. side of Cape Fear River. 40 miles above
Wilmington, and 99 S. from Raleigh.
Elizabethtown, N. J., seat of justice of Essex
co. On Elizabethtown Creek, 2£ miles from its
entrance into Staten Island Sound. This beau-
tiful place is regularly laid out, with broad streets,
and has many fine buildings, among which are
the Court House, the First and Second Presby-
terian, and the Episcopal Churches. This was
the third settlement made in New Jersey, and
for many years was the largest and most flour-
ishing place in the province. The first public
buildings of the jurisdiction of East Jersey,
were here, and the first General Assembly met
here from 1668 to 1682. The First Presbyterian
Church is the oldest congregation in the state
organized for worship in the English language.
During the revolution this town was greatly har-
assed, and its church edifice, standing where the
noble building of the First Presbyterian Church
now stands, was fired by the torch of a refugee,
and burned to the ground. The College of New
Jersey, afterwards located at Princeton, com-
menced its existence here. The building in
which its first exercises were held was also
burned down during the war.