of the village, about 200 feet in height, overlooks
four of the adjacent towns, and affords an exten-
sive prospect out to sea.
Near the N. W. boundary is the battle ground
where the battle of Long Island was fought in
1776, under the immediate command of Generals
Putnam and Sullivan; which, issuing unfavor-
ably for the Americans, led to the masterly retreat
of the troops, under Washington, from Long
Flatlands, N. Y., King's co., embraces Barren
and some other small, marshy islands. The sur-
face is level: soil productive, when properly cul-
tivated. 8 miles S. E. from Brooklyn, and 153
S. from Albany.
Fleming County, Ky., c. h. at Flemingsburg.
Bounded N. by Mason and Lewis counties, E. by
Carter, S. by Morgan and Licking River, separ-
ating it from Bath co., and W. by Nicholas co.
Surface mountainous in the E. and S. portions;
soil fertile, being based upon limestone.
Fleming, N. Y., Cayuga co. On the W. border
of Owasco Lake. Drained by Crane Brook and
some other small streams. The surface is undu-
lating ; soil clay loam of good quality. 4 miles
S. from Auburn, and 160 W. from Albany.
Flemingsburg, Ky., c. h. Eleming co. On Stock-
ton Run, 1 mile from its junction with Eleming
Creek, and 95 miles E. by N. from Erankfort.
Flemington, N. J., c. h. of Hunterdon co. This
town, 25 miles N. by W. from Trenton, is very
pleasantly situated on an undulating plain, one
mile N. of which is a high eminence which'over-
looks the village and surrounding country, and
affords a delightful view of it. The village is
mostly built on one street, which has many hand-
some dwellings, and is marked by a general ap-
pearance of neatness and thrift. The court house
is a spacious stone building, with a Doric portico,
in the basement of which is the county prison.
There are two copper mines near this place. The
soil of the surrounding country is red shale, and
Fletcher, Yt., Eranklin co. The River La-
moille just touches upon the southern extremity
of this township. Metcalf Pond is about one mile
long from N. to S., and one third of a mile wide
from E. to W. It discharges its waters at the S.
end, forming one of the head branches of Black
Creek. This stream, Fairfield River, and Stone's
Brook are the principal waters. The surface of
this township is considerably broken. The town
was chartered to Moses Rolinson, John Fay, and
others, in 1781. The settlement was commenced
in 1784. 22 miles N. N. W. from Montpelier, and
about 18 S. E. from St. Albans.
Florence, Aa. Shire town of Lauderdale co.
On the N. side of the River Tennessee, imme-
diately below the Muscle Shoals. It is situated
on an elevated plain, 100 feet above the river.
The streets are 100 feet wide, and cross each other
at right angles. Except when the water is low,
steamboats ascend from the Ohio to this place ; so
that it carries on some trade with New Orleans.
Above Elorence, there is a railroad from Tuscum-
bia, nearly opposite, on the river, to Decatur, a
distance of 46 miles, to avoid the shoals ; above
which the river is again navigable as far as Knox-
ville, Te. At Chattanooga, near the S. border of
Tennessee, the boats connect with an extensive
railroad route through the N. part of Georgia to
Augusta, and thence to Charleston, S. C., a dis-
tance, in the whole, of about 440 miles. Eor an in-
terior location, Elorence is well situated for busi-
Florence, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by trib-
utaries of Eish Creek. The surface is slightly
uneven. 33 miles N. W. from Utica, and 127
Florida, Ms., Berkshire co., comprises a part
of Zoar, an unincorporated district. This town-
ship is situated on the height of the Green Moun-
tain range ; its surface is broken, and its climate
severe. Hoosic Mountain, 1448 feet above Deer-
field River, which washes its eastern boundary,
and other mountains in the town, offer to the be-
holder some of the finest Alpine scenery in the
state. 125 miles W. by N. from Boston, and 22
N. N. E. from Pittsfield.
Florida, N. Y., Montgomery co. The Mohawk
River and Schoharie Creek water this town. Sur-
face undulating; soil favorable to the growth of
wheat. 8 miles S. E. from Eonda, and 34 N. W.
Floyd County, Ga., c. h. at Rome. Bounded N.
by Chatooga and Walker counties, E. by Murray
and Cass, S. by Paulding co., and W. by Aa.
The Oostanaula and Etowah unite to form the
Coosa, in this county, which is also watered by Ce-
dar and Chatooga Creeks. Surface uneven; soil
rich on the borders of the streams.
Floyd County, la., c. h. at New Albany. In-
corporated in 1819, and bounded N. by Washing-
ton and Scott counties, E. by Clark co., S. E. by
the Ohio River, separating it from Ky., and S.
and W. by Harrison co. Watered by Silver, and
the head branches of Indian Creek. Surface
hilly; soil rich.
Floyd County, Ky., c. h. at Prestonburg. Bound-
ed N. by Morgan and Johnson counties, E. by
Pike, S. by Letcher, and W. by Perry and Brea-
thitt. Watered by the head branches of Kentucky
and Licking, and the W. fork of Big Sandy Riv-
er. Surface high and hilly.
Floyd, N. Y., Oneida co. On the N. side of
the Mohawk. Watered on the E. by Nine Mile
Creek. The surface is rolling; the soil fertile,
and particularly suitable for grass. 8 miles N.
from Utica, and 100 N. W. from Albany.
Floyd County, Va., c. h. at Jacksonville. Bound-
ed N. by Montgomery, E. by Franklin. S. by
Patrick and Carroll, and W. by Pulaski co. Sur-
face mountainous, and watered by Little River
and its tributaries; soil suitable for grazing.
Floyd, Va., c. h. Eloyd co. 215 miles W. S. W.
Flushing, N. Y., Queen's co. Bounded on the
N. by Long Island Sound. Flushing and Little
Neck Bays, with the streams flowing into them,
also water this town. The surface is mostly level;
soil well tilled and productive. 6 miles W. from
North Hempstead, and 156 S. from Albany.
Fluvanna County, Va., c. h. at Palmyra. In-
corporated in 1777, and bounded N. by Albe-
marle and Louisa counties, E. by Goochland co.,
S. by James River, separating it from Cumber-
land and Buckingham counties, and W. by Albe-
marle co. It is traversed by the Ravenna River.
Surface mostly rough ; soil good on the rivers.
Gold is found in this region.
Fonda, N. Y., c. h. Montgomery co. On the
N. side of Mohawk River, and on the railroad
from Albany to Buffalo, 42 miles W. from Alba-
ny. This is a prosperous manufacturing place.
Fond du Lac County, Wn., c. h. at Fond du
Lac. Bounded N. by Winnebago and Cal-