Hanover, Pa., Beaver co. Drained by Big and
Little Traviss, branches of Raccoon Creek. Sur-
face undulating; soil calcareous loam.
Hanover, Pa., Dauphin co. Bounded W. by
Beaver Creek, and drained by Manaday Creek
and Bow Run, branches of Swatara Creek. Sur-
face undulating; soil argillaceous loam and
sandstone. 15 miles S. E. from Harrisburg.
Hanover, Pa., Luzerne co. Drained by Nanti-
coke and Soloman's Creeks, mill streams flow-
ing into the Susquehanna River, which bounds it
on the N.- W. Surface mountainous, abounding
with anthracite coal.
Hanover, Pa., Lehigh co. Drained by Cale-
soque Creek, a branch of the Lehigh River.
Surface level; soil rich calcareous loam.
Hanson, Ms., Plymouth co., was taken from
Pembroke in 1820. There are several large and
handsome ponds in the town, and several small
streams, which give it some water power. Part
of Monponset Pond lies in Hanson, from which,
and other ponds in the town, a variety of fish are
taken. In these ponds are large beds of bog iron
ore. 24^ miles S. E. from Boston, and 12| N.
W. from Plymouth by the Old Colony Railroad.
Harbor Creek, Pa., Erie co. Drained by a num-
ber of small streams flowing into Lake Erie,
which bounds it on the N. 6 miles N. E. from
Erie, and 219 N. W. from Harrisburg.
Hardeman County, Te, c. h. at Bolivar. Bound-
ed N. by Haywood and Madison counties, E. by
McNairy eo.,S. by Mississippi, and W. by Fayette
co. Watered by the Big Hatehy River and its
tributaries. Surface mostly level; soil sandy and
Hardin County, Is., c. h. at Elizabethtown.
Bounded N. and N. E. by Gallatin co., S. E. and
S. by the Ohio River, separating it from Ken-
tucky, and W. by Pope co. Drained by Big
Creek, a mill stream flowing into the Ohio River.
Surface rough and elevated. Iron and lead are
Hardin, Is., c. h. Calhoun co.
Hardin County, Ky., c. h. at Elizabethtown.
Bounded N. by the Ohio River from Indiana, E.
by the Rolling bork of Salt River, separating it
from Jefferson and Bullitt counties, S by Laurel
and Grayson, and W. by Breckenridge and
Meade counties. Drained by branches of Green
Hardin County, O., c. h. at Kenton. Bounded
N. by Hancock, E. by Crawford and Marion, S.
by Union and Logan, and W. by Allen counties.
It was organized in 1833, and has much valuable
land, which is watered by the Scioto, Miami, and
Tymochtee Rivers, and Blanchard's and Hoy
Hardin, 0.. c. h. Shelby co. 85 miles W. N
W. from Columbus.
Hardinsburg, Kv., c. h. Breckenridge co. Half
a mile E. from Hardin's Creek. 10 miles from
the Ohio River, and 115 W. S. W. from Frankfort.
Hardin County, Te., c. h. at Savannah. Bound-
ed N. by Henderson and Perry counties, E. by
Wavne co., S. by Alabama and Mississippi, and W.
by McNairy co. Watered by White Oak River,
Swift Creek, and other small streams flowing into
the Tennessee River, which traverses this county
from N. to S.
Hardwick, Ms., Worcester co. Although the
face of this town is rough, it has no very high
lands, and its soil is deep, loamy, moist, and very
fertile. This is one of the best grazing townships
in the county. It was settled in 1736, and was first
called Lambstown, from the name of one of its
first proprietors. Its Indian name was Wom-
bemesisecook. There are a number of small
streams in the town. Ware River washes its E.
and S. boundaries, and 2 large ponds, one of
which is called Pottabong, 2 miles in length, is
well stored with fish. From Furnace village, in
Hardwick, to the Brookfield depot, on the Western
Railroad, is about 8 miles S.; from thence to Bos-
ton is 67 miles.
Hardwick, N. J., Warren co. Pelinskill, Beaver
Brook, and the Bear branch of Request Creek
water this town, the surface of which is hilly, and
the soil fertile. 15 miles N. E. from Belvidere.
Hardwick, Vt., Caledonia co. Hardwick is
finely watered by Lamoille River, which gives the
town valuable mill sites. The soil is generally
very good, and produces a variety of exports.
There are in this town 3 small villages, called the
Street, or Hazen's Road, Stevensville, and La-
moilleville; the latter is the largest. There is a
mineral spring in the S. part of the town. About
the year 1790, the first permanent settlement was
made, by several families of the name of Norris,
from New Hampshire. 12 miles N. W. from
Danville, and 28 N. E. from Montpelier.
Haidy County, Va., c. h. at Moorefield. Bound-
ed N. by the N. branch of the Potomac River,
separating it from Maryland, and by Hampshire
co., E. by Frederick and Shenandoah counties, S.
by Rockingham and Pendleton counties, and W.
by Randolph co. Watered by the N. and S.
branches of the Potomac River, and by streams
flowing into them. Some of the land bordering
the streams is fertile, but the greater part is rough,
rocky, and sterile.
Harjdyston, N. J., Sussex co. Watered by the
Wallkill River, and two of its branches rising in
ponds in this town. Surface mountainous, being
crossed by the Hamburg or Wallkill Mountains.
Harford County, Md., c. h. at Belair. Bounded
N. by Pennsylvania, E. by the Susquehanna
River and Chesapeake Bay, separating it from
Cecil co., S. by Chesapeake Bay, and W. by Bal-
timore co. Watered by Deer Creek, Binum's
and Winter's Runs, and the Little Falls of Gun-
powder. Some of these streams afford good
mill sites. The soil is diversified, and on Deer
Creek the scenery is very beautiful and singular,
the banks being formed of perpendicular rock
from 200 to 300 feet in height. Limestone, iron,
and chromate of iron are abundant in some por-
tions of this county.
Harford, Pa., Susquehanna co. Watered by
Martin's, Partner's, and Van Winkle's Creeks,
all mill streams, and branches of Tunkhannocfc;
Creek. N. E. from Harrisburg 175 miles.
Harlan County, Ky., c. h. at Mount Pleasant.
Bounded N. by Perry and Letcher counties, E.
and S. by Virginia, and W. by Knox co. Wa-
tered by the Cumberland River and its branches.
Surface very high, and broken by the Laurel
Ridge on the N. W., and the Cumberland Moun-
tains on the E. and S.
Harlan, Ky., c. h. Harlan co.
Harmar, 0., Washington co. It is on the
site of old Fort Harmar, on the S. bank of the
Muskingum River. 164 miles E. S. E. from Co-
lumbus. The first fortification erected by the
Americans in Ohio.
Harmony, Me., Somerset co. A fertile town-
ship, 53 miles N. by E. from Augusta.