the Blackstone. These, with the aid of several
large reservoirs which have been constructed,
afford valuable mill sites. The village on Straw-
berry Hill, near the centre of the town, is very
pleasant, and commands delightful views for
many miles around. Here is situated an
academy, founded in 1784. Clappville, a busy,
pleasant village, on the Western Railroad, lies 4
miles S. from Strawberry Hill village, and 53
W. S. W. from Boston.
Leicester, N. Y., Livingston co. On the W.
side of the Genesee River. The surface on the
W. is elevated, sloping towards the river; soil of
good quality. 5 miles W. from Genesee, and 232
Leicester, Vt., Addison co. Leicester is wa-
tered by a river of its own name, by Otter Creek,
and by a part of Lake Dunmore. These waters
are too sluggish to afford the town much water
power. The soil is of a sandy loam, interspersed
with some flats of clay. Along the rivers the
soil is rich and productive. The highlands are
hard and fit for grazing. There are in this town
several beautiful ponds, which abound in trout
and other fish. The first settlement was com-
menced in 1773, by Jeremiah Parker, from Mas-
sachusetts. 36 miles S. W. from Montpelier, and
10 S. by E. from Middlebury. The Rutland
Railroad passes through this town.
Lemington, Vt., Essex co. This is a mountain-
ous township, on the W. side of Connecticut
River, with a small portion of intervale. There
are several brooks in the town, and a beautiful
cascade of 50 feet. There is a mountain in the
town called the Moqadnock of Vermont.''
Generally not adapted to cultivation. 25 miles
N. from Guildhall, and 64 N. E. from Montpelier.
Lernpster, N. H., Sullivan co. The surface is
uneven, and the eastern part mountainous. The
soil is moist, and better suited for grass than
grain. The town is well watered, although its
streams are small. One branch of Sugar, and
the S. and W'. branches of Cold River, afford
conveniences for water machinery. Near the
W. boundary line is a pond, 320 rods long, and
80 wide. Sand Pond lies in this town and Mar-
low. Eirst settlers, emigrants from Connecticut,
in 1770. 42 miles W. from Concord, and about
12 S. E. from Newport.
Lenawee County, Mn., c. h. at Adrian. Bound-
ed N. by Jackson and Washtenaw counties, E.
by Monroe co., S. by Ohio, and W. by Hillsdale
co. Surface slightly undulating, and watered by
Raisin and Ottawa Rivers; soil fertile, consist-
ing of sand and argillaceous loam. Iron ore is
Lenoir County, N. C., c. h. at Kingston. Bound-
ed N. by Greene co., E. by Pitt and Craven, S.
by Jones, and W. by Duplin and Wayne counties.
Watered by Neuse River and tributaries.
Lenoir, N. C., c. h. Caldwell co. On the S.
side of Yadkin River, near its head.
Lenox, Ms., c. h. Berkshire co. It was first set-
tled in 1750, and received the family name of the
Duke of Richmond. The land in the N. and W.
parts is hilly, in some parts stony, and in some
broken. The soil is more favorable to grass than
grain. The town abounds in limestone, also
various kinds of marble, and an abundance of
iron ore. The Housatonic passes through the
town from N. to S., and furnishes a small water
power. The centre of the town is very hand-
some. It is built upon a hill, on two streets,
intersecting each other nearly at right angles.
Lenox has fine mountain air, and is surrounded
by equally fine mountain scenery. 6 miles S.
from Pittsfield, and 157 W. from Boston, by
Pittsfield and the Western Railroad.
Lenox, N. Y., Madison co. Partly bounded on
the N. by Oneida Lake, and is watered by
Cowasalon and Oneida Creeks. The surface is
level, or slightly uneven ; the soil mostly fertile.
12 miles N. from Morrisville, and 125 W. by N.
Lenox, Pa., Susquehanna co. Drained by
Tunkhannock Creek and branches. Surface
hilly; soil gravel and clay. 170 miles N. N.
W. from Harrisburg.
Leominster, Ms., Worcester co., was formerly a
part of the town of Lancaster. The first house
was built by Gorham Haughton, in 1725. The
surface is rather plain than hilly; the greatest
elevation is Wauhnoosnook Hill, in the westerly
part of the town. The soil is clayey, and gen-
erally of a good quality. The town is well
watered in every part by springs and rivulets.
The Wauhnoosnook, a branch of the Nashua
River, and the N. branch of the Nashua pro-
duce fine mill privileges. A rich alum rock has
been found in this town. The village in the
centre of the town makes a fine appearance. It
lies about a mile and a half S. from the Fitch-
burg Railroad; from thence to Boston is 43
Leon County, Fa., c. h. at Tallahassee. Bounded
N. by Georgia. Some of the land is fertile.
Leon, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Conewango
Creek waters this town, the surface of which is
elevated, but chiefly level, and the soil produc
tive. 310 miles W. by S. from Albany.
Leon County, Ts., c. h. at Leona. E. central
part of the state, between the Navasota and Trin-
Leonardtown, Md., c. h. St. Mary's co. On a
small branch of the Potomac. 87 miles S. from
Le Ray, N. Y., Jefferson co. Watered by In-
dian and Black Rivers. Surface undulating;
soil easily cultivated and very productive. 158
miles N. W. from Albany.
Le Roy, N. Y., Geneseeeo. Drained by Allen's
Creek. Mostly a level town, with a fertile soil,
yielding large crops of grain. 10 miles E. from
Batavia, and 234 N. of W. from Albany.
Letcher County, Ky., c. h. at Whitesburg.
Taken mostly from Perry co., and incorporated
in 1842. Bounded N. and N. E. by Perry and
Floyd counties, S. E. and S. by Virginia, and Wi
by the head branch of Kentucky River, separat-
ing it from Harlan and Perry counties.
Letterhenny, Pa., Franklin co. Surface chiefly
level, and watered by Conedogwinit and Raccoon
Creeks. Soil slaty. Blue Mountain covers the
W. part of this town, which lies 7 miles N. W.
Levant, Me., Penobscot co. A fertile township
on the Kenduskeag. 10 miles N. W. from
Leverett, Ms., Franklin co., was formerly a part
of Sunderland. The surface is somewhat moun-
tainous ; the soil is strong and well adapted for
pasturage. The town is watered by Roaring
Brook, and several small streams. Roaring
Brook is a rapid stream, on which is a cascade,
and some wild scenery. 10 miles S. E. from
Greenfield, and 80 W. by N. from Boston.