government for a period of ten years, from the
close of the first congress, in 1790, to 1800, when
the capital was removed to Washington.
Of the environs of Philadelphia, which are
very beautiful, much might be said. The ter-
ritory included between the rivers below the city
is highly improved and cultivated in farms and
gardens, for the supply of the rich vegetable
market. There are many attractive places in the
immediate vicinity of the city, to which the in-
habitants resort for rides and recreations, or
for their country residences. Camden, on the
opposite bank of the Delaware, and accessible at
several points by steam ferry boats, besides being
a place of considerable population and business,
has much of its soil under high cultivation, for
raising the delicious fruits, which, during their
season, are so tempting to the eye and to the
taste in the stalls of Market Street. Kaigns
Point, Gloucester Point, and Greenwich, all of
them a little below the city, on the Delaware, are
favorite places of resort, to which steamboats
are constantly running. The banks of the ro-
mantic Wissahicken Creek, about 6 miles above
the city, offer a delightful excursion for parties
of pleasure. Laurel Hill Cemetery, in the neigh-
borhood of Fairmount, is one of the most beauti-
ful places of the kind in the country. The
naturally-diversified surface of the ground, in-
cluding about 20 acres, the trees, shrubs, foliage,
and fragrant flowers with which it is adorned,
and the costly and finely-sculptured monuments
with which it is interspersed, render this a retreat
at once of pleasing and of solemn interest. There
are also Germantown, Manayunk, Norristown,
and other places, a few miles distant from the
city, which invite the citizens to pleasant drives
over beautiful roads, and amidst scenes of rich
luxuriance and beauty.
Phillippa, Aa., c. h. Barbour co. On the E.
forkof the Monongahela, about 20 miles S. of the
Baltimore and Ohio Bailroad.
Phillips County, As., c. h. at Helena. It is
drained by the St. Francis and its tributary Lan-
quille Biver. The N. portions of this county
have a fertile, sandy soil, while the S. are liable
to inundation. Bounded E. by the Mississippi.
Phillips, Me., Franklin co. This town is wa-
tered by Sandy Biver. It lies 53 miles N. W.
from Augusta, and 15 N. W. from Farmington.
Phillipston, Ms., Worcester co. This town was
formerly part of Templeton and Athol. At its
incorporation in 1786, the legislature gave it the
name of Gerry. In 1814, it took its present
name. This town is finely watered by streams
and rivulets which flow into Swift and Miller's
Bivers. The surface is uneven, consisting of
hills and valleys, but the soil is productive. Pros-
pect Hill, in this place, is a large hill, and over-
looks all the highlands for many miles around.
Upon it are many excellent farms. About a mile
from the centre village is Factory Village and a
fine pond. 27 miles N. W. from Worcester, and
58 N. W. by W. from Boston. The railroad from
Fitchburg to Vermont passes through this town.
Phillipstown, N. Y., Putnam co. Watered by
a few small streams flowing into the Hudson,
which bounds it on the W. Some of the highest
peaks of the Highlands, such as Breakneck, Bull,
and Sugar Loaf Hills, are situated in this town,
and afford great quantities of excellent iron ore.
14 miles W. from Carmel, and 96 S. from Albany.
Phipsburg, Me., Lincoln co. This is a mari-
time town at the mouth of Kennebec Biver, on
the W. side. It consists of a peninsula of land
of about 15 miles in length, and from 2 to 4 miles
in width, ‘lying between Kennebec Biver, on the
E., and New Meadows, or Stevens's Biver, on
the W., and extending from Small Point, the
eastern boundary of Casco Bay, to the city of
Bath on the N. It contains a United States
fort, and Seguin and Pond Islands, on which are
light-houses. 40 miles S. from Augusta.
Phipsburg was taken from the ancient town of
Bristol in 1816, and named in honor of Govern-
or Phips, who was born in Bristol.
Phipsburg has considerable trade and naviga-
tion. Ship building is pursued, and fishing is a
source of profit. There is no better site for fish-
ing establishments on the coast. It is a very
pleasant town, and an agreeable location to court
the sea breezes in summer.
Pickaway County. O., c. h. at Circleville. Sit-
uated a little S. of the centre of the state, with
Franklin eo. on the N., Fairfield on the E., Boss
on the S., Fayette and Madison on the W. It
was constituted in 1810, from Boss, Fairfield,
and Franklin. The name Pickaway is a corrup-
tion of Piqua, the name of a tribe of the Shawa-
nese Indians.' The surface of the county is gen-
erally level, and the soil very fertile. The staple
productions are wheat, corn, oats, grass, neat cat-
tle, pork, and wool. It is divided nearly through
the centre, N. and S., by the Scioto Biver. The
Ohio Canal also traverses the valley of the Scioto
through the entire length of the county. This
county has all the four varieties of woodland,
barren, plain, and prairie. The barrens were
originally covered with shrub oak, and were at
first considered as of little value; but they are
found to produce excellent pasturage. The prai-
ries are best for corn and grass. The plain lands
equal, and perhaps exceed, any other in the west-
ern country, for the production of wheat.
About 3 miles S, of Circleville are the cele-
brated Pickaway Plains, in their natural state,
without a tree or shrub within reach of the eye,
including an elliptical area of about 7 miles in
the longest diameter, and 3^ in the other, and
said to contain the richest body of land in the
state. The soil, the result of vegetable decom-
position through an indefinite period, Avas very
black when first cultivated. Corn for many
years greAV to the height of 12 or 15 feet, and
produced 100 bushels to the acre. It lies on
both sides of the Scioto Biver, but chiefly on the E.
Of all places in the Avest,'' says the author of
the Historical Collections of Ohio, this preem-
inently deserves the name of classic ground.
Here, in olden time, burned the council fires of
the red man. Here the affairs of the nation in
general council were discussed, and the impor-
tant questions of peace and war decided. On
those plains the allied tribes marched forth and
met General Lewis, and fought the sanguinary
battle at Point Pleasant. Here it was that Logan
made his memorable speech; and here, too, that
the noted campaign of Dunmore was brought to
a close, by a treaty, or rather a truce, at Camp
Pickens County, Aa., c. h. at Carrollton. It is
bounded N. by Fayette, E. by Tuscaloosa, S. by
Greene and Sumpter counties, and W. by Mis-
sissippi. The Tombigbee Biver and its tributaries
traverse this county.