Salisbury Centre is a pleasant village. The
Indian name of the town was Weatog. 50 miles
W. N. W. from Hartford, and 22 N. W. from
Salisbury has long been celebrated for its ex-
cellent iron ore and iron manufactures. The
guns for some of the oldest ships of our present
navy were made at the old furnace in Salisbury.
The Old Ore Hill, 2 miles W. of Wansco-
pommuc Lake, has been worked since the year
1732. The large a'nd inexhaustible quantities
of iron ore found in Salisbury, and the abundant
supply of wood for charcoal, and other materials
necessary for smelting the ore, together with the
superior quality of iron, introduced other manu-
factures, and iron has continued from that time
the staple commodity of the town.
Salisbury, Md., Somerset co. A village lying on
the N. side of Wiccomieo River, near the confines
of Delaware. 20 miles N. W. of Snow Hill, and
33 S. by W. of Lewistown, near Cape Henlopen.
Salisbury, Ms., Essex co. In 1638 this town
was granted, by the name of Merrimae, to be a
plantation, unto Simon Bradstreet, Daniel Den-
nison, and others. The year following it was in-
corporated by the name of Colchester, and in
1640 assumed, by direction of the then General
Court, the name of Salisbury. It is bounded
southerly by the River Merrimae, westerly by
Powow River, northerly by the New Hampshire
line, and easterly by the sea. There are two con-
siderable villages in Salisbury ; the largest is at
the westerly part of the town, upon Powow River,
at the head of tide water. The village is divided
by said river into two pretty equal parts, one in
Salisbury, the other in Amesbury. 36 miles from
Boston 'by the Eastern Railroad, and 2 from
Newburyport. The other village is pleasantly
situated on the bank of the Merrimae, on a point
of land formed by the junction of that river with
the Powow, and is called Webster's Point.
Salisbury and Amesbury are finely located for
business ; the villages are neat, and the scenery
around them very pleasant. Salisbury Beach is
noted for its beauty, and is much frequented. It
is about 5 miles from the town.
Salisbury, N. H., Merrimae co. Blackwater
River passes through the W. part of Salisbury.
There are 5 bridges across it in this town. On
the river is some very fertile intervale. The Pem-
igewasset and Concord Rivers are on the E. boun-
dary. The soil of the upland is strong, deep, and
loamy. A considerable portion of Kearsarge
Mountain is within Salisbury. There are 2 very
pleasant villages here, situated on the Fourth New
Hampshire Turnpike, about a mile and a half
apart. First settlers, Philip Call, Nathaniel Me-
loon, Benjamin Pettengill, and John and Eben-
ezer Webster, in 1750. From Concord 16 miles
N. The Concord and Montreal Railroad passes
through the town.
Salisbury, N. Y., Herkimer co. Watered by East
Canada and some branches of West Canada Creek.
Surface diversified with hills, mountains, and
broad valleys; soil wellslited to grass. 15 miles
N. E. from Herkimer, and 71 N. W. from Albany.
Salisbury, N. C., c. h. Rowan co. On a branch
of the Yadkin River, 118 miles W. from Raleigh.
An ancient stone wall has been discovered here,
the top of which is about a foot beneath the sur-
face of the ground, 12 to 14 feet high, 22 inches
thick, and plastered on both sides. Its length, as
far as it has been traced, is about 300 yards. A
few miles from this place a similar wall has been
discovered, though of less height and thickness.
The origin of these curious antiquities is unknown.
Salisbury, Pa., Lancaster co. This town is lo-
cated on the head waters of Pequea Creek, 12
miles E. from the city of Lancaster.
Salisbury, Pa., Lehigh co. A township situated
between Sancon Creek, Little Lehigh Creek, and
Salisbury, Pa., Somerset co. A village. 20
miles S from Somerset.
Salisbury, Vt., Addison co. Otter Creek forms
the western boundary of this town. The other
streams are Middlebury and Leicester Rivers.
Lake Dunmore is about 4 miles long, and from
half to three fourths of a mile wide, and lies part-
ly in Salisbury and partly in Leicester. On the
outlet of this pond, called Leicester River, are
several falls, which afford fine mill p.mleges,
around which is a thriving village. The surface
is uneven, but the soil generally good. The east-
ern part extends on to the Green Mountains. In
the western part are some fine tracts of meadow.
In the mountain E.'of Lake Dunmore is a cavern,
thought to have been inhabited by the Indians, as
some of their instruments have been found here.
The first person who came into Salisbury with a
view of settling was Amos Storey. Thomas
Skeels and Abel Waterhouse were the next set-
tlers. The 22d day of February, 1775, the widow
of Mr. Storey, and eight or ten small children,
moved into town. 34 miles S. W. from Mont-
pelier, and about 6 miles S. from the Rutland
Railroad depot in Middlebury.
Salt Lake City, Uh. See Appendix, No. 3.
Salt Sulphur Springs, Va., Monroe co. 232
miles W. from Richmond. See Fashionable Re-
Saltsburg, Pa., Indiana co. On the E. bank
of Conemaugh River. 179 miles W. N. W.
from Harrisburg. There are many salt works
in the neighborhood. The Pennsylvania Canal
passes through it.
Sampson County, N. C., is bounded S. E. by
New Hanover, S. W. by Bladen, W. by Cumber-
land, N. by Johnson, N. E. by Wayne, and E. by
Duplin. It is drained by Black River branch of
Cape Fear River. The court house is about 55
miles N. N. W. from Wilmington.
San Antonio, Ts., c. h. San Antonio co.
San Augustine County, Ts., c. h. at San Augus-
tine. On the E. border of the state.
San Augustine, Ts., c. h. San Augustine co.
Sanbornton, N. H., Belknap co. The bay be-
tween Sanbornton and Meredith is 3 miles in
width. There are no rivers or ponds of magni-
tude in the town. Salmon Brook Pond, and a
brook of the same name, its outlet, are the only
ones worth mentioning. Sanbornton presents
an uneven surface, but contains no mountains.
The soil is almost universally good. There is a
gulf here extending nearly a mile, through very
hard, rocky ground, 38 feet in depth, the walls from
80 to 100 feet asunder. There is also a cavern
on the declivity of a hill which may be entered,
in a horizontal direction, to the distance of 20
feet. On the Winnipiseogee, at the head of Little
Bay, are found the remains of an ancient forti-
fication. First settlers, John Sanborn, David
Duston, Andrew Rowan, and others, in 1765 and
1766. By the Concord and Montreal Railroad,
this town lies 91 miles from Concord, and 8 from