Washington, Te., c. h. Rhea co. On the right
bank of Tennessee River, about 100 miles below
Knoxville, and 80 miles S. E. by E. from Mur-
Washington County, Ts., c. h. at Washington.
S. E. central. On the W. side of the Brazos.
Washington County, Vt., c. h. at Montpelier.
This county is nearly in the centre of the state,
and the principal part of it lies between the two
ranges of the Green Mountains. It is bounded
N. by Lamoille and part of Chittenden and Cale-
donia counties, E. by Caledonia co., S. by Orange
and Addison counties, and W. by Addison and
Chittenden counties. It was incorporated in 1810,
by the name of Jefferson, and took its present name
in 1814. This county is finely watered by the Wi-
nooski River and many of its important branches.
The surface of the county is uneven, hilly, and
in some parts mountainous, but there is much
valuable land along the streams. There are large
bodies of beautiful granite in the county, and
slate of various kinds.
Washington, Vt., Orange co. Branches of Wi-
nooski, Wait's, and White Rivers rise in this
town, but afford no considerable water power.
There is some excellent land along the streams,
and the uplands are generally arable, and afford
good pasturage. There is a neat village in the
town. The settlement was commenced in 1785,
by Daniel Morse, who was soon joined by his
brother, John Morse. 15 miles S. by E. from
Washington County, Va., c. h. at Abingdon.
This county has Tennessee on the S., Scott co.,
Va., W., Russell N. W., Tazewell N., Wythe N.
E., and Grayson S. E. It lies in the various val-
leys of the two great branches of Holston River,
and is drained by those streams and their numer-
ous confluents. The soil is fertile, though gen-
Washington County, Wn., c. h. at Washington.
Bounded N. by Eond du Lac and Sheboygan
counties, E. by Lake Michigan, S. by Milwaukie
and Waukesha counties, and W. by Dodge co.
Drained by Milwaukie and Menemonee Rivers.
Washita (according to the French, Ouachitta)
Parish, La., c. h. at Monroe. Lying towards
the N. E. part of the state, drained by the Wa-
shita River and its branches, and the sources of
the Little River. Its length from E. to W. is 90
miles, and its mean width 60 miles. It is exten-
sively covered with pine forest; and in some
parts, on the rivers, the land is liable to be over-
flowed. Where the soil will admit of cultivation,
cotton is the chief article of production.
Washtenaw County, Mn., c. h. a-t Ann Arbor.
Incorporated in 1826. Bounded N. by Livings-
ton and Oakland counties, E. by Wayne, S. by
Monroe and Lenawee, and W. by Jackson co.
Watered by Huron, Raisin, Macon, and Saline
Rivers, Mullet's, Honey, Mill, and Paint Creeks,
and several lakes. Surface slightly undulating ;
soil rich clay and loam. Most of its streams af-
ford hydraulic power.
Waterbary, Ct., New Haven co. The Indian
Mattatuck, a territory comprising this and some
of the neighboring towns, being 18 miles in
length, and 10 miles in width, was sold by the
red men to the whites, in the year 1684, for di-
vers good causes and 39 pounds.'' This piece of
ground was supposed, by the white men, to af-
ford sufficient room and accommodations for thirty
There are some good lands on the borders of
the streams, within the present limits of Water-
bury; but the surface of the town is generally
rough, and the soil difficult of cultivation.
The site upon which the borough of Water-
bury stands is situated in a valley, which is
washed by Mad River on the E., and the Nauga-
tuck on the W. 32 miles from Bridgeport by
the Naugatuck Railroad.
Water boro', Me., York co. This town is wa-
tered by a large and pleasant pond, which emp-
ties into Little Ossipee River, a branch of the
Saco, and by the head branches of the Mousum,
a stream which meets the ocean at Kennebunk.
This is a flourishing town, with a pleasant sur-
face and good soil. It lies 24 miles W. from
Portland, and is bounded S. by Alfred.
Waterbary, Vt., Washington co. The surface
is generally level, with some pleasant swells.
The soil is warm and fertile, and the lands on
the rivers are not excelled in richness by any in
the state. Waterbury is separated from Dux-
bury by Winooski River, which, with Waterbury
River and other streams, affords the town a good
water power. In the S. W. corner of the town,
the passage of Winooski River through a consid-
erable hill has worn a channel through the rocks.
The chasm is at present about 100 feet wide, and
nearly as deep.
This town was first settled by Mr. James
Marsh, who moved here with his wife and 8
children, in June, 1784, and for nearly a year this
family scarcely saw a human being but them-
selves. 12 miles N. W. from Montpelier, and 26
E. S. E. from Burlington. The railroad from
Boston to Burlington passes through this town.
Waterford, Ct., New London co. This town
was taken from New London in 1801. It is
washed on the E. side by the River Thames, and
on the S. by Long Island Sound, from which a bay
or inlet extends, between Millstone and Black
Points, quite into the centre of the town, afford-
ing a harbor for small vessels. This is a resort
for fishermen on the Sound, and many species
of the finny tribe are taken captive. There are a
number of ponds in the town. On the New Ha-
ven and New London Railroad, 4 miles from
Waterford, Me., Oxford co. It has a number
of beautiful ponds. The surface is generally level,
and the soilgood. 57 miles W. by S. from Augusta.
Waterford, N. Y., Saratoga co. Situated at
the junction of the Mohawk and Hudson Rivers.
Surface undulating; soil alluvion and sand. 19
miles S. E. from Ballston Spa, and 10 N. from
Albany. The village of Waterford is situated
on the W. bank of the Hudson at the head of
sloop navigation. The Champlain Canal passes
through it, and enters the river here. The Troy
and Saratoga Railroad passes through it. It has
various manufactures, and considerable business.
5 miles from Troy.
Waterford, Vt., Caledonia co. The W. part
of Waterford is watered by the Passumpsie, and
the N. border by Moose River. A part of the
town borders on Fifteen Mile Falls, in Connecti-
cut River. The banks of that river are steep at
this place, and form but little intervale. The
uplands are rough and stony. The settlement
of the town was commenced in 1787. 18 miles
S. E. from Danville, and 48 N. E. from Montpe-
lier. The'Passumpsic Railroad passes through