the outlet of which is called Pond Brook, and
affords water sufficient for several valuable mill
sites. In the E. part of the town lies part of
Carr's Mountain. A part of the elevation called
Mount Cuba lies in the W. part of Wentworth.
This mountain contains inexhaustible quantities
of the best limestone. Iron ore is found here.
The soil is generally good. The town received
its name from Governor Benning Wentworth.
The first settlement commenced a few' years be-
fore the revolutionary war. 15 miles N. W. from
Plymouth, and about 50 N. N. W. from Concord.
'Wentworth, N. C., c. h. Rockingham co. On a
branch of Dan River. 116 miles N. W. from
West Almond, N. Y., Alleghany co. Watered
by Angelica Creek. A hilly town, with a good
soil. 6 miles E. from Angelica, and 248 W. from
West Bath, Me., Lincoln co. Adjoining the
city of Bath.
West Bloomfield, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered
by Honeoye Creek. Surface rather hilly; soil
chiefly clay, based upon slate and lime. 14 miles
W. from Canandaigua, and 208 N. of W. from
Westhoro', Ms., Worcester co., was a part of
Marlboro', and called Chauncy village until its
incorporation in 1717. The waters of this town
consist of some of the sources of Concord and
Blackstone Rivers, whicli furnish a good water
power. There are several handsome ponds in
the town, well stocked with fish. This is a beau-
tiful town : the surface is diversified, and the soil
good. There are a number of neat and handsome
villages in Westhoro'. 12 miles E. from Worces-
ter, and 32 W. from Boston.
West Boylston, Ms., Worcester co. This town
once comprised a part of Boylston, Holden, and
Sterling. It was first settled about the year 1720.
The surface is very pleasant, the soil good and
well cultivated. The Quinepexet and Stillwater
Rivers meet the Nashua in this town, and afford
a water power of much value. There are in the
town a number of pleasant manufacturing villages.
There is a romantic spot, called Pleasant Valley,
in this town ; it was once the bed of a small pond,
and lies about a mile S. from the principal vil-
lage. 8 miles N. from Worcester, and 42 W.
West Bradford, Pa., Chester co. Bounded S.
W. by Brandywine Creek, and drained by its
branches, which afford good water power. Sur-
face hilly; soil calcareous loam. 11 miles S. W.
West Bridgewater, Ms., Plymouth co., was
taken from Bridgewater in 1822. The surface
is generally level, and its soil is capable of pro-
ducing large crops. A large branch of Taunton
River gives this town a good water power. Cen-
tre and Madagascar villages, about two miles
apart, are neat, and busy in the labors of domestic
industry. 21 miles S. from Boston by railroad,
and 20 N. W. from Plymouth.
Westbrook, Me., Cumberland co. A trading
and manufacturing town, adjoining Portland on
the N. 52 miles S. S. E. from Augusta. The
principal village is called Saccarappa.
West Cambridge, Ms, Middlesex co. This was
the W. parish of Cambridge, called Menotomy,
until its incorporation in 1807. A part of the
lands is low and swampy, but the general fea-
tures of the town are pleasant. Spy, Little, and
a part of Fresh Pond lie in this town; they
abound with fish, and add much to the beauty of
the place. These ponds cover an area of about
200 acres, and furnish large quantities of ice for
transportation. In this town are some pleasant
villages. Sucker Brook, though a small stream,
furnishes a good water power. The descent of
this stream is so great, that dams are erected in
the town, for appropriating its waters 9 different
times. From Boston by railroad, 6 miles.
West Carlisle, O., Pike township, Coshocton
co. A village 60 miles from Columbus, and 22
N. E. from Newark.
West Charleston, O., Bethel township, Miami
co. This town is located on an elevated, healthy
spot. 12 miles N. from Dayton.
Westchester County, N. Y., Bedford and White
Plains shire towns, was incorporated in 1683.
It is bounded N. by Putnam co., E. by the state
of Connecticut, S. by Long Island Sound and the
Haerlem River, and W. by the Hudson. Surface
hilly and uneven; soil fertile in many parts.
Watered bv Croton, Bronx, and Sawmill Rivers.
It is rich in mineral productions, the principal
of which are iron and lead ores and marble.
Westchester, N. Y., Westchester co. Watered
by Bronx, Haerlem, and East Rivers. Surface
hilly and rolling; soil clay loam, mostly fertile.
Marble is quarried here in large quantities. 16
miles S. from White Plains, and 150 S. from
Westchester, Pa., c. h. Chester co., may vie with
any other place in the U. S. of equal population,
in neatness of its buildings, beauty of site, and
healthful position. It has daily intercourse with
Philadelphia by a railroad, and is 22 miles W.
from it. 2 miles W. from Brandywine River, and
73 E. S. E. from Harrisburg.
Westerly, R. I., Washington co. In the S. W.
angle of the state, between the Atlantic and the
Pacantuck, at the mouth of. which it has a har-
bor. The village is finely located at the head of
navigation, 6 miles from the sea, on the Provi-
dence and Stonington Railroad, 40 miles S. S.
W. from Providence.
At Westerly is presented the very singular
feature of two Sabbaths every week. Almost one
half of the inhabitants are Seventh Day Baptists,
who keep Saturday with great sacredness, and on
no account will do any work. The remainder
observe Sunday as a holy day, and as studiously
avoid all labor. The result is, that on Saturday,
a portion may be seen going to church, a part of
the stores are closed, and some of the factories
are short-handed or closed entirely. On Sunday
the same thing is to be observed. A part are
engaged in worship and acts of devotion, while
their neighbors are busily at work, and public
worship is disturbed by the din of business and
the noisy bustle of the crowd. Both parties ap-
pear strictly conscientious, and live peaceably
together, although the partial observance of two
days is very annoying and inconvenient.
West Farms, N. Y., Westchester co. On
Bronx River. 11 miles N.E. from New York,
and 146 S. from Albany. Connected with New
York city by railroad.
Westfield, Ms., Hampden co. A beautiful place
on Westfield River. The town is famous for its
manufacture of whips. Several other manufac-
tures are also carried on. It has an academy of
good repute. 10 miles W. from Springfield, oa
the Western Railroad.