Bnren counties. Drained by Little Red and
other branches of White River.
White County, Is., c. h. at Carmi. Wabash
River is on the E., Gallatin co. S., Franklin and
Jefferson W., and Wayne and Edwards N. Lit-
tle Wabash River drains most of the county.
White County, la., c. h. at Monticello. Bounded
N. by Pulaski co., E. by Cass and Carroll, S. by
Tippecanoe, and W. by Benton and Jasper coun-
ties. Drained by Tippecanoe River and branches.
The surface is level, much of it being prairie,
and the soil fertile.
White County, Te., c. h. at Sparta. White
co. is bounded by Bledsoe S. E., Warren W.,
Caney Fork River S. W., Smith N. W., Jackson
N., and Overton N. E. The eastern branches of
Caney Fork River drain the county.
White Creek, N. Y., Washington co. Watered
by Owl and Little White Creeks, flowing into
the Hoosic River, which partly bounds it on the
S. Surface hilly ; soil rich sandy loam. 12 miles
S. from Salem, and 42 N. E. from Albany.
Whitejield, Me., Lincoln co. Sheepseot River
passes through this town, giving it fertility, beauty,
and a good water power. It has Windsor on the
N., Jefferson on the E., Aina on the S., and
Pittston on the W. 16 miles S. E. from Au-
Whitejield, N. H., Coos co. The soil is gen-
erally thin and light, of easy cultivation, and
tolerably good. In the N. part low spruce
swamps abound. Here lie part of Blake's, Long,
Round, and Little River Ponds, besides two other
small ponds. The second of these is a beautiful
sheet of water, of considerable size, abounding
with fish. John's River passes through this
town. First settlers, Major Burns and others,
who settled soon after 1774. 120 miles N. from
Concord, and about 12 S. E. from Lancaster.
Whitehall, N. Y., Washington co. At the S.
end of Lake Champlain. 73 miles N. from Al-
bany, and 82 miles S. from Burlington, Vt. This
place derives its importance from its peculiarly
favorable situation for business, at the junction
of the Champlain Canal, from Albany and Troy,
with the lake, and from its being a thoroughfare
of travel on the great route between New York
and Canada. The place is located in a romantic
situation, at the mouth of a river called Wood
Creek, which descends through a rocky ravine,
and over a fall of about 20 feet, into the lake.
The village is compactly built between the bold
and lofty cliffs which overlook the town, and
consists of about 150 houses ; a number of mills,
for which the river furnishes a fine water power ;
numerous warehouses for the forwarding and
commission business; several churches, and other
public buildings. This place was occupied by
Burgoyne as his head-quarters, for a considerable
time, and on the heights overlooking the harbor
are the remains of a battery and blockhouse
erected by him. Some of the finest steamboats
on any of our waters ply between this place and
St. John's, in Canada, 150 miles distant, whence
there is steam communication direct to Mon-
treal. There is also a continuous line of railroad
communication N., via Rutland, Middlebury. arid
Burlington, to Montreal, E. to Boston, and S. to
Saratoga Springs, Troy, Albany, and Schenec-
tady, and the great routes of travel centring at
Whitehead, Me., Lincoln county. An island
off the town of St. George, with a light and
tower 30 feet in height. The light bears about
S. W. by S.. 9 miles from Owl's Head.
Whitely County, Ky., c. li. at Whitely. Ten-
nessee iston the S. of this county, Wayne co.,
Ivy., W., Rockcastle River, or Pulaski co. N. W.,
Knox N. E., and Harlan E. From S. E. to N.
W. the county is crossed by the Cumberland
Whitemarsh, Pa., Montgomery co. White-
marsh has long been noted for its elegant and
variegated marble. The village lies 12 miles N.
White Plains, N. Y., c. h. Westchester co. It
is watered by the Bronx River and Mamaroneck
Creek. Surface somewhat hilly ; soil chiefly
loam, well suited to grass. 131 miles S. from
White Sulphur Springs, Va., Greenbrier co. See
Whitesides County, Is., c. h. at Lyndon. Formed
from Jo Daviess county in 1836. It is bounded
N. by Carroll co., E. by Ogle and Lee, S. by Bu-
reau and Henry counties, and W. by Rock Island
co. and the Mississippi River, separating it from
Iowa. Drained by Rock River and its branches.
Surface level, or slightly uneven; soil fertile.
Whitestown, N. Y., Oneida co. Half shire town
with Rome. It is watered by Oriskany and Sad-
aquada Creeks, flowing into the Mohawk River,
which bounds it on the N. E. Surface undulating,
with broad fertile valleys; soil rich calcareous
loam. 97 miles N. W. from Albany.
Whiting, Me., Washington co. This town
lies at the head of Machias Bay, and is watered
by several ponds and a good mill stream. It
lies 152 miles E. N. E. from Augusta, and 6
N. E. from Machias. Incorporated 1825.
Whiting, Vt., Addison co. Otter Creek waters
the eastern border of the town, but affords no
mill privileges. Along the eastern part of the
town, near Otter Creek, is a swamp which covers
2000 or 3000 acres. It affords an abundance of
excellent cedar, pine, ash, &c. The soil is gen-
erally of the marly kind, and produces good
grass and grain. John Wilson erected the first
house in Whiting in 1772, and in June. 1773, a
family by the name of Bolster moved into it.
During the revolution the settlement was aban-
doned, but was recommenced at the close of the
war. 40 miles S. W. from Montpelier, and 10
S. from Middlebury.
Whitingham, Vt., Windham co. Deerfield
River runs through the whole length of this
town, along the western part. There are many
other smaller streams in different parts. There
are two natural ponds. Sawdawda Pond is so
called from an Indian of that name, who formerly
lived near it, and was afterwards supposed to
have been drowned in going down Deerfield
River. The surface of Whitingham is uneven,
but the soil is generally good, and has a variety
of timber. A mineral spring was discovered
here in 1822. The western part of the town
abounds with limestone. The settlement fras
commenced in 1770, by Mr. Bratlin and Silas
Hamlinton. 17 miles W. by S. from Brattle-
boro', and 18 E. S. E. from Bennington.
Whitley County, la., c. h. at Whitley. Bounded
N. by Noble co., E. by Allen, S. by Huntington
and Wabash, and W. by Ivosciusco co. Eel River
and its tributaries water this county, affording
hydraulic power. The soil is fertile.
Whitley, la., c. h. Whitley co. On the N. W.