Winchendon, Ms., Worcester co. Before its in-
corporation, in 1764, this town was called Ips-
wich Canada,'' it having been granted to the
neirs of soldiers from Ipswich, who served in an
expedition to Canada in 1690. It was first set-
tled about the year 1752. The surface is some-
what uneven, but not mountainous; there are
many rocks, but the soil is deep, strong, and fer-
tile. This town is watered by several streams,
which afford a good water power, but particular-
ly by Miller's River, a noble mill stream, which
takes its rise from Monomonack Pond, partly in
this town and partly in Rindge. There are fine
quarries of granite in the town, and a spring
tinctured with iron and sulphur. There are a
number of neat and flourishing villages, called
Robinsonville, Bullardsville, Waterville, Spring,
North, and New Boston; near the latter is a
beautiful pond. The excellent water power
in the town, and the Boston and Vermont Rail-
road passing through it, will place Winchendon
high on the list of manufacturing towns. 38
miles N. N. W. from Worcester, and about 20
W. N. W. from Fitchburg, from which to Boston
is 50 miles.
Winchester, Ct., Litchfield co. The geological
character of the town is primitive; the rocks
consisting of granite, mica, slate, &c. The soil
is gravelly, hard, and coarse: it affords good
The borough of Clifton was incorporated in
1832. It is a flourishing village, principally
built in a narrow valley, on the banks of a mill
stream, called Mad River, which is a tributary
of Farmington River. The valley at this place
is but barely of sufficient width to admit of a
street, with buildings on each side, the ground
rising immediately in every direction. West-
ward of the main street in the village, a road
passes up a steep hill for nearly a quarter of a
mile, where, upon an elevated plain, is an inter-
esting lake, or pond, which is one of the largest
bodies of water in the state, being three and a
half miles in length, and three fourths of a mile
in breadth. The outlet of this lake presents a
novel scene ; it consists of a small stream, com-
pressed within a narrow channel, and literally
tossed from rock to rock till it unites with Mad
Winsted, or the East village, is very pleasant.
Winchester lies within the evergreen district,''
so named from the forests of hemlock and other
evergreen trees, with which it abounds. These
Green Woods '' present one of the most impres-
sive scenes which can be found in an American
forest. 26 miles N. W. from Hartford.
Winchester, la., c. h. Randolph co. 81 miles
E. N. E. from Indianapolis.
Winchester, Ky., c. h. Clarke co. 44 miles
E. S. E. from Frankfort.
Winchester, Ms., Middlesex co. Formed in
1852, from parts of Woburn, Medford, and West
Winchester, Mi., c. h. Wayne co.
Winchester, N. H., Cheshire co. The face of
this town is diversified with hills and valleys.
The soil is of an excellent quality. Ashuelot
River passes through the centre of this town,
affording a great hydraifiic power. It is bor-
dered on each bank by extensive intervales, of a
fertility rarely excelled. There are other small
streams running through the town. The centre
village is on the S. E. bank of the Ashuelot; it is
very handsome : at the lower end of it, the street
is adorned with a beautiful row of native evergreen
trees, which extend nearly half a mile. Two miles
W. is another manufacturing village, and in the
S. E. part is another. First settlers, Josiah Wil-
lard and others, settled about the year 1732.
13 miles S. W. from Keene, and 65 S. W. from
Winchester, Te., c. h. Franklin co.
Winchester, Ya., c. h. Frederick co. This town is
located on a branch of Opeguan Creek, in a very
productive part of Virginia, and possesses, for its
relative population, much solid wealth. It lies 74
miles a little N. of W. from Washington city, and
146 a little W. of N. from Richmond.
Wind Gap, Pa., Northampton co. 110 miles
N. from Harrisburg. . Situated at the Wind Gap,
so called, one of the celebrated gorges among the
Alleghany Mountains, through which the road
passes from Easton to Wilkesbarre. The scenery
here is very romantic. It is 15 miles S. of the
Water Gap, through which the Delaware finds its
way through the mountains.
Windham County, Ct., c. h. at Brooklyn. This
county is uniformly hilly, yet no part of it
is mountainous or very elevated. The pre-
vailing soil is a primitive gravelly loam. The
greatest portion of the county is stony and con-
siderably rough, and the lands generally best
adapted for grazing, and many sections afford
some of the richest dairy farms in the state. The
Quinebaug and Shetucket, with their branches,
intersect this county, and afford many valuable
water privileges for mills and manufacturing
purposes. The valley of the Quinebaug River
comprises the best land in the county.
Windham county originally belonged to the
counties of Hartford and New London. It was
incorporated as a county in May, 1726.
This county is bounded N. by Massachusetts,
E. by Rhode Island, S. by the county of New
London, and W. by Tolland county.
Windham, Ct., Windham co. The territory of
this town, Mansfield, and Canterbury was given
by Joshua, a son of Uncas, the celebrated Mohe-
gan sachem, to John Mason, James Fitch, and
others, in the year 1675.
Lieutenant John Cates, a pious Puritan, who
served in the wars in England, holding his com-
mission under Cromwell, when Charles II. came
to the throne, fled to this country for safety. He
landed first in Virginia, where he procured a negro
servant to attend him. But when advertisements
and pursuers were spread through this country,
to apprehend the adherents of the protector, he
left Virginia, came to New York, and from thence
to Norwich. Still feeling that he should be se-
curer in a more retired place, he came to this new
plantation, dug the first cellar, and with his ser-
vant, raised in Windham the first English habita-
tion, in the spring of 1689. The settlers, rapidly-
increasing, petitioned the General Court, and
obtained a grant of town privileges in May,
It has an uneven surface, with a tolerable soil
It is pleasantly located, compactly and neatly
built, and contains the charm of antiquity in as
great perfection as can probably be found in New
The borough of Willimantic is 3 miles W. from
Windham village. It is well situated on Willi-
mantic River. It is built principally on one street,
and contains some very handsome buildings.