Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 646

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 645 ...Page 647

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


opposite side of the harbor from the town, at a
place called
The Glades,'' a very good house of
entertainment has been established, affording fine
advantages for enjoying sea air, sea bathing, and
fishing. “ The Glades '' is also a favorite resort,
in the proper season, for shooting the various
kinds of sea fowl, which frequent this coast in
countless numbers. This place may be approached
either by crossing from the village in boats, or
by a road about three miles round the harbor.
Many of the rocks of this remarkable locality
are of singular composition, and well worthy the
attention of the geologist. See


These falls are described in our account of the
Mohawk River. See p. 220.

p. 184.


Is the name of an ancient fort, built by the
French, in 1731, in the town of the same name,
upon the N. E. extremity of a point of land jut-
ting out into Lake Champlain. After the de-
struction of the old French fort, a new fortress
was constructed here by Lord Amherst, which
was built of wood and earth, enclosing an area
of 1500 square yards, and surrounded by a deep
and broad ditch, cut with immense labor in the
solid granite. There was a gateway on the north,
a drawbridge and a covered way to the lake.
These works are said to have cost the British
government 2,000,000 sterling. Near this point,
on the 13th of October, 1776, the American
fleet, under Arnold, was destroyed, and his ex-
pedition against Canada terminated. Crown
point lies about 35 miles north from Whitehall.


See town of Dighton.


Situated in Henry county, about 20 miles from
the mouth of the Kentucky River, and about a
mile and a half back from the river. They are
easily reached from Frankfort, 40 miles, Louis-
ville, 78 miles, and Cincinnati, 95 miles, by
steamboats, which run back and forth daily dur-
ing the season of company at the springs. Every
variety of sulphur and chalybeate waters are to
be found among the fountains of this fashionable


This pleasant resort for the citizens of New
York is in the town of the same name, on Long
Island, to which the reader is referred.


This old fort, in the town of the same name,
erected by the French in 1756, and by them called
“ Carrillon,'' is on the western shore of Lake
Champlain, 24 miles from Whitehall, and 58
miles from Burlington. It is at this point that
the delightful and much frequented route to Sar-
atoga Springs, by the way of Lake George, di-
verges from the more direct route, by way of
Whitehall. Passengers here leave the Champlain
boats for stage coaches, by which they are con-
veyed over a hilly but romantic road about 3
miles, to the village of Ticonderoga, at the head
of Lake George, and thence down the lake, 36
miles, by steamboat, to the Lake House, at its
southern extremity. Ticonderoga was originally
a place of much strength, having, from its situa-
tion with water on three sides, great natural ad-
vantages for a post of defence. It was taken
from the English by the brave Colonel Ethan
Allen, at the head of
83 Green Mountain Boys,
at the commencement of the revolutionary war, in
1775. It was recaptured a however, by General
Burgoyne, two years afterwards, and held by the
British during the war. Burgoyne gained a posi-
tion for a battery of artillery upon the summit of
Mount Hope, about a mile north, from which he
successfully stormed the fort. The ruins of this
ancient fortress, which still remain, are sufficient-
ly entire to give the visitor a pretty correct idea
of the outline and interior of this celebrated
stronghold. From Burlington to Ticonderoga,
it is
58 miles, and thence to Saratoga Springs, by
the route above described,
69 miles; from Bos-
ton to Saratoga Springs, by this route,
367 miles.


This pass through the western flank of the
White Mountains, on the route from Littleton to
the central part of New Hampshire, though less
rugged and grand in its features, is by many
thought to be not inferior in interest, on the
whole, to the celebrated pass on the east of it,
known, by way of eminence, as “
The Notch of the
White Mountains.''
   The mountains between

which the Franconia Notch passes are those
which have received the names of
Mount Lafay-
and Mount Jackson. Persons who visit the
White Mountains will not consider their excur-
sion as complete until they have passed through
the Franconia Notch. The grand and the beau-
tiful are so blended in its wild scenery, that the
observer scarcely knows with which of these
great emotions he is most absorbed. There are.
also several particular objects of curious and im-
pressive interest, on the way through this moun-
tain pass, which travellers pause to notice. One
of these, and one which has been declared to be
the greatest natural curiosity of the state, is the
Old Man of the Mountain; '' who, as he claims
the title, without dispute, of “ the oldest inhab-
itant'', so he enjoys, without fear of rotation in
office, the highest seat of promotion in New
Hampshire. On a bold and nearly perpendicular
front of the rock which terminates one of the
jutting cliffs of Mount Jackson, at the height of
1000 feet, in full relief against the western sky,
and looking in calm majesty towards the south,
is seen this wonderful profile of the human face,
delineated with striking exactness and in gigan-
tic proportions, wearing from age to age the same
undisturbed expression of sovereign dignity and
hoary wisdom. No one who has stood and gazed,
in a serene day, upon the face of the Old Man of
the Mountain, can ever forget the visual image,
or lose the moral impression he has there re-
ceived. This profile is produced by a peculiar
combination of the surfaces and angles of five
massive granite blocks, which nature has piled
upon this bald and storm-beaten height. A guide-
board is placed upon the stage road, a short dis-
tance south of the Lafayette Hotel, which is kept
here for the entertainment of visitors, to indicate
the true position from which to view this curious
freak of nature.

Another object of great interest to be visited,
two or three miles south, is “
The Flume." Of

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.