Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 71
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

AMITY.    71

Corner is a high ledge some acres in extent, thought to be porphyritic,
and containing crystals of iron pyrites, with compact feldspar. Crystals
of quartz are also found. There is some slate in the town. Amherst
is remarkable for its improved domestic cattle; and this is due mainly
to the energy and enterprise of A. B. Buzzell, Esq.

This town was a part of the Bingham purchase. It wTas set off from
the plantation of Mariaville in 1822, and incorporated in 1831. Amherst
N. IT. is said to have been honored in the selection of its name. Settle-
ment began about 1805. In that year Capt. Goodell Silsby came in,
and in 1806-7 his parents came and took the lots now known as the
“ Old Silsby Place.” Before 1808 closed there had come in, also, Mrs.
Kimball, Asahel Foster, Jesse Gils, Joseph Day, Judah West, and
Elisha Chick.

Amherst has four public schoolhouses, valued at $425. The valua-
tion of estates in 1870, was $57,276. In the valuation of 1880, it was
$72,524. Rate of taxation, about 2 per cent. The population in 1870
was 350. In the census of 1880 it was 362.

Amity is situated on the eastern line of Maine, in the southern
part of Aroostook County. It is bounded on the north by Number 11
of Range A., on the west by Leavitt, on the south by Orient and
Number 9, and east by New Brunswick. The Laroc Monument, No. 1,
marking the source of the St. Croix River, stands at the north-eastern
angle of this town. It is in 45° 56 N. latitude. The St. Croix River
forms the eastern boundary line; and Mattawamkeag River has its
source in the south-western part of the town. In the northern part
a branch of the St. John has its rise. The surface of the town is
rolling, and it is still well covered with hard-wood. The outcropping
rocks are granite and slate. The soil is gravelly and clayey loam.
Hay is the principal crop exported. The forest trees are chiefly maple,
birch, hemlock, basswood and spruce. The streams mentioned attain
within the limits of the town sufficient depth to float lumber. The
manufactories of the town consist of one mill running an up-and-
down saw, and a small grist mill. The nearest railroad connections
are at Houlton on the north and Danforth on the south,—each about
15 miles distant.

Amity was incorporated in 1836. The township had previously
been known as No. 10, first range. Settlement was commenced in 1826
by Jonathan T. Clifford, Jonathan Greenleaf and Columbus Dunn.
The early settlers bought their lands for twenty cents per acre, payable
one half in cash and one half in work on the public highways. Since
the incorporation of the towm, the remaining lands were bought of the
State by speculators. This has retarded the growth of the town, as
the prices asked have been much higher than those of the State for
lands at other points in the county.

The First Baptist society have here a very good church newly built.
The moral tone of society is excellent for a border town. The public
entertainments are lectures, lyceums, and lodge meetings of I. O. of
G. T. Amity has three public schoolhouses, and her total school prop-
erty is valued at $1,200. The valuation of the town in 1870 was $44,-
675. In 1880 it was $44,476. The rate of taxation in the latter year
was 3 per cent on a low valuation. The population in 1870 was 311.
In 1880, it was 432.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2