Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 72
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


Andover is situated midway of the length of Oxford County,
and is bounded on the east by Roxbury and Byron, on the north by
Andover North Surplus, west by Newry and Andover West Surplus,
and south by Rumford and Newry. The town is surrounded by moun-
tains and is a region of grand and beautiful scenery. It has within its
own borders Gregg Mountain in the northern part, the extended ridge
of Long Mountain in the western, and Lone Mountain near the middle
of the town. Wyman Hill, in the North Surplus, sends a considerable
section down over the border. In the south-eastern corner of the town
are Farmer’s Hill, and a lesser neighbor. Yet the surface of the town
in the broad valleys between these mountains is quite smooth, consists
ing of elevated pine plains and extensive intervales ; and there is a large
quantity of good land in the town. Ellis River, the outlet of Ellis
Pond, in Roxbury on the east, receives its branches near the centre of
the town, then runs in a southerly course through this town and Rum-
ford adjoining, to the Androscoggin River. Its tributaries here are
West Branch, Sawyer’s and Black Brooks, and the outlet of Horse-
shoe Pond, situated in the south-east corner of the town. The villages
are Andover Corner and South Andover,—the first a little north, and
the last a short distance to the south of the centre of the town. Bry-
ant’s Pond Station, 20 miles south, is the railroad connection. A
line of stages runs between the two places.

Andover Corner is a favorite resort for city people, and is the head-
quarters of fishermen, who, in the season, resort to the Rangeiey Lakes,
a short distance northward. The general plane of the town is 500 feet
above the sea, and much resembles North Conway, N. H. The village
has an excellent hotel, a town-hall capable of seating 300 persons, a
trotting park, an apothecary store, etc. There are very attractive
drives in the neighborhood—as Black Brook Notch, White Cap Moun-
tain,—which lias a good carriage road to near its top; Farmer’s Hill,
Bald Pate Mountain, Sawyer’s Notch, Ellis River Falls, the Devil’s
Den, Hermit Falls, Silver Ripple Cascade, the Cataracts, etc.

The manufactures of the town are lumber, doors, sash and blinds,
starch, cheese (factory) boots and shoes, edge-tools, carriages and har-

This township was purchased in 1791 of Massachusetts, by Samuel
Johnson and others of Old Andover. It was incorporated in 1804
under the name of East Andover, hut in 1821 became Andover,
simply. The first settler was Ezekiel Merrill, who in 1789, came with
his wife and six children from Andover, Mass., to this place,—having
stopped by the way at Fryeburgh. He and his three sons drew their
effects on hand-sleds through the woods, the only guide being the
spotted trail of the Indians. Mrs. Merrill lived here for three years
without seeing the face of any white female save her own three daugh-
ters. The next settlers were Jonathan Abbott, Samuel and Sylvanus
Poor, Theodore Brickett, Francis Swan, Josiah Wright, John Abbott,
Jeremiah Burnham, and others from Andover, Mass. These were of
the most respectable families of Old Andover; and this namesake on
the borders of civilization has ever been noted for its good society and
high standard of morals.

The first mills were erected in 1791 by Colonel Thomas Poor. The
first church was formed in 1804. The first minister settled was Rev.
John Strickland, in 1806. There are now a Congregational and a


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2