Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 188
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON. PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from

188    GAZETTEER    OF    MAINE.

Walter Bagnall; then Cape Elizabeth and Portland, each a part of
Falmouth at its incoporation. The county was included in Gorges
province of “ Laconia,” granted in 1622 ; in the “ Plough Patent ”
(Lygonia), granted to Dye and others, of London, in 1630, and sold
by them to Sir Alexander Rigby; it was included also in the part as-
signed to Gorges in the division of New England among the members
of the New England or Plymouth Company, in England, and named
by him “ New Somersetshire ; ” and, finally, in 1839, it was included in
the charter from the king to Gorges of the “ Province of Mayne.”
After the purchase of the province by Massachusetts in 1677, it came
under the jurisdiction of that commonwealth, and was represented in
its government; being included in the county of Yorkshire until its
organization under its present name in 1760. At first it embraced in
addition to its present territory, the counties of Androscoggin and
Franklin, and parts of the present counties of Oxford, Kennebec and

Cumberland contains twenty-five towns and one city. The Portland
and Ogdensburgh Railroad passes westward through the southern part;
the north-eastern part is traversed by the Maine Central Railroad and
its branches to Augusta and Bath ; and the Grand Trunk Railway
from Lewiston and Canada to Portland.

The valuation of the county in 1870 was $48,942,323. In 1880 it
was $556,460. The population in 1870 was 82,021. In the census of
1880 it was 86,402.

Cumberland Mills, a post-office in Westbrook, Cum-
berland County.

Cundy’S Harbor, a post-office in Harpswell, Cumberland

Curtis Corner, a post-office in Androscoggin County.

Cushing’ is situated on tbe western side of St. George’s River,
in the southern part of Knox County. It is bounded on the north by
Cushing and Thomaston, west by Friendship, and east by South
Thomaston and St. George’s, being separated from the two_ latter
towns by St. George’s River. Friendship River forms the dividing
line for two-thirds of their length between Cushing and Friendship.
Broad Cove and Maple Juice Cove are its principal harbors, lying on
the eastern side. The town tapers southward to a point. Directly
south of the mainland, and separated only by a narrow passage, i3
Gay’s Island, forming a part of the town. The area of Cushing is 8,600
acres. The surface is very rocky, and the tillage difficult.

The manufactures consist of boats, and cooper’s ware. The occu-
pation of the people is largely on the sea. The village is on the stage-
line from Thomaston to Friendship. It is 10 miles from the railroad
station at Rockland.

The plantation name for St. George and Cushing was St. George;
and, in like manner, at first incorporation in 1789, both became the
town of Cushing. The name was given in honor of Thomas Cushing,
lieutenant-governor of Massachusetts. Both formed a part of the Waldo


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2