Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
JACKSON BROOK. 289
the school property is valued at $3,500. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $153,703. In 1880 it was $158,033. The rate of taxation in
the latter year was per cent. The populationTi 1870 was 1,230. In
1880 it was 1,208.
Jackman Plantation, See article on Moose River
Jackson, a post-office in Waldo County.
Jackson is situated in the northern part of Waldo County,
15 miles N.N.W of Belfast. It is bounded on the east by Monroe,
south by Brooks,, west by Thorndike, and north by Dixmont, in
Penobscot County. In dimensions it is 5| miles in length from north
to south, and 5 miles wide from east to west. The surface is very
much broken; and in the north-western and southern part are many
hills. The principal streams are the Hadley Brook, and its tributary,
Moulton Brook, which form a branch of Marsh River. The manufac-
tures consist of long and short lumber (two mills), a carriage factory,
etc. The village is connected with Belfast by a stage-line.
The first settlement in this town was made in 1800 by Benjamin
Cates, of Gorham, from whom Cates Hill has its name. Joel Rich
arrived the next year, and settled on a hill which has since borne his
name. Other early settlers were Nicholas Hamlin, Benjamin Skillings,
John Cates, George, Elisha and Ebenezer Morton, and Nathaniel
Knight, most of whom were from Gorham. First Minister, S. Warren.
The town was a part of the Waldo Patent. Gen. Henry Knox,
who soon after the Revolution became proprietor of this patent, sold a
few lots to settlers, then disposed of all that remained to Israel Thorn-
dike, David Sears and William Prescott. Thorndike was a citizen of
Boston, but, having a taste for agricultural pursuits, he cleared up and
cultivated a large farm near the centre of the township, which he
stocked with horses, kine, sheep and poultry, and set out an orchard of.
500 apple trees. The place was long after his death known as the
Great Farm, but has since deteriorated.
The plantation was organized in 1812, and incorporated as a town in
1818. It was probably named in honor of Gen, Henry Jackson, a soldier of
the Revolution. Ezra Abbot, D.D., LL.D., was a native of the town.
The Congregationalists and Free Baptists each have a church in
town. The number of schoolhouses is ten ; and the value of the
school property is $3,000. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $176,-
604. In 1880 it was $159,315. The population in 1870 was 707. In
1880 it was 682.
Jackson Brook lies in the northern part of Washington
County, with its north-eastern corner resting on the southern section
of Grand Lake, at the head of St. Croix. It is bounded on the north
by Eaton and on the south by Codyville. It is on the road from Calais to
Houlton, being 45 miles from each. The European and North Ameiv
ican Railway runs through the midst of the township. The form is
square, and its area 36 square miles. This plantation was regarded as
having an organization at the State election in 1874. There is here a
large tannery, and the small manufactures common to villages.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2