Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
362 GAZETTEER OF MAINE
impinges upon it near the south-east corner. The centre of business of
the plantation is at this point. The post-office is at Smyrna Mills, near
by. The settlements are about here, and along the Smyrna and Rocka-
bema road, which runs north-west and south-east through the midst of
the town, with a few in the south-western part. Four lots are reserved
for public uses.
This plantation was organized in 1876. It has two public school-
houses, and the school property is estimated at $400. The valuation
of estates in 1880 was $15,605. The population in 1870 was 118. In
1880 it was 206.
Merry-meeting* Buy, see articles on Sagadahoc
County, Bowdoinham, Topsham, Brunswick and Bath.
Mexico, in the eastern part of Oxford County, is bounded on
the east by Dixfield, south by Peru, west by Rumford, and north by
Roxbury, and Carthage in Franklin County. The town is somewhat of
the diamond form, its largest ■ axis being about 8£ miles by 5 miles for
the shorter axis. The surface is agreeably varied with meadow and up-
land, with four considerable elevations. Three are set around the
middle of the town, and bear the names of Thompson, Porter and
Maun hills. The Androscoggin River forms the line on the south
boundary, Webbs River on the east, and Swift River, coming down
from the north, crosses and recrosses the western line. The rock is
mainly granite. The forests still show a noble growth of birch, beech,
maple, pine, spruce and hemlock. Along the rivers the soil is a sandy
loam, with red loam on the uplands. Corn, potatoes, wheat, hops, and
other crops are cultivated successfully, the last being probably the
largest crop sold directly.
Swift River has a fall of 50 feet in half a mile in this town. The
manufactures are at the southern angle of the town. There are here a
steam-mill (comprises a shingle, lath, board and grist mill), a tooth-
pick, a cheese, and a carriage factory. Mexico lies about 30 miles
north of Paris. It is on the stage-line from Bryants Pond on Grand
Trunk Railroad to Dixfield and Byron. The nearest railroad station
is that of the Buckfield and Rumford Falls railroad at Canton, about
10 miles distant. The post-offices are Mexico and Dixfield, the first in
the western part of the town, the second just across the river at the
Hon. Charles W. Walton, a judge of the Supreme Court of the
State, was formerly a resident of this town. Counting re-enlistments,
88 men were furnished by Mexico for the defence of the Uuion during
the war of the Rebellion.
This town was incorporated Feb. 13, 1818. As a plantation it was
called Ilolmanstown. There is a Universalist society in the town,
which sustains services. The number of schoolhouses is five, valued
with land at $1,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $92,539. In
1880 it was $105,618. The rate of taxation in the latter year was 2 per
cent. The population in 1870 was458. In 1880 it was 403.
Middle Dam, a post-office in Oxford County, on the west
side of the lower Richardson Lake, at the outlet.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2