Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
376 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
was in Androscoggin County. The act of incorporation was not passed
until 1816; and the present name had taken the place of the one pro-
posed in commemoration of the event at the Russian city of that name
in the year the petition was made.
A Baptist church was established in the town in 1812. The Free
Baptist is now the principal religious society in town. The public
schoolhouses number seven ; and the entire school property is valued
at $1,800. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $91,386. In 1880
it was $95,142. The population in 1870 was 528. In 1880 it was 522.
Moss Plantation lies on the south-western border of
Aroostook County, 24 miles west of Houlton. It is on the stage-
line from Patten to Ashland. Merrill Plantation bounds it on
the east, Hersey on the south, and Penobscot County on the west. The
surface is quite broken and hilly. The highest elevation is called
Matawamkeag Hill. Pichet Mountain, on the south-western boundary,
also has considerable height. Rockabema Lake, lying a little north-
west of the centre of the town, is the source of the West Branch of the
Mattawamkeag River. Its superficial area is 2£ square miles. There
are at least 13 other ponds, large and small, in the township. The
streams are the west branch of the Mattawamkeag, which winds
through the town, receiving on its way the outlets of the several ponds,
together with Upper and Lower Hastings Brook, Mill Brook and
others. A saw-mill making long and short lumber, a clapboard and a
grist-mill, and a carriage-factory, constitute the manufactures of the
The first settlements here were made in 1837, by Messrs. Lewis,
Bradford and Brown. In 1850 a plantation was organized under
the name Rockabema, which was changed to the present one
in 1860. There is a Methodist society in the plantation, which
has regular meetings and stated preaching. Moro has a good school-
house, and its school property is valued at $500. There are seven
lots in the township reserved for public uses. The valuation of
estates in 1880 was $46,693. The rate of taxation was 1^- cents n
the dollar. The population in 1870 was 107. In 1880 it was 171.
Mount Abraham is an elevation of land in Franklin
County, having several peaks, and occupying an entire township ; its
base extending into Salem, the adjoining town on the south. Its height
is 3,387 feet. Mts summit is far above the limits of forest vegetation,
and presents hundreds of acres covered with long moss, with a few
Mount Agamenticus, —see article on York.
Mount Blue, —see article on Avon.
Mount Chase is situated in the northern part of Penobscot
County, on the eastern side, 100 miles north of Bangor. It is on the
sta^e-line from Winn, on the European and North American Railway,
to Fort Kent. It was incorporated March 21, 1864, having previously
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2