Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
NEALEYS CORNER. 381
1880 it was 258. There is one schoolhouse, valued at $50. The val-
, uation of estates in 1880 was $32,273. The rate of taxation was about
*- 1 mill on a dollar.
A Muscongus Patent, see article on Waldo Patent.
Naples is situated in the north-western part of Cumberland
County, between Bridgton and Lake Sebago. It is bounded on the
north by Bridgton, Harrison and Otisfield, on the east by Otisfield and
Casco, south by the latter, Lake Sebago and the town of Sebago, west
by the last and by the south-western part of Bridgton. The town was
made up from parts of Otisfield, Harrison, Raymond, Bridgton, and
Sebago. It contains about 20,000 acres of land and wTater, the latter
amounting to about 3,300 acres. The date of its incorporation is 1834.
About one-third of Long Pond is within its limits, together with
Brandy Pond, continuous through a short narrow with the former, and
Trickey Pond. The streams are Songo River, 6 miles long, connecting
Brandy Pond with Lake Sebago; Crooked River, which forms the
larger portion of the eastern boundary of the town ; Muddy River,
outlet of Holts Pond and Cold Stream Creek, connecting Cold-rain
Pond with Peabody Pond.
The rock formation of Naples is granitic, having many dikes of
quartz and trap rock. The granite is coarse and of little value as a
building material from the preponderance of mica and felspar. There
are localities, however, where a good quality of gneiss is quarried.
There are also scattered over the surface many granite and gneiss
boulders, much worn and some very large. These afford a limited
quantity of building stone, and fine specimens of flesh colored felspar
The surface of the town is pleasantly diversified with hill, valley, plain,
and sheets of water. The soil varies from arid sand to tough clay; but
the larger portion is a gravelly loam, containing many pebbles and bowl-
ders. The uplands afford excellent grazing, and hay is the principal
crop. There is a canning factory of the Portland Packing Company
at Naples Village, which creates a considerable demand for sweet corn.
Other manufactures of the town are carriages, cooperage, mens and
boys clothing and boots and shoes. The strait uniting Long and
Brandy ponds is spanned at Naples Village by a drawbridge. Except
by a single lock on Songo River, navigation between the northern
parts of Bridgton and Harrison and all parts of Sebago Ponds, a dis-
tance of about 25 miles, is uninterrupted. Naples is the terminus of
the stage-line from the station of tbe Grand Trunk railway at Oxford.
It is also on the stage-line from Portland to Bridgton. A narrow
guage railway projected between the latter places will also pass through
Naples, if constructed.
There are a Methodist, a Congregationalist and a Union church in
the town. Naples has eleven public schoolhouses, valued at $4,000.
The valuation of estates in 1870 was $268,645; in 1880, $242,618.
Tbe population in 1870 was 1058. In 1880 it was 1008.
Nasons Mills,—a post-office in York County.
Nealeys Conner,—a post-office in Hampden, Penobscot
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2