Gazetteer of the State of Maine, 1882 page 594
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney

BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from


60uth of the centre of the town. The principal stream is the western
branch of the Sheepscot, which passes through the eastern part of the
town from north to south, affording power for a grist-mill, lumber,
shingle, and carding-mills. Leather is the only other manufacture of
note. At tbe period of its settlement, the town was remarkable for
the quantity and quality of its pine, oak, hemlock, and other woods.

The land is fertile and well-cultivated. The town is about 10 miles
from the Kennebec, on the stage-line from Augusta to Belfast. The
territory of the town belonged to the Plymouth Patent. The first
settlement was commenced in 1790 hy Walter Dockindoff, Thomas    y

Labalister, Prince Keen, Samuel Pierce, John Linn, Dr. Stephen Bar-
ton, Benjamin and Joseph Hilton, Joseph Linscott, aud Joseph Trask.

The town incorporation was in 1809 under the name of Malta. It was
changed to Gerry in 1820, and to the present one in 1822. Joseph
Trask, Jr., born October 30th, 1790, was the first native citizen of
Windsor. In the history of the town the murder of Paul Chadwick,
a surveyor for the proprietors in 1809, by some squatters disguised as    i

Indians, is an important incident. Several arrests were made ; and
though an attack upon the jail was attempted by an armed band of
disguised men, the offenders were brought to trial. The evidence,
though conclusive as to the killing by some person in the company
accused, did not show whose shot caused the death of the unfortunate    j

man; and as the public feeling was largely in favor of the accused, all    ,

were acquitted by the jury.    ‘

The post-offices are Windsor, and West and South Windsor. The    i

Methodists and Baptists each have a church in the town. Windsor is    p

said to have sent about two hundred soldiers into the war for the Union,
and to have lost about one hundred and twenty-five. The town has
thirteen public schoolhouses, valued at $3,000. The valuation of
estates in 1870 was $262,212 ; in 1880, $302,088. The rate of taxation in
1880 was 2^ per cent. In 1870, the population of Windsor was 1,266 ;
but according to the census of 1880 it has fallen off to 1,079.

Wing’s Mills, a small village in the town of Levant, Penob-
scot County, the same as Levant Post-Office.

Winn lies on the eastern bank of Penobscot River, in the
eastern quarter of Penobscot County, about 55 miles north by north-east
of Bangor. It is bounded on the north by Mattawamkeag, east by
Webster Plantation, south by Lee and Lincoln, and west by Chester.

The Penobscot River separates it from the last. The area is 22,040
acres. The rock is chiefly granite and slate. The Mattakeunk is the
principal stream, entering the town at the south-east and discharging
at the north into the Mattawamkeag, which has a part of its course
along the northern line. Salmon Stream, in the western part of the
town, is the next in size. Each of these have falls suitable for driving
mills. The basins of the Mattakeunk and Salmon streams lie mostly
in this town, and are still largely covered with forest. The manufac-
tories of Winn consist of two saw-mills for long and short lumber, one
for short lumber, a large tannery, a carriage-factory, a boot and shoe
shop, etc. The European and North American railroad passes along
the river, having a station at Winn village, in the northern part of the
town. This place is at the head of steamboat navigation on the Pen*


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2