Lumbering is extensively pursued. Allegany, (p.v.,)-upon Allegany River, e. of the center,
contains a tannery, door and blind factory, 3 churches, and 70 houses. It is a station on the N. Y.
& E. R. R. The Franciscan College is located near the village.1 Five Mile Hun is a p.o.
The first settler was Ebenezer Reed, from Conn., who located near the mouth of Nine Mile Creek
in 182.0.2 The first religious services (Bap.) were held at the house of James Strong, by Elder
Benj. Cole, in 1823. The first church (M. E.) was formed in 1829.3
ASIIFOMD—was formed from Ellicottville, Feb. 16, 1824. It is centrally located on the n.
border of the co. The surface is hilly, with ridges extending generally in a n. and s. direction.
The highest points in the s. part are 300 feet above the valleys. Cattaraugus Creek, forming the
N. boundary, and Buttermilk Creek, are the principal streams. The soil is a slaty loam intermixed
with gravel and clay. Maple sugar is largely manufactured. Asllford, (p. v.,) in the s. w. part
of the town, contains a grist and saw mill, 2 churches, and 36 dwellings; East Ashford (p-o.)
contains 2 churches and 11 dwellings.' The first settlers were Henry Frank and his two sons An¬
drew and Jacob II., from Herkimer co., who located on Lot 56, in 1816.4 The first church (F. W.
Bap.) was organized in 1821, by Elder Richard M. Cary. There are now 6 churches in town.5
SSFCIkTOOTII—Avas formed from Little Yalley, Nov. 19, 1854. It lies upon the s. border
of the co., av. of the center. Its surface is mostly a broken and mountainous upland, the highest
summits being 800 to 1,000 feet above the valleys. Allegany River flows w. and s. w. through the
N. part. The other principal streams are Red House, Little Yalley, and Bucktooth Creeks, and
Sawmill Run. The soii is a clay and sandy loam. A large share of the town is yet covered with
forests; and lumbering forms the leading pursuit.6 Bucktooth is a p.o. in the n. part. A
few settlements Avere made previous to 1812; but they were abandoned during the war. The first
permanent settler Avas James Rosenbury, aa4io located in toAvn in 1816.7 The only church (M. E.)
was formed about 1830.
^ C ARUCtI/TON8—was formed from Great Yalley, March 9,1842. Part of Allegany Reservation
was annexed in 1847. It is the central toAvn upon the s. border of the co. Ball Hill, in the s. e! part,
is 800 feet above the valley. The Allegany flows n. w. through the n. part, receiving as tributaries
TunegaAvant and Windfall Creeks. The soil is a clay and shaly loam upon the uplands, and a
gravelly loam in the valleys. Lumbering is the leading pursuit. Flmestoise,9 (p. o.,) in the
s. part, and Tuna, (p. o.,) in the n., are hamlets. Charles Foster, Horace Howe, and Marcus
Leonard located upon Lots 28 and 29 in 1814.10 The first religious meeting (Bap.) was held by
Rev. Aaron Kellogg, at his own house, in 1831; and the first church (M. E.) was organized in 1843.
The census reports 2 churches; M. E. and R. C.
COFl> SPIilMd—was formed' from Napoli, March 20, 1837. Parts of South Yalley were
taken off in 1847 and ’48. It is an interior toA\Tn, near the s. w. corner of the co. The surface
is a hilly and broken upland, the highest summits being 400 to 500 feet above the valleys. The
A llegany flows s. w. through the n. e. corner, and receives from the n. Cold Spring Creek, which flows
through the center. The soil is a clay and slaty loam upon the uplands, and a sandy and gravelly
loam in the valleys. ’ A sulphur spring is found in the n. e. part. There is no village, p. o., or
church edifice in town. Lumbering is extensively carried on. The first settlements were made by
Chas. Crook, with his 3 sons Chas., jr., Ira, and Nathan, from Yt., on Lot 32, and Joshua Basson,
6 2 Bap., F. W. Bap., Cong., M. E., and Wes. Meth-
6 This town contains, an area of 47,620 acres, of which less th&n
1,000 acres were under cultivation in 1855.
t Among the other early settlers were James Green, Adam
Johnson, and John Boutcll. Tlie first birth was that of a child
of David Hathaway, in 1834; and the first marriage, that of An-
dijiw Mills and Sally Iladly. Leister Granger taught tiip first
school, in 1834; Adam Johnson kfept the first inn, in 1832, and
John Boardman tlie first store, in 1834.' The first sawmill was
built by the Indians, in 1813, on Sawmill Run.
8 Named front G. Carrolton, one of the original proprietors.
9 Upon tlie fiats near Limestone are the remains of an ancient
fortification. It is in the shape of a figure 8, the remains of tho
ditch and earthworks being plainly visible.
10 John and Wm. Moore, Elias Stone, Peter Zeluff, Ho
cock, Isaac Farr, Aaron Kellogg, and Wm. Smith settled or Tuna
Creek in 1828. The first birth was that of Merit Zeluff, in June,
1829; the first marriage, that of Brown and Emeline Fuller,
in 1828; and the first, death, that of Enoch Fuller, in 1828. Tho
first school was taught by Milton Northrop, at Limestone, in the
Avinter of 1830-31. Elias Stone kept the first inn, near tho
mouth of Tuna Creek, in 1828, and Chas. Lewis the first store,
in 1832. The first sawmill was built by Marcus Leonard, in
This institution is under the control of tlie Franciscan (R. C.)
Association. The buildings to-e now in process of erection.
Nicholas Devereux donated to the association, for the institute,
200 acres of land and $5,000.
Among the other early settlers were Andrew L. Allen, Hiram
Wood. .Tames Strong, Tsaac Eggleston, A mos B. and David Orton,
who located on Five Mile Creek, in 1821. The first child born
was Nathan Reed, Oct. 2, 1820; the first marriage, that of AVm.
B. Fox and Sally Strong, in 1825; and the first persons who died
were children of Isaac Eggleston, in 1823. Leonard Cronkhite
taught tlie first school, in a house of James Strong’s, in the
winter of 1825-26; Ebenezer Reed kept the first inn, in 1820;
Aaron Wheeler, the first store, in 1833; and Reuben Lamberton
erected the first sawmill, bn Five Mile Creek, in 1826.
The census reports 4 churches; Bap., Cong., M. E., and R. C.
t 4 Among the other early settlers were John Ooodemote, Sami.
Flagg, Griffin and David Wyley, Amos,. David, Thomas, and
Maiey Sampson, David Oyer, Augustus Van Slylce, Calvin Wood¬
ruff, Marcena Brooks, Jacob and Michael Iloughstader, John
Quackenbush and his son Peter, all from Herkimer and Mont-
■ gomery cos., and all of whom located in town in 1818. The first
birth was that of Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob II. Frank, in the
fall of 1817; and the first death, that of Phoebe, a child of An¬
drew Frank, Aug. 30,1818. Danl. Thomas and Norman B. Car¬
ter taught the first schools, in 1822-23.