Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 312
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.


graphical center of the co. and s. of the center of population. Its surface is leyel in the n.
and broken and hilly in the s. The principal stream is the Salmon River, which flows northerly
through the town in a deep valley worn by its waters, and nearly its whole course in town is a
succession of rapids and cascades. Along the sr. border are extensive pine plains. The soil in the
n., where not covered by light drift deposits, is fertile and well improved, but in the s. it is sandy
and unproductive. An iron ore, from which a paint resembling sienna is manufactured, has
been discovered in the s. part. Potsdam sandstone, of an excellent quality for building; has been
extensively quarried near the village. Malone,1 (p.v.,) the co. seat, and the only incorp. village
in the co., is pleasantly situated on Salmon River. Pop. 1993. It is the seat of the Franklin
Academy,2 and is the most important intermediate station upon the Ogdensburgh R. R.3 The vil¬
lage is supplied with spring water by an incorp. company.4 Titusville (p.o.) is a small village
at the Great Falls, on Salmon River in the s. part of the town.5 The first settlements were made
near Malone Village, about the beginning of the present century, by emigrants from Vt.6 An
arsenal was built at the village in 1812, and sold in 1850.7 In 1813-14 the place was visited and
plundered by the British. The first church (Cong.) was formed in 1806-07, by Ebenezer Hibbard
and Amos Pettengill. Rev. Ashbel Parmelee was the first pastor, and the first settled minister
in the co.8

MOIRA9—was formed from Dickinson, April 15, 1828. It lies on the w. border of the co.,
N. of the center. The surface is generally level, with a slight inclination toward the
n. The
principal streams are Little Salmon River and Lawrence Brook. The soil is a sandy loam, gene¬
rally fertile. Moira Corners (Moira p.o.) is a small village near the center. Rrusbs
Mills,10 (p.v.,) on Little Salmon River, is an important wooding station on the
R. R. This
town fell to the share of Gilchrist and Fowler, upon apportionment, and was first settled by
Appleton Foote, as agent, in 1803.11 Luther Bradish,12 Robert Watts, and Peter Kean afterward
became the owners respectively of the
n., middle, and s. thirds of the town. There are 3
churches in town.13

WESTVILLE14—was formed from Constable, April 25, 1829. It lies near the center of the
N. border of the co. The surface is nearly level, with a slight inclination toward the
n. It is
drained by Salmon River, upon which are several falls, affording a good supply of water power.
The soil is a fertile, clayey loam. Bog iron ore, found on the s. border, has been used to some
extent in forges in the town. A sulphur spring, of some local notoriety, lies near the center of the
n. border. Westville (W. Constable p.o.) is a small village on Salmon River. This town was
held by the Constable family; and for many years Wm. Bailey, of Chateaugay, and Albon Mann,
were agents. In 1822 the unsold portions were sold to Edward Ellice, of London. The first
settlements commenced about 1800, by emigrants from Vt.15 There are 4 churches in town.16

Bap., and R. C. In Nov. 1857, Rev. Barnard McCabe, Catholic
priest, was accidentally burned to death.

8 Named from the Earl of Moira. Embraces Moira,” or No.
4 of Great Tract No. I. The name was applied to the township
long before the incorporation of the town.

10 Named from Henry N. Brush, an extensive proprietor of
lands in this vicinity and resident of the village.

11 Among the first settlers were Benj. Seeley, Jonathan Law¬
rence, Joseph Plumb, and David Bates. Schools were esta¬
blished in 1807.

12 Mr. Bradish resided here for several years. He represented
the co. in the Assembly in 1828-29-30-36-37-38, and was a
resident here when elected Lieut. Gov. in 1838.

i8 Cong., R. C., and Union, (the last belonging to the M. E. and
Christian denominations.)

1* Named from the village, so called from its location in the old
town of Constable.

1* Among the first settlers were Amos Welch, Haskins,

Elisha Sabins, Sami. Pletcher, John Reed, Alex. McMillen, Silas
Cushman, John Livingston, Jos. and Thos. Wright, and Airic
and Albon Mann. The first sawmill was built by Amos Welch.
The first school was taught by Samuel Russell, In 186(5.

18 Presb., M. E., Univ. and Union.


Incorp. 1853.


The academy building is finely located in the W. pfirt of the


8 The machine and repair shops of the R. R., located here,
are on a magnificent scale, and are fitted up in a superior style.
The repairs of the Potsdam and Watertown R. R. rolling stock
are also done here.


* The Malone Water Works Co., incorp. March 23, 1857.
Capital, $15,000.


B Henry B. Titus commenced improvements in this part of
the town, by building mills and a scythe factory, in 1831. After
several years’ suspension, improvements and settlements have
been renewed under James H. Titus, of N. Y.


Among the first settlers were Enos, Nathan and John Wood,
Nowell Conger, Luther Winslow, Jehial Berry, Noah Moody,
Roswell Wilcox, and David and Lyman Sperry. The first child
born was Malone, daughter of L. Winslow. The first sawmill
was built in 1804, by N. and J. Wood.


~ The proceeds of this sale were applied to the improve¬
ment of the arsenal green and parade ground; and a
further sum of $500 was appropriated for the same purpose in


The census reports 6 churches; Cong., Prot. E., Union, M. E.,


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2