The Oneida Standard was commenced at Waterville in 1833.
It was subsequently removed to Utica, and after tbe
discontinuance of tbe Democrat it assumed tbe name of
The Standard and Democrat, Quartus Graves, publisher. In
1835 it became obnoxious to its enemies from its aboli¬
tionism, and on tbe evening of Oct. 21 the office was
entered by a mob and a part of tbe type and furniture
were thrown into the street.
the wonderful natural channel of navigation that extended through this co., and which, with a
short and easy portage, connected the Mohawk with the great lakes and the fertile regions of the
West. About the commencement of the last century, plans were proposed for improving this route
and for fortifying tbe most important points upon it. The portage at Rome, from the Mohawk to
Wood Creek, became a point of the first importance, and it was occupied as early as 1725 ; and a
fortification known as Eort Bull was built upon Wood Creek soon after. On the 27th of March,
1756, this fort was surprised by a party of French and Indians, under M. De Lery, who bad pene¬
trated through an interior route from La Presentation, on the St. Lawrence, by an exhausting
march of 15 days. The garrison were unprepared; yet they made a spirited but ineffectual, re¬
sistance, and nearly every person perished. Alarm was carried to Port Williams, on the Mohawk,
4 mi. distant, and a force was hastily sent to relieve Fort Bull, hut arrived too late to render assist¬
ance. The enemy, after wasting the stores and provisions, retired with their prisoners and plunder
The Friend of Man was commenced at Utica by the N. Y. State
Anti-Slavery Society in 1836, Wm. Goodell, editor. In
1841 Stanley P.. Hough became editor, and in 1842
Wesley Bailey became proprietor, and united with it
the Abolitionist, of Cazenovia, and changed tbe name to
The Liberty Press. It was discontinued in 1849.
The V tica Teetotaler was commenced by Wesley Bailey in 1849.
In 1856 A. K. Bailey became proprietor. In 1858 it was
united with the Ilion Independent, tbe new paper
taking the name of
Tlie Central Independent, under which title it is now
published by G. W. Bungay & A. K. Bailey, editors.
Youth’s Miscellany was published at Utica by Bennett & Bright
The Christian Visitant, mo., was published at Utica by A. B.
. Groosh in 1835.
The Talisman was published at Utica by Bennett & Bright in
Mothers’ Monthly Journal was published at Utica by Kingsford,
Bennett & Bright in 1836.
The Examiner was published at Utica in 1836, and
The Freeman at Utica in 1837, both by E. Dorchester.
V Cenhadwr Americanidd, mo., (Welsh, American
Messenger,) was commenced at Utica in 1840. In 1842
it was removed to Remsen, and is now published by
Rev. Robert Everett.
Anti-Slavery Lecturer was published at Utica a short time by
Wm. Goodell in 1839.
X Cyfaill (Welsh, The Friend) was removed from New
York by Rev. W. Rowland in 1841. In 1844 it was re¬
turned to NewYork. In 1854 it was removed to Rome,
and in 1857 to Utica. It is now published by Thus.
Central New York Washingtonian was published at Utica and
Rome in 1842.
The Wesleyan Methodist was commenced at Utica by David
Plumb in 1841. A paper, known successively as the
Cortland Luminary and Ref. Meth. Intelligencer and
the Fayetteville Luminary, was united with it, and tbe
name changed to the
Methodist Reformer. In 1842 it was removed to Cazenovia, and
soon after to Utica, W. Bailey, publisher. In 1843 it
_ was merged in the True Wesleyan, of New York City.
The TJtica Daily News, the first daily paper in Utica, was com¬
menced by Joseph M. Lyon, John Arthur, C. Edwards
Lester, and Jarvis M. Hatch, in Jan. 1842. It was con¬
tinued about 7 months.
The Ulicanian was published a short time by Squires & Soliss
The American. Journal of Insanity (quarterly)
was commenced by Dr. A. Brigham in 1843, and was
edited for a time by Dr. T. R. Beck.
The Washingtonian was published at Utica by J. C. Donaldson
Cysell Men Wladyn Americanidd (Welsh) was published at
Utica by E. E. Roberts in 1843.
Young Ladies’ Miscellany was published at Utica by Bennett,
Backus & Hawley in 1843.
Seren Arllewindl, (Welsh, Western Star,) mo., was commenced
’ at Utica in June, 1844. In 1846 it was removed to Penn.
Washingtonian News was published at Utica by Matteson Baker
The Clinton Signal was commenced by Paine & McDonald in
1846. In 1848 its name was changed to
The Radiator; and in 1849 the original name was resumed.
In 1850 it was published as the
Oneida Chief, by Ira D. Brown. In 1855 it passed into the
bands of Francis E. Merritt, and in 1857 into the
hands of John H. Osborn, who changed its name to the
Clinton Courier, and still continues its publication.
The Central News was published at Utica by M. Baker in 1846.
Haul Gomer, (Welsh, Gomerian Sun,) semi-mo., was commenced
in 1847 and issued 1 year.
The Central City Cadet was started at Utica in 1849 by James
& Howard. In 1850 it was changed to
The Cadet’s Banner, and was soon after discontinued.
The Equalizer, a campaign paper, was published at Utica in
Tlie Opal, mo., was commenced in 1851. It is edited and
printed by patients of tbe Lunatic Asylum.
The American Free Missionary was removed from McGrawville
to Utica in 1850 or :51. ’
The American Baptist was commenced by tbe Free Mission
Soc., W. Walker, editor, in 1850. In 1856 it was re¬
moved to NewYork City.
The Diamond, mo., a boys’ paper, was published at Utica 2
months in 1850 by A. K. Bailey, E. Wetmore, and C.
Tlie Northern Farmer, mo., was commenced at Utica
in Jan. 1852. It is now edited by T. B. Miner.
The Rural American was commenced at Utica in Jan.
1856, as a semi-mo. In Jan. 1859, its publication was
commenced weekly. It is now edited by T. B. Miner.
Mechanics’ National Reporter was published at Utica a short
time in 1851.
The Utica Evening Telegraph was commenced by
Thos. R. McQuade, J. F. McQuade, editor, in May, 1852.
In Feb. 1858, the office was burned. The publication
was resumed in May, and is still continued. *
The Scientific Daguerrean, mo., was commenced at Utica by D.
D. T. Davie and Guerdon Evans in Jan. 1853.
Y Gwyliedydd (Welsh, Tbe Watchman,) was commenced at
Utica by a company, Morgan Ellis, editor, in 1854. In
1856 it was removed to New York City and united with
The Oneida Demokrat, semi-w., was published at Utica in 1854
by Paul Keiser & Co..
Young Folk’s Advocate, mo., was commenced at Utica
in July, 1858. It is now edited and published by T. B.
The Civil and Religious Intelligencer was published at Sanger-
field in 1818.
The Rome Republican was commenced by Lorin Dewey in Feb.
1825. In May following, Chauncey Beach succeeded as
publisher; and in 1830 the paper was united with the
Oneida Republican, commenced in June, 1828, by J. P. Yan
Sice. Tbe united papers were continued by Yan Sice,
under tbe title of
The Republican. In 1831, E. Moon purchased and enlarged the
paper, and changed its name to the
Rome Telegraph. Jas. N. Harris, John. Boydon, H. A. Foster,
and others were successively interested in its publica¬
tion. In 1838 it passed into the hands of B.Waldley,
who changed its name to the
Democratic Sentinel, Calvert Comstock, editor. In 1840 L. 11.
Dana became editor; and in 1845 H. T. Utley and S.W.
Morton purchased it and changed its name to tbe
Rome Sentinel. In Sept. 1846, Morton sold to A. J.
Rowley; and in 1847 Utley sold to A. J. Rowley & Co.,
E. Comstock, editor. In 1850 Rowley became sole pro¬
prietor; and in Jan. 1852, he sold to Elan Comstock.
Rome Dally Sentinel was commenced by C. & E. Com¬
stock, in connection with the Rome Sentinel, in July,
1852. In Oct. 1854, E. Wager and D. D. Rowley, the
present publishers, bought one-half, and in April, 1855,
the remainder, of the establishment.
The Vernon Courier was commenced in July, 1835. In 1840 it
was removed to Borne, and its name changed to
The Roman Citizen, C. B. Gay, editor, and II. N. Bill,
proprietor. J. K. Kenyon, J. P. Fitch, Alfred Sanford,
Geo. Scott, G. II. Lynch, A. D. Griswold, and A. C,
Sanford were successively interested in its pn blication.
In Oct. 1854. A. Sanford became sole proprietor. In
1855 the office was burned. The publication of the
paper was soon after resumed by Mr. Sanford, and is
still continued by him.