Pabius) in 1836 by J. Tenney, and was continued for 3
476 ONONDAGA COUNTY.
This co. was the chief seat of the Onondaga Nation of Indians, the central of the Five Nations.
Their name is said to signify “ sons of the hills,” or “ men of the mountains.” To this nation was
intrusted the care of the sacred council fire; and upon their territory were held the great councils
of the Iroquois, to decide upon peace, war, and matters of general policy. The Onondagas were
regarded as particularly a sacred nation; and their chiefs were more influential than those of any
other nation. The most authentic accounts of these Indians seem to indicate that they were origin¬
ally a subordinate tribe, living upon the St. Lawrence near Montreal, and were held in subjection,
by the Adirondacks, then the most powerful nation of the North. Several hundred years before
the discovery of America, they rose upon their oppressors, but were defeated. They then fled, and,
The Western State Journal was started March 20,1839, by V. W.
& S. F. Smith. In 1844 its name was changed to
Tlie Syracuse "Weekly Journal. In 1847 it was
published by Barnes, Smith & Cooper; and- in 1849
it passed into the hands of V. W. Smith. In 1852 Seth
‘ Haight became proprietor, and George Terwilliger
editor. In 1853 Danforth Merrick tjecams proprietor,
and in 1854 it passed into the hands of T. S. Truair,
Andrew Shuman editor. In 1855 J. G. K. Truair,
bought the establishment; and Sept. 1, 1856, Anson
G. Chester assumed the editorial charge. It is now
published by J. G. K. Truair & Co., Rodney L. Adams,
Tlie Syracuse Daily Journal was established July 4,
1844, by S. F. Smith. It is now issued by J. G. K.
Truair & Co., and edited by R. L. Adams and T. S.
The Empire State Democrat and United States Review was
started in 1840 by Hiram Cummings, and continued
about 3 years.
The Onondaga Messenger was started in 1841 by Joseph Barber.
In 1842 it was changed to
The Syracusean, and was continued about 1 year-.
The Morning Sentinel (first daily paper in Syracuse) was started
in Jan. 1843, by N. M. D. Lathrop, and was continued
about 1 year, when it was changed to
The Onondaga Sentinel, and issued weekly, with a few intervals,
The Democratic Freeman was started in 1844 by J. N. T. Tucker,
continued a short time thereafter by Janies Kinney as
publisher and J. N. T. Tucker as editor, when it was
The Syracuse Star. In 1846 it was published by Kinney, Marsh
& Barnes; in 1847-48 by Kinney & Marsh; in 1849-
50-51 by Kinney & Masters. It soon after passed into
the hands of Geo. F. Comstock, publisher, and Winslow
M. Watson, editor. In 1852 S. Corning Judd became
editor and proprietor. In October, 1853, it passed into
the hands of Edward Hoogland, who changed it to
The Syracuse Republican and continued it about 1 year.
The Syracuse Daily Star was established in 1846, and issued
with the Weekly Star until 1853, when it was changed to
The Syracuse Daily Republican, and discontinued in about 1
The Bugle Blast, a campaign paper, was published 3 months in
1844 by S. F. Smith.
Young Hickory, another campaign paper, was issued about the
same time by Smith & Farmer.
The Religious Recorder (Presb.) was started in May, 1844, by
Terry & Platt. In 1847 it passed into the hands of
Avery & Bulin, who continued it until 1853.
The Liberty Intelligencer was started in 1845 by Silas Hawley,
and was continued about 1 year.
The Young Ladies’ Miscellany was started Nov. 7,1845, by a
committee of young ladies belonging to the Syracuse
Female Seminary, and was continued 12 weeks.
The Teachers’ Advocate was commenced in 1846 by L. W. Hall,
publisher, and Edward Cooper editor. In 1847 it
passed into the hands of Barnes, Smith & Cooper,
and was continued about 1 year, when it was sold to
Joseph McKean and removed to New York.
The Onondaga Democrat was started in the spring of 1846 by
Clark & West; Wm. L. Crandal, editor. In 1847 it
was sold to John Abbott, w-ho changed it to
The Syracuse Democrat. At the end of 1 year it was sold to
Wm. W. Green, and in 1847 to Agan & Summers and
merged in the Onondaga Standard.
The District School Journal, organ of the State School Depart¬
ment, was removed to Syracuse from Albany in 1847,
and published 2 years by L. W. Hall, and 1 year by
Barnes, Smith & Cooper, when it went hack to
The Syracuse Reveille, daily, was started in 1848 by Wm. L.
Palmer & W. Summers, and was continued until Jan. 1,
The Free Soil Campaigner, a campaign paper, was published 3
months in 1848 by Agan & Summers.
The Clay Banner, a campaign paper, was published about the
same time fro A the Journal office.
The Impartial Citizen, semi-mo., was started in 1848 by Samuel
R. Ward, and was continued about 1 year.
The Crystal Fountain was started in 1848 by A. B. F. Ormsby,
and continued 3 months.
The Adventist was published 3 months in 1849 by L. Delos
The Literary Union was commenced April 7, 1849, by W. W.
Newman, J. M. Winchell, and James Johonnot, and
was continued about 1* years.
The Free School Clarion was published a few months in the fall
of 1849 by Wm. L. Crandal.
The Liberty Party Paper was started July 4, 1849, by John
Thomas, and was continued 2 years.
The Central City, daily, was published a short time in 1849 by
The Syracusean, mo., was established in 1850 by Wm. H. Mose¬
ley. In 1851 it was changed to
The Syracusean and United States Review, and in 1856 to
Tlie Syracusean and Onondaga County Re¬
view. It is still issued occasionally.
The Syracuse Independent was published about 3 months in
The Evening Transcript was started in 1850 by Washington
Yan Zandt, and continued about 2 months.
The Archimedian was commenced in 1850 ; B. F. Sleeper, pub¬
lisher, and John Abbott, editor. It was discontinued
The Central New Yorker was begun in 1850 by L. P. Rising,
and was continued but a short time.
The Family Companion, mo., was published a short time in
The Temperance Protector, semi-mo., was commenced in 1850 by
Wm. H. Burleigh, and was continued about 2 years.
The Carson League was started in 1851; Thomas L. Carson,
publisher, and John Thomas, editor. It was continued
about 2 years, when it was removed to Albany.
The American Medical and Surgical Journal, mo., was started
Jan. 1,1851, by Potter & Russell, and was continued
The Journal of Health was issued about 6 months by S. H.
Potter in 1851.
The Onondaga Demokrat (German) was started in September,
1852, by George Saul. In October, 1856, it was
Tlie Syracuse Democrat, and is still continued by the
The Deutsche Republican (German) was issued a short time in
The Pree Democrat was started in 1852 by J.. E. Masters, pub¬
lisher, and R. R. Raymond, editor. In February, 1853,
it was changed to
The Syracuse Chronicle. The paper was owned by a joint stock
company, and edited by R. R. Raymond about 1 year,
when George Barnes became proprietor. In June, 1855,
Samuel H. Clark bought, the concern, and S. W. Ar¬
nold assumed the editorship of the paper. In February,
1856, the office was burned, and the paper was merged
in the Journal.
The Evening Chronicle, daily, was issued from the Chroniclo
office during the continuation of the weekly paper.
The Seraph’s Advocate, mo., was started in the fall of 1852 by
Miss Keziah E. Prescott, and was continued 1 year.
La Ruche, a French paper, was started in 1852 by A. L. Walliot.
A few numbers only were issued.
Tlie Wesleyan was removed to Syracuse from New York,
Jan. 1,1858, by Rev. L. E. Matlack. In October, 1856,
Cyrus Pj-indle became editor; and the paper is still
issued by him.
The Juvenile Instructor, semi-mo., is issued from ths
Wesleyan office, and is under the same management.
The Reformer was published a short time in 1854 by A. Pryne.
The Unionist, mo., and
The Union Herald, mo., were issued from the Reformer office.
The Evangelical Pulpit was started in January, 1854, by 11(3v.
Luther Lee, and was continued about 2 years.
The Home Circle was published by L. W. Hall about 1 year in
The American Organ, daily, was commenced in 1855 by Way &
Minier. It soon passed into the hands of II. P Winsor
and continued about a year.
The Onondaga Hard Shell was started October 26,1855, and was