528 OSWEGO COUNTY.
(p.v.,) near the center, 15. Settlement was commenced by Abram Paddock, in 1800.1 The first
church (M. E.) was organized in 1826. There are now 5 churches in town.2
SCRIBA3—was taken from “ Fredericksburgh” (nowYolney) as part of Oneida co., April 5,1811.
It lies upon the shore of Lake Ontario and the e. bank of Oswego River. Its surface is rolling,
the ridges extending n. and s., and elevated 100 to 180 feet above the lake. It is drained by
Black Creek, flowing s., and Nine Mile, Four Mile, and Wine Creeks, flowing n. Upon several
of these streams are valuable mill privileges. The soil is a gravelly and sandy loam, stony in
places, and only moderately fertile. Scriba Corners, (Scriba p. o.,) near the center of the
town, contains 1 church and about 40 houses. North. Scriba is a p. o. The first settlement
was made by Henry Everts, in 1798.4 There are 3 churches in town.5
Y©ME¥ 6—was formed—by the name of “Fredericksburgh”—from Mexico as part of Oneida
co., March 21, 1806. Its name was changed April 5, 1811. Scriba was taken off in 1811, and
Schroeppel and Palermo in 1832. It lies upon the e. bank of Oswego River, s. w. of the center
of the co. Its surface is undulating, with high, steep banks bordering upon the river. The
ridges are 50 to 100 feet above the valleys and 100 to 200 feet above Oswego River. Tbe red
sandstone crops out on the bank of the river and is extensively quarried for building stone. The
falls upon tbe river furnish an immense water-power.7 The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam.
Fulton,8 (p. v.,) on Oswego River, at the Oswego Falls,9 was incorp. April 29,1835. It contains
6 churches, the Falley Seminary,10 a newspaper office, and a large number of manufacturing
establishments. Pop. 3,192. Seneca Mill, (p.v.,) on Oswego River, in the n. w. corner of the
town, contains 50 dwellings and the largest flouring establishment in the State.11 Volney Cor¬
ners, (Yolney p. o.,) near the center, contains 18 houses. The present village of Fulton became
the seat of a floating population in the early part of the eighteenth century; but permanent settle¬
ment was not commenced until 1793.12 The first church (Presb.) was organized in 1814; and the
Rev. Mr. Leavitt was the first settled minister. There are 9 churches in town.13
WEST MONROE—was formed from Constantia, March 21,1839. It lies upon the x. shore
of Oneida Lake, s.e. of the center of the co. The surface is level and marshy in the s., and rolling,
broken, and stony in the x. A marsh on the bank of tbe lake covers an area of more than 1,000
acres, and a considerable portion of it produces cranberries. In the valleys between the ridges,
in the n. part of the town, are several smaller marshes. Red sandstone, the underlying rock, crops
out in this town and furnishes a plentiful supply of valuable building stone. Bog iron ore is
found in the n. part; and it is said that traces of lead and silver have also been found. The soil
is a medium quality of clay, sandy and gravelly loam. West Monroe and Union Settle-
men! are p. offices. The first settlement was made in 1806, by Martin Owens, Abel and Joseph
B. Ames, Ebenezer Loomis, and Sylvanus Allen.14 The first church (Presb.) was organized in 1843.15
WIUUIAMSTOWN—was formed from Mexico, as part of Oneida co., March 24, 1804.
Richland was taken off in 1807, and Amboy in 1830. It lies near the center of the e. border of
the co. The surface is undulating in the s., but broken and stony in the w., and moderately hilly
in the e. It is drained by Fish Creek, flowing into Oneida Lake, and the head branches of Salmon
internal water communication between Schenectady and the
ports upon Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River, after the
construction of the canal connecting Wood Creek with the Mo¬
hawk River, hy the Western Navigation Co., in 1796.
10 The Fulton Female Seminary was incorp. in 1836, and in
1842 it was changed to the Fulton Academy. In 1849 it received
a donation of $3,000 from Mrs. M. E. Falley and assumed the
name of the Falley Seminary. At the same time it came under
the charge of the Black River Conference of the M. E. Church.
It is a prosperous institution.
U This flouring mill has 15 rim of stone, with a separate wheel
to each run, and a capacity of grinding and packing 1,200 bar¬
rels of flour per day.
i2 Daniel Masters settled at Oswego Falls in 1793; Laurence
Van Valkenburgh, below the falls, in 1795; and John Van Buren
in 1796. John Waterhouse settled in the town in 1797; and
Ebenezer Wright in 1800. The first birth after the permanent
settlement was in 1795; and the first death, that of John Water¬
house, in Aug. 1799. Daniel Masters kept the first inn, at the
falls, in 1794; and he and Goodell erected the first sawmill,
in 1796. Miss A. Waterhouse taught the first school, in 1800.
43 2 M. E., Presb., Prot. E., Cong., Bap., Prot. Meth., Wes. Meth.,
14 Deacon Smith, from Mass., settled in the town in 1808, and
Hiram Nickerson in 1810. The first birth was that of Azariah
Ames. The first inn was kept by Deacon Smith, in 1812; and
the first school was taught hy Caroline Barnes, in 1810,
is The census reports 2 churches; Presb. and F. W. Bap.
Thomas Vickery and La Hommedieu settled in 1807;
and Wm. Miles in 1808. The first birth was that of Joseph
Vickery, Sept. 11, 1807; and the first marriage, that of John
Lemanier and Sally Winter. The first sawmill was erected by
H. W. Schroeppel, in 1819; and the first gristmill, by A. & II.
Gilbert, the same year. The first store was kept by Andrus
Gilbert, in 1821; and the fii'st inn, by Alex. Phoenix, in 1828.
Horatio Sweet taught the first school, at Three Kiver Point, in
1813. 2 2 M. E., Cong., Bap., and E. W. Bap.
Named in honor of George Scriba, the original proprietor of
this and several of the adjoining towns.
Asahel Bush and Samuel Tiffany settled in town in 1801;
Wm. Burt and Hiel Stone in 1805; and Dr. Deodatus Clark in
1807. The first birth was that of Henry Everts, jr.; the first
marriage, that of John Masters and Eliza Baldwin, in 1806; and
the first death, that of a child of Hiram Warner. The first inn
was kept by Hiel Stone, in 1806; and the first store, by Orrin
Stone and Aaron Parkhurst, in 1819. Benj. Robinson, from
Manlius, taught the first school, in 1804.
Bap., M. E.. and a Bethel Free and Union.
Named in honor of Volney, the French author, who visited
the town in 1808, while on a tour through tlie U. S.
There are 7 flouring mills in town, having an aggregate of
42 run of stone; also a large number of sawmills and other
s Named in honor of Robert Fulton. It was originally called
• The portage at this place was the only interruption in the