ancl ’32. Sotlus (p. v.) contains 3 churches, the Sodus Academy, and about 300 inhabitants.
Sodus Point, (p. v.,) on the lake, w. of the entrance to the bay, is a U. S. port of entry in the
Genesee District. It has a lighthouse, a church, a steam sawmill, and about 200 inhabitants.
Sodus Center (p. v.) contains a church, foundery, carding mill, grist and saw mill, and 40
houses; Alton (p.v.) a church and 30 houses; South Sodus (p. v.) a church and 30 houses; and
Joy (p* v.) a church, shingle factory, and 30 houses. The first settlement was made in 1794, under
the auspices of Charles Williamson, agent of the Pulteney Estate.1 Mr. Williamson caused a road to
be cut through from Palmyra to Sodus Point in the spring of 1794. During the summer the town,
was surveyed, an extensive city plan laid out between Salmon Creek and the Point, and within two
years mills were erected on Salmon Creek. A tavern was buili*at an expense of $5,000, a pleasure
yacht was placed upon the bay; and in roads, surveys, buildings, &c., over $20,000 was expended.
Thos. Little and Moffat were the local agents of Mr. Williamson. Of all those connected with
these premature improvements, but few remained after they were completed. Elijah Brown was an
early settler, 4 mi. w. of the Point, and Amos Richards, 7 mi. w. Ammi Ellsworth came from Conn.
in 1801, and settled near the Point. Dr. Wm. Nixon Lummis settled at the Point. He built mills and
a forge. A daughter of his is Mrs. Elizabeth Ellet, author of the “Women of the Revolution/-’ and
“ Domestic History of the Revolution.” Col. Peregrine Eitzhugh came from Md. in 1803, with his
family and slaves,—over 40 persons in all. Dr. Thos. G. Lawson, an Englishman, settled 1 mi. from
the Point, in 1803. After expending considerable money in attempting to form a settlement, he
abandoned the enterprise in 1805. In 1799, besides those already mentioned, there were 25 families
in town on roads leading to Palmyra and Lyons. The first church (Bap.) was organized in 1-805;
Elder Seba Norton was the first settled minister.2
WALWORTH3 —was formed from Ontario, April 20, 1829. It is the central town on the w.
border of the co. Its surface is a high, rolling upland, the ridges being the most elevated land in
the co. The Niagara limestone crops out in the n. part, marking its course by a hard, stony surface
some rods in width. It is drained n. by several small streams, and s. e. by tributaries of Red Creek.
The soil is a rich, sandy loam. Walworth^ (p. v.,) near the s.e. corner, contains 3 churches,
the Walworth Academy, and 230 inhabitants. In the immediate vicinity is an extensive nursery.2
West Walworth, (p. v.,) in the s. w. part, contains a church and 115 inhabitants. The first
settlement was begun about 1800.3 The first church (M. E.) was organized previous tol809.4
WILLIAMSON7—was formed from Sodus, Feb. 20, 1802. Ontario was taken off in 1807,
and Marion in 1825. It lies on the n. border of the co., w. of the center, Lake Ontario forming
its n. boundary. Its surface is level in the n., with a gentle inclination toward the lake.
In the s. it rises into low ridges. It is drained by a few small streams that flow n. into Lake On¬
tario. The soil is a sandy, gravelly loam, mixed with clay near the lake shore. Pulleuey-
ville,5 (p.v.,) on the lake shore, a U. S. port of entry in the Genesee District, contains a church,
gristmills, a steam sawmill, and about 450 inhabitants; Williamson, (p.v.,) s. of the center,
contains 2 churches, a steam flouring mill, and about 300 inhabitants; Fast Williamson
contains 2 churches and 20 houses. The first settlement was made in 1803, by Wm. Waters.6 The
census reports 8 churches in town.10
WOLCOTT11—was formed from Junius, (Seneca co.,) March 24, 1807. Butler, Huron, and
Rose were taken off in 1826. It is the n. e. corner town of the co., Lake Ontario forming its n.
Marshall Chamberlain. The first death was that of —— Green,
killed by the fall of a tree, in 1806. The first store was kept by
Thomas E. Kempshall.
e There are 5 churches in town; 2 Bap., M. E., Cong., and
P. W. Bap.
7 Named from Charles Williamson, the first agent of the
8 Named from Sir Wm. Pulteney. On the morning of June 13,
1813, Com. Sir James Yeo, with a British force, made a descent
upon this place. Gen. J. Swift, who commanded the Americans,
surrendered, with the stipulation that private property and
persons should be respected. Most of the U. S. stores had been
previously removed to a place of safety. The British had 2
killed and 3 wounded.
9 Capt. Sam’l Throop, Jeremiah Selby, John Holmes, and Al-
pheus Curtis, came in 1806, Maj. Wm. Rogers in 1807, and Dan’l
Poppins, Timothy Smith, DenniDg, Andrew Conwell, Sam’l
Ledyard, and Jacob W. Hallett, soon after. The first child born
was H. N. Throop, in Nov. 1807.’ Major Rogers kept the first
inn, in 1807; Jos. Colt, the first store. Capt. Sam! Throop and
Jeremiah Selby built the first saw and grist mill.
10 2 Presb., M. E., Wes. Meth., Bap., Cong., Ref. Prot. D., and
n Named from Gov. Oliver Wolcott, of Conn.
Moses and James Sill kept the first inn, at Sodus Point, in the
huilding erected for that purpose by Mr. Williamson. On the
evening of June 13,1813, a party of about 100 English landed at
Sodus Point in boats, from the fleet of Sir Jas. Teo, for the purpose
of seizing or destroying what public stores they could find. They
were opposed by about 40 Americans, under Capt. Hull, of Lyons.
After the first fire the Americans retreated. The enemy burned
5 houses, and the old Williamson Hotel, owned by Capt. Wm.
Wickham. The public flour had been secreted in a ravine, and
remained undiscovered. The next day a gunboat proceeded up
the lake to Nicholas Point and burned a warehouse. The
British had 2 killed, and the Americans 1 killed and 1 mortally
wounded. The total amount of property destroyed amounted to
8 Named from Chancellor Walworth.
* This nursery—established in 1840—occupies 75 acres, and
produces annually 300,000 trees, mostly sent to New England,
N. J., Md., and Va.
Among the other early settlers were George Millet, in 1802,
Hurlbut Crittenden, in 1804, Deacon Gideon Hassett, James and
Jonathan Hill, Capt. Gilbert, Hinckley, and John and