Brawby, N. R. (5) a township in
the parish of Sal ton, wapentake of Ry-
dale, 6 miles N.W. frOmMalton; in-
Brawith Hall, N.R. (2). See
Braystay, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of Winterburne, parish of
Gargrave, wapentake of Staincliffe, 7
miles N. W. from Skipton.
Brayton, W. R. (8) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Barkston
Ash, 1§ mile S.W. from Selby; in-
habitants, 235 ; a vicarage, value 71.
14s. 4%d.; patron, the Hon. E. Petre.
This parish, partly situated on the south
bank of the Ouse, contains the numer-
ous townships of Barlow, Burn, Gate-
forth, Hambledon, and Thorpe Wil-
loughby. Entire population, 1489.
Brearey, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Addle, wa-
pentake of Skyrack, 6 miles N.W. from
Brearey, West, W. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Arthington, parish
of Addle, wapentake of Skyrack, 6 miles
N.W. from Leeds.
Brearley Hall, W. R. (7). See
Brearton, W.R. (5) a township
in the parish of Knaresborough, wa-
pentake of Claro, 4 miles N .W. from
Knaresborough; inhabitants, 226.
Breckamoor House, W. R. (5).
See Stainley North.
Brecks, W. R. (8) a hamlet in the
township of Gomersall, parish of Bir-
stal, wapentake of Morley, 4 miles S.W.
Breighton, or Brighton, E.R.
(5) a township with Gunby, in the pa-
rish of Bubwith, division of Holme
Beacon, 5 miles N.W. from Howden;
inhabitants, 179. This village is seated
on the east bank of the river Derwent;
on the opposite bank is the Ferry of
Brennard, W. R. (4) a hamlet in
the township of the Forest of Botvland,
parish of Slaidburn, wapentake of Stain-
cliffe, 5 miles W. from Slaidburn.
Bretton, W.R. (8) a township,
partly in the parish of Sandal Magna,
wapentake of Agbrigg, and partly in the
parish of Silkstone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 6 miles N. W. from Barnsley ;
inhabitants, 518. Bretton Park is the
seat of T. R. Beaumont, Esq.
Bretton Dykes, W. R. (8) a
hamlet in the township of Bretton, pa-
rish of Silkstone, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 6 miles N.W. from Barnsley.
Bretton Monk, or Burton, W.
R. (8) a township in the parish of Roy-
ston, wapentake of Staincross, 2 miles
N. E. from Barnsley; inhabitants, 916.
This place is named from a monastery,
erected here in the reign of Henry II.
but of which there are no remains.
Here is an hospital for six poor widows.
Briar Flats, W. R. (8) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Ackworth,
wapentake of Osgoldcross, 2§ miles S.
Bridge Houses, W. R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Briglitside Bier-
low, parish of Sheffield, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 1 mile N. from
Bridlington, E.R. (6) a market-
town, parish, and township with/Brid-
lington Quay, in the wapentake of Dick-
ering, 12 miles N. E. from Driffield, 41
E. N. E from York, 208 from London;
inhabitants, 4275 ; a perpetual curacy ;
patron, the Archbishop of York; mar-
ket, Saturday; fairs, Monday before
Whitsuntide, and October 21. Here is
a free grammar school for twenty boys,
founded by William Hustler, Esq. 1637.
This place, commonly pronounced Bur-
lington, is situated about a mile distant
from the sea, and consists chiefly of
one long street, upon a gentle declivity,
which rises towards the north for more
than a mile above the town, and extends
below it an equal distance to the south,
where it is terminated by a pleasant
valley, watered by a considerable ri-