New Yorkshire Gazetteer (1828) page 138
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

Killerby,N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Catterick, wapentake of
Hang East, 2 miles S. from Catterick;
inhabitants, 48. Here is the seat of
John Booth, Esq.

Killerby, N.R. (3) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Cayton, wa-
pentake of Pickering Lythe, 5 miles S.
from Scarborough.

Killing Hall, W.R. (5) a town-
ship in the parish of Ripley, wapentake
of Claro, 2 miles S. from Ripley; in-
habitants, 519. Tn this township is
Rolling, the seat of John Williamson,
Esq. Two or three families of note
formerly resided in Killing Hall: some
ruins, covered with grass, point out the
site where two of these mansions have
stood, from the materials of which
several farm houses have been erected.

Killingwold Grove, E. R. (6) a
small hamlet in the township and pa-
rish of Bishop Burton, division of Huns-
ley Beacon, 2 miles W. from Beverley.
This village bears several indications of
a very high antiquity.

Kilmont Scar, N. R. (1) a small
hamlet in the township and parish of
Bowes, wapentake of Gilling West, 3
miles W. from Greta Bridge.

Kii.nhurst, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the townships of Swinton and Raw-
marsh, parish of Rawmarsh, wapen-
take of Strafforth and Tickhill, 5 miles
N. from Rotherham. Kilnhurst Hall is
the seat of William Turner, Esq. Here
are alms-houses for six poor people.'‘

Kilnsea, E. R. (9) a parish and
township with Spurn, in the wapentake
of Holderness, 8 miles S. E. from Pa-
trington; inhabitants, 196; a vicarage,
value 6/. 18s.6§tf.; patron, G.L. Thomp-
son, Esq. The church in this village, is
in a dilapidated state, and will probably
soon become a prey to the depreda-
tions of the ocean, which for several
ages has been making progressive en-
croachment on this coast. In the year
1818, an ancient cross was taken down
and removed into the park at Burton

Constable for security: this edifice,
according to tradition, was originally
erected in the town of Ravenspur, to
commemorate the landing of Henry of
Bolingbroke. In this parish, is the
well-known promontory of Spurnhead,
the Ocellum Promontorium of Ptolemy,
the southernmost point of Holderness :
it may be called an island, as it is
joined to the main land by a narrow
neck of sand, about a mile and half in
length, which is frequently overflown
by a high tide. Spurnhead contains
two light-houses and a few cottages; it
is also a station for a life-boat: some-
where near Spurnhead, was the port of
Ravenspur, celebrated in English his-
tory, for the descents of Henry IV.,
1399, and of Edward IV., 1471, when
these princes came to contend for the
crown of England. Ravenspur has been
long swallowed up by the sea or the
Humber, and its precise situation can-
not now be ascertained. Several other
towns and villages in this part of Hol-
derness have experienced the same fate.
Mention is made of Frismerk, Tharle-
thorpe, Redmayr, Pennysmerk, Upsal,
and Potterfleet, of which places, more
unfortunate than even old Troy, not a
vestige remains to point out that they
ever had an existence.

Kilnsey, W. R. (4) a township
with Conistone, parish of Burnsall, wa-
pentake of Staincliffe, 3 miles S. from
Kettle well; inhabitants, 157. This place
is remarkable for a lofty range of lime-
stone rock, called Kilnsey Cragg, and
hither the numerous flocks of sheep
belonging to Fountain’s Abbey, were
driven to their annual sheep-shearing.
Chapel house, in a picturesque situa-
tion, is the seat of John Tennant, Esq.

Kilnwick Percy, E.R. (6) a pa-
rish and township in the division of
Wilton Beacon, 8 miles N. W. from
Market Weighton; inhabitants, 43 ; a
vicarage, value
Al. 16s.3d.; patron, the
Dean of York. Here is the seat of Ro-
bert Denison, Esq.


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2 and image-to-HTML text generated by ABBYY FineReader 11, Professional Edition.