castle, built about tbe year 1320, by
John Earl of Warrenne: during the
reign of Edward III., Edward Baliol,
aspiring to the throne of Scotland, re-
sided here: it afterwards became the
property of Richard Plantagenet, Duke
of York, who instead of waiting for re-
inforcements in this fortress, during the
wars of tbe roses, unadvisedly gave
battle to Queen Margaret, and was
slain on the field in 1460. Tbe castle
underwent a siege in the civil wars of
Charles 1.; it surrendered to the par-
liament, and was in the next year, 1645,
completely dismantled; it is now an
insignificant ruin. Sandal gave birth
to Dr. Thomas Zouch, a man of con-
siderable learning, whose works Arch-
deacon Wrangham has thought worth
editing. The country about Sandal
is pleasant: here are Belle Vue, the
seat of John Naylor, Esq., and Wood
Thorpe, the seat of the Rev. W. Wood.
The parish contains the townships of
West Bretton, Crigglestone and Walton.
Sandal Parva, or Long Sandal,
W. R. (8) a hamlet iu the township and
parish of Kirk Sandal, wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 3 miles N. E.
Sandal Three Houses, W. R.
(8) a hamlet in the township and pa-
rish of Sandal Magna, wapentake of
Agbrigg, 2f miles S. from Wakefield.
William Nevison,a noted highwayman,
was apprehended at an alehouse in
this village, by Captain Hardcastle, in
the year 1684.
Sandbeck, W. R. (5) a hamlet in
the township of Wetherby, parish of
Kirk Deighton, wapentake of Claro, 1
mile N. E. from Wetherby.
Sandbeck, W. R. (8)., See
Sandbeck, N.R. (1) a hamlet in
the township of Hipswell, parish of
Catterick, wapentake of Hang East, 1 §
mile S.E. from Richmond.
Sandburn, N.R. (5) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Stockton-
in-the-forest, wapentake of Bulmer, 6
miles N. E. from York.
Sandgate, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Nether Hallam, parish
of Sheffield, wapentake of Strafforth and
Tickhill, 3 miles W. from Sheffield.
Sand Hall, W.R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Egborough, parish of
Kellington, wapentake of Osgoldcross,
4 miles N. W. from Snaith.
Sand Hall, E. R. (8). See Skelton.
Sand Holme, E. R. (6) a hamlet in
the township of Gilberdike, parish of
Eastrington, wapentake of Howden-
shire, 5£ miles W. from South Cave.
Sand Holme, E. R. (6). See Stork
Sandholmes, N. R. (2) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Pickhill,
wapentake of Hallikeld, 5 miles W.
Sand Hutton, N.R. (2). See Hut-
Sand Hutton, N. R. (5). See Hut-
Sandsend, N. R. (3) a hamlet in
the township and parish of Lythe, wa-
pentake of Langbarugh, 3 miles N.W.
from Whitby. This place is situated
on the face of a rocky cliff near the sea;
it contains an extensive establishment
for the making of alum, the property of
the Earl of Mulgrave: amongst the
rocks, black amber or jet is frequently
Santinley, W. R. (8) a hamlet in
the township of Wintersett, parish of
Wragby, wapentake of Staincross, 5
miles S. E. from Wakefield.
Santon, N.R. (1) a hamlet in the
township of Muker, parish of Grinton,
wapentake of Gilling West, 2 miles E.
Savile House, W. R. (7) a ham-
let in the township and parish of Penis-
tone, wapentake of Staincross, 4 miles
W. from Penistone.
Savey Green, N.R. (3) a hamlet
in the township and parish of Egton,
wapentake of Langbarugh, 6 miles W.