townships of Follyfoot, Linton, Plump-
ton, Little Ribstone, and Wetherby.
Entire population, 2975.
Spofforth Haggs, W. R. (5) a
hamlet in the preceding township and
Spring End, N.R. (1) a hamlet in
the township of Muker, parish of Grin-
ton, wapentake of Gilling West, 6 miles
W. from Reeth.
Springfield House, W. R. (8).
Springhead, E.R. (6). See Cot-
Spring House, N. R. (5) a hamlet
in the township of Raskelf, parish of
Easingwold, wapentake of Bulmer, 2
miles W. from Easingwold.
Spring House, W. R. (5) a ham-
let in the township of Hartwith, parish
of Kirkby Malzeard, wapentake of
Claro, 3~§ miles W. from Ripley.
Springwood, W. R. (7). See Hud-
Sproatley, E. R. (6) a parish and
township in the wapentake of Holder-
ness, 8 miles N. E. from Hull; inha-
bitants,357 ; a rectory, value 7/,0s.l0r/.;
patron, Francis Constable, Esq. The
church of this place was re-edified in
1819, and it is a handsome structure of
Sprotborough, W. R. (8) a pa-
rish and township in the wapentake of
Strafforth and Tickhill, 3§ miles S. W.
from Doncaster; inhabitants, 318; a
rectory, value 44/. 18s. 9d.; patron, Sir
Joseph Copley, Bart. Sprotborough
Hall, the seat of Sir Joseph Copley,
is a stately mansion of the age of
Charles II. The place was formerly
the residence of the ancient family of
Fitz-William, a knight of which, in the
reign of Henry V., caused a cross to lie
erected near the church with this in-
" Whoso is hungry, and list to eate,
Let him come to Sprotborough for
And for a night, and for a day,
His horse shall have both corn and
And no man shall ask him when he
The parish contains the township of
Cadeby, Entire population, 487.
Sproxton, N. R. (2) a township in
the parish of Helmsley, wapentake of
Rydale, 1 mile S. from Helmsley; in-
Sproxton Cote, N. R. (2) a small
hamlet in the preceding township.
Sprusty Hall, W. R. (5) a small
hamlet in the township of Killinghall,
parish of Ripley, wapentake of Claro,
2 miles S. from Ripley.
Spurnhead,E.R. (9)5 SeeKilnsea.
Stackhouse, W. R. (4)*-a hamlet
in the township and parish of Giggles-
wick, wapentake of Staincliffe, 1 mile
N. from Settle.
Staddlebridge, N. R. (2) a hamlet
in the township and parish of East
Harlsey, wapentake of Birdforth, 7
miles N. E. from Northallerton.
Staddlethorpe, E. R. (9) a ham-
let in the tdwnship and parish of Black-
toft, wapentake of Howdenshire, 7
miles S. E. from Howden.
Stainbrough, W.R. (8) a town-
ship in the parish of Silkston, wapen-
take of Staincross, 2 miles S. from
Barnsley; inhabitants, 194; a eha-
pelry to Silkstone. Stainbrough Hall,
or as it is more usually called, Went-
worth Castle, the seat of Thomas Ver-
non Wentworth, Esq., was built by
Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford,
about the year 1730. It is a large
quadrangular edifice, with a stately
portico; the gallery, 160 feet in length,
contains a noble collection of pictures
and statues: the mansion is surrounded
with an extensive park, commanding
various picturesque and delightful
Stainburn, W. R. (5) a township
in the parish of Kirkby Overblow, wa-
pentake of Claro, 5 miles N. E. from
Otley ; inhabitants, 364; a ehapelry to