Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 358

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 357 ...Page 359

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.

tons' burden. A number of vessels are owned
here, and the coasting trade and fisheries give
employment to many of the inhabitants. The
town is watered by Maskachug and Hunt's
Rivers, on which are cotton mills and other
manufactories. The soil of the town is rather
rough and stony, but it yields good crops of
corn, barley, and potatoes. East Greenwich
is noted for excellent fruit and cider.



The Kentish Guards was established here in
1774, and proved a nursery of distinguished offi-
cers, of which the celebrated General Nathaniel
Greene was one. Across the bay, to Bristol, is
about 8 miles. 14 miles S. from Providence.

East Haddam, Ct., Middlesex co. A town of
considerable trade and manufacturing enterprise,
on the
E. side of the Connecticut, and at the out-
let of Salmon River. The soil is hilly and rocky,
and more fit for grazing than tillage. Consider-
able business is done here in the shad fishery.
It is supposed that more leather is made in this
than in any other town in the state. This place
has fine water privileges, both for navigation and
A short distance from the centre
of the town is a pond covering 1000 acres. On
the river formed by the outlet of this pond, the
water is precipitated over rocks nearly 70 feet per-
pendicular. The scenery around these falls is
beautiful, and worthy of particular notice.

Leesville, on Salmon River, and Mechanics-
ville, on Moodus River, a branch of Salmon
River, are very flourishing settlements.

This place, the Indian Mackimoodus, is re-
markable for frequent slight shocks of earth-
quakes, producing singular noises, which the
Indians attributed to the anger of their gods
towards the white men. It is said that some
valuable geological discoveries have recently
been made in this quarter. The town was first
settled in 1685, but not incorporated until 1724.

Eastham, Ms., Barnstable co., lies on both
sides of Cape Cod, which, at this place, is about
3 miles across. It is the ancient Nausat of
the Indians, and was purchased of the natives by
the people at Plymouth, prior to its grant by
the court, in 1644.
A settlement commenced
the year the grant was made. The soil of this
town was formerly considered as unproductive as
any on the cape; but by good management it has
been made to furnish a supply of breadstuff's for
its own inhabitants, and some for exportation.
There is a pear tree in this town celebrated for
its longevity. It was brought from England by
Thomas Prince, who was elected governor of the
colony in 1634. Its fruit is said to be fair and
good, and yields about 15 bushels annually. 22
miles E. N. E. from Barnstable, and 66
S. E. by
E. from Boston, by water.

Easthampton, Ms., Hampshire co. This is a
pleasant town, on the W. side of Connecticut
River, 5 miles S. from Northampton, of which it
was formerly a part. The Hampshire and Hamp-
den Canal passes through this town, but has
been abandoned, and a railroad substituted
for it. The Mount Tom range of mountains
commences here, and extends into the state of
Connecticut. The highest part of the range is
in this town, and is 1214 feet above the river.
A large part of the lands in Easthampton are
fertile and productive. There is here a flour-
ishing and richly-endowed English and classical
seminary, founded and endowed at an expense
of $50,000, the munificence of the Hon. Samuel

Williston, under the name of the Williston Semi-

East Hampton, N. Y., Suffolk co. Situated on
the E. extremity of Long Island. 114 miles E.
from New York city, and 267 E. S. E. from Al-
bany. This town, including land and water,
embraces a large area, being about 23 miles in
length, over the narrow strip running up from
Montauk Point to its western boundary, and
about 12 miles in breadth, on a line from the
northern extremity of Gardiner's Island, which
is connected with it, directly across the town to
the ocean. The village is built principally on a
single street, a mile and a half long, and about
three fourths of a mile from the southern shore.
The town was settled in 1649, by 30 families from
Lynn, and the neighboring towns, in Massachu-
setts. There is a small remnant of the Montauk
Indians still remaining, upon a reservation of
1000 acres, held by them under the conditions of
their sale of the Montauk tract to the whites,
about 180 years ago. See
Montauk Point, p. 221.

East Hanover, Pa., Lebanon co. 21 miles E.
from Harrisburg.

East Hartford, Ct., Hartford co. This town is
situated opposite to Hartford, and connected with
it by a bridge across Connecticut River. The
soil of the town is generally fertile, but the allu-
vial meadows on the border of the river, of which
there is a large tract, is of a superior quality.
The agricultural products of this town are very
considerable. Hackanum River furnishes the
town with a good water power, on which are val-
uable manufacturing establishments, particularly
of paper. East Hartford is noted for its man-
ufactures in former years. The first powder mill
in this country, it is said, was erected here, in

1775. This is a very pleasant town. The main
'street, which is very long and wide, is delight-
fully shaded by stately elms. East Hartford was
taken from Hartford in 1784.

East Haven, Ct., New Haven co. This town
was taken from New Haven in 1785, and is con-
nected with New Haven by a bridge. It has
good navigable privileges, and is watered by
Quinnipiac River. This was a great resort for the
Indians in former years. On Grave Hill were
an Indian fort and cemetery. Bones of Indians
of a large size, and domestic and warlike imple-
ments for savage use, have been found here.
The Indian Well, in a granite rock, on an island
in Stony River, is a curiosity. East Haven is
pleasantly located, and commands a fine prospect
of Long Island Sound.

East Haven, Yt., Essex co. The land in thi3
township is high, but much of it is very suitable
for grazing. Passumpsic River crosses the W.
corner, and the head of Moose River waters the
eastern part, each being about two rods wide, and
affording good mill sites. There were five or six
families in this town as early as
1814. 24 miles
N. W. from Guildhall, and 69 N. E. from Mont-

East Hempfeld, Pa., Lancaster co. Watered
on the E. by Little Conestoga Creek. Surface
principally level. 38 miles E. S. E. from Har-

East Huntingdon, Pa., Westmoreland co. Wa-
by branches of Jacob's Creek.

East Kingston, N. H., Rockingham co. The
soil is of an excellent quality, and well adapted
to grain and grass. Powow River crosses the S.
W. part of this town. Eirst settlers, William
























0 1

1 1

2 1

3 1

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.