and Abraham Smith. 42 miles S. E. by E. from
Concord, and 20 S. S. W. from Portsmouth, and
by railroad 5 miles S. from Exeter.
East Lebanon, 0., Wayne co. This village is
90 miles N. E. from Columbus, and 5 from
East Lyme, Ct., New London co. On the
coast, between the Rivers Thames and Connecti-
cut. The New Haven and New London Railroad
passes through it. Surface diversified; soil gen-
East Livermore, Me., Kennebec co. On the E.
bank of the Androscoggin. 23 miles W. from
East Machias, Me., Washington co. On both
sides of East Machias River 149 miles E. by
N. from Augusta. It has a great water power,
and is largely engaged in the lumber trade.
East Marlboro', Pa., Chester co. Watered by
Redelay Creek and Pocopsen, a branch of Bran-
dywine Creek. Surface gently sloping; soil
sandy loam. 28 miles S- W. from Philadelphia.
East Montpelier, Vt., Washington co. This
town was incorporated November 9, 1848, and
comprises the northern and eastern part of the
fertile and p.easant town of Montpelier.
East Nantmeal., Pa., Chester co. The N. and
S. forks of French Creek water this town, the
surface of which is hilly, and the soil gravelly.
65 miles E. S. E. from Harrisburg.
East Nottingham, Pa.. Chester co. Watered by
Elk and Little Elk Creeks. Surface slightly
uneven; soil sandy loam.
Easton, Md., Talbot co. On Tread Haven
Creek. 13 miles from Chesapeake Bay, and near
the head of a large estuary. S. E. from Annapo-
lis 45 miles.
Easton, Ct., Fairfield co. Taken from the E.
part of Weston. 10 m. N. W. from Bridgeport.
" Easton, Ms., Bristol co. There are two pleas-
ant villages here, both well watered by branches
of Taunton River. From the W. village it is
about 10 miles to Taunton, and 24 to Boston.
Easton, N. Y., Washington co. On the E.
border of the Hudson River, and watered by the
Battenkill, one of its tributaries, The surface is
slightly uneven ; the soil generally day and sandy
loam. Limestone and water lime of superior qual-
ity are found here. 26 m.' N. N. W. from Albany.
Easton, Pa., seat of justice of Northampton co.
On the W. side of Delaware River, at the junc-
tion of the Lehigh, 58 miles N. from Philadelphia,
and 106 E. N. E. from Harrisburg. Population
in 1820, 2370; 1830, 3529; 1840, 4865; 1850,
9000. The town is built on a point of land
f|s bounded and shaped by the Delaware and Lehigh
Rivers, and by Bushkill Creek. It is regularly laid
out, with streets crossing each other at right an-
gles, and a public square in the centre. The
court house, standing upon this square, was built
in 1758. The part of the town lying near the
Delaware, though well elevated above the river,
is level; but ihe ground rises gradually as it re-
cedes to the W., forming a fine acclivity for that
part of the town which is the most handsomely
built, and in which are the principal churches
and other public buildings. Still more elevated,
in the rear of the town, are the buildings of La-
fayette College, which are handsomely located,
and command a beautiful prospect of the sur-
rounding country. (See Colleges.) The fine bridge
at this point, over the Delaware, 500 feet long,
was built at an expense of $80,000. The Dela-
ware, the Morris, and the Lehigh Canals form a
junction at Easton ; and railroads meet here from
Philadelphia, via Trenton, from Jersey City, op-
posite New York, and from Belvidere, an impor-
tant town a few miles to the N. The manufac-
tures of this place are of considerable impor-
tance. About a mile above Easton, on the right
bank of the Lehigh, a manufacturing village has
sprung up, called South Easton, which contains
large mills for the manufacture of cotton goods,
nails, rifles, steel, and various other articles.
Eastown, Pa., Chester co. Surface slightly un-
even, and drained by Darby Creek; soil sandy
East Penn, Pa., Northampton co. Watered by
Mahoning and Lizard Creeks, branches of the
Lehigh River. Surface mountainous, the Lehigh
Water Gap, through Blue Mountain, being in the S.
part. Soil red shale and gravel. The streams af-
ford water power. 91 miles N. E. from Harrisburg.
East Pennsboro', Pa., Cumberland co. Drained
by Conedogwinit Creek, a mill stream flowing
into the Susquehanna River, which bounds the
town on the E. 10 miles N. E. from Carlisle, and
about the same distance N. W. from Harrisburg.
East Pilceland, Pa., Chester co. Watered by
Stony, French, and Pickering Creeks, all mill
streams flowing into the Schuylkill River.
Eastport, Me., Washington co., includes four
islands, on the chief of which, called Moose Isl-
and-, the town is built. It has a fine harbor, and
has been noted for smuggling adventures, being
situated on the W. shore of Passamaquoddy Bay.
The tide is very rapid, and rises 25 feet. Two
long bridges connect Moose Island with the main
land. It has still considerable trade in lumber.
East Roc/chill, Pa., Bucks co. Surface hilly;
East Union, O., Wayne co., is a flourishing
township, a few miles E. from Wooster.
Eastoille, Va., c. h. Northampton co. On tho
S. side of King's Creek, a small stream which
empties into Chesapeake Bay, through a consid-
erable estuary. E. from Richmond 151 miles.
East Whit eland, Pa., Chester co. Surface level;
soil rich calcareous loam.
East Windsor, Ct., Hartford co. First settled
1680. Taken from Windsor, 1768. Thisisanex-
eellent township of land. Its extensive mead-
ows on-the E. side of Connecticut River are of un-
common fertility and beauty. Scantic River, a
considerable mill stream, passes through the N.
part of the town, and gives it the name of Scantic.
The village of Wapping is in the S. E. section of
the town. The principal street, about a mile back
of the river, is the village, running the whole
length of the town, wide, neatly built, and beau-
East Windsor Hill, Ct., in South Windsor,
Hartford co. 11 miles N. E. from Hartford. The
Theological Institute of Connecticut is located
here. There is a rich and delightful prospect
from the buildings, which are seen at a distance
in different directions.
East Windsor, N. J., Mercer co. Watered by
Millstone River, and Assunpink and Miry Runs.
Surface level; soil sandy and rather sterile. 20
miles S. W. from New Brunswick.
Eaton County, Mn., c. h. at Charlotte. Incor-
porated in 1837. Bounded N. by Ionia and Clin
ton counties, E. by Ingham, S. by Jackson and
Calhoun, and W. by Barry co. Watered by Grand
and Thornapple Rivers and Battle Creek. Sur-