Gazetteer of New York, 1860 & 1861 page 510
Click on the image to view a larger, bitmap (.bmp) image suitable for printing.


Click on the image above for a larger, bitmap image suitable for printing.

510    ORANGE    COUNTY.

manufacture. Moodna1 (p. o.) contains a cotton factory, paper mill, and 10 dwellings. Mor-
tonville, (p. o.,) in the s.
e. part contains 1 church, a gristmill, and 6 dwellings. Tittle
Britain, near the center, is a p. o. The first settlements were made in 1731, by several emi¬
grants from Ireland, prominent among whom was Col. Charles Clinton, grandfather of De Witt
Clinton.2 The first church (Asso. Ref.) was formed at Little Britain, in 1760; Rev. Robert Annan
was the first pastor.3

WATTKITT—was formed March 7,1788. Part of “ Calhounnow Mount Hope, was taken
off in 1825, and a part of Hamptonburgh in 1830. It lies upon the
n. w. border of the co., n. e.
of the center. Its surface is a hilly and broken upland. The principal streams are Shawangunk
River, forming the
n. w. boundary, and Wall Kil, forming a part of the s. e. boundary. Monhagan
Creek and several other streams are tributaries of these two. The soil is a clayey and gravelly
loam. Middletown, (p..v.,) in the s. part, was incorp. Feb. 10, 1848. Next to Newburgh, it
is the largest village in the co. It contains 7 churches, the Wallkill Academy, several private
seminaries, 2 banks, 2 newspaper offices, and several manufacturing establishments.4 It is an
important freight and milk station upon the Erie R. R.5 Pop. 1,873. Circleville, (p. v.,) 5
mi. n. of Middletown, contains 2 churches and 16 dwellings. Scotch Town, (p. v.,) 4 mi.
N.e. of Middletown, contains 1 church and 20 dwellings. Howells Bepot, (p.v.,) a station
upon the r. r., 4 mi. N. w. of Middletown, contains a church and 15 dwellings. Mechanic
Town, 2 mi.
e. of Middletown, contains a woolen factory and 20 dwellings. Philipstourgh
and RocKville are hamlets. The first settlement was made by Wm. and Thomas Bull, sons
of Wm. Bull, of Goshen, who located upon Wall Kil in 1767.6 There are 12 churches in town.7

WARWICK.—was formed March 7, 1788. A part of Chester was taken off in 1845. It lies
upon the line of N. J., in the extreme s. angle of the co. Its surface is mountainous in the s.
and e. and broken and hilly in the sr. and w. The principal mountain ranges are the Sterling,
Rough, and Warwick Mts. in the s.Ie., and the Bellvale Mts. in the e.8 They are high, steep, and
rocky, and have all the characteristics peculiar to a wild, mountain region. In the extreme w. part
is a nearly level region, occupied by the Drowned Lands.9 Several eminences in the midst of these
lands are denominated islands.10 The principal streams are Wall Kil, forming the w. boundary,
Quaker Creek, forming the n. w. boundary, and the Wawayanda, or Warwick, and Pochuck
Creeks. Greenwood Lake, upon the s. line, extends about 4 mi. into this town. The other prin¬
cipal bodies of water are Sterling, Wickhams, and Thompsons Ponds, near the e. border. The
soil is light and unproductive upon the hills, and a gravelly and sandy loam in the valleys.
Warwiclt, (p. v.,) on Wawayanda Creek, near the center of the town, contains 3 churches, the
Warwick Institute, and 358 inhabitants. Florida, (p. v.,) in the n. part, contains 3 churches,
the S. S. Seward Seminary,11 and 45 dwellings; Amity, (p. v.,) in the w. part, 1 church and 3ft
dwellings; KdCStvillC, (p.v.,) 2 mi. n.e. of Amity, a church and 24 dwellings; lew
Milford, (p.v.,) in the s. part, a church and 26 dwellings; Bellvale, (p.v.,) in the e., a
church and 192 inhabitants; and Dutcli Hollow, 2 mi. s.
e. of Bellvale, a church and 15
dwellings. Sterling' WorliS, in the extreme s. part, is a hamlet.12 The precise date of the
first settlement is unknown. Daniel Burt, from Conn., came into town in 1746.13 The first church
(Presb.) was formed in 1764, and the second (Bap.) in 1766.14. Hon. Wm. H. Seward was born at
the village of Florida.

Round, Rocky, and Chucks Hills, in the s.; Ponchuek Mt. and
Green and Adneys Hills, in thew.; and Mts. Adam and Eve,
and Round Hill, in the n, w.

2 These lands have mostly been drained and converted into the
most valuable meadows.

i° Among these eminences are Pine, Merritt, Gardners, Black
Walnut, Cranberry, and Fox Islands.

u This seminary was founded about 1845, by Judge S. S. Seward,
father of Wm. II. Seward, who endowed it with a fund of $20,000.

12 Sterling Works receives its name from the iron works
located upon the outlet of Sterling Pond. The manufacture of
iron has been carried on at this place for 100 years or more.
Gen. WTm. Alexander, Lord Sterling, is said to have been inte¬
rested in them at one time; and hence their name. Anchors and
steel Were manufactured here during the Revolution. 12 to 15
tons of pig iron are now made here per day.

is Among the other early settlers were Thos. Willing, Daniel
Whitney, Benj. Burt, John Vance, and David McCauley. The first
mill was built by David Burt, at'Bellvale, in 1760. Many of the
early settlers were Dutch, and others English, from Mass. and

There are 11 churches in town; 6 M.E., 3 Presb., Bap., and
Ref. Prot. D


Name derived from Murderers Creek, and bestowed by N. P.
Willis. Formerly known as Orangeville.


In 1732 or ’33, families named Alsop, Ellison, Chambers, and
Lawrence settled upon the present site of New Windsor Village.
The headquarters of the American army were at this place at
one time during the Revolution.


There are 6 churches in town; 3 M. E., Presb., Prot. E., and
Asso. Ref.


The principal establishments are a carpet "bag factory, file
factory, grain cradle factory, hat factory, 2 sash and blind fac¬
tories, and a foundery and machine shop. In the aggregate these
factories employ about 300 hands, and manufacture goods to the
amount of $450,000 annually.


s 2,500 gall, of milk are sent daily to N. Y. from the R. r.
stations in this town.


Among the other early settlers were families named McCord,


McNeal, Borland, Rogers, Butterfield, Wisner, Murray, McCarter,


McVey, McWhorter, McDennis, McLaughlin, Campbell, Wat¬


kins, and Faulkner, the most of whom were Scotch emigrants.


1 4 Presb., 3 Bap., 2 Cong., 2 M. E., and R. C.


* The principal elevations in town are Hogback, Decker, One


Pine, and Hull3 Ilills, in the E.; Bill and Coxcomb Hills, in the


©inter; Long, Cedar. Pond, and Bill Whites Ilills, in the S. e.;


This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2