sington, Hebden, and Threshfield. En-
tire population, 1910.
Linton, W. R. (5) a township in the
parish of Spofforth, wapentake of Claro,
1§ mile S. W. from Wetherby; inhabi-
tants, 167. Linton Spring, in this town-
ship, is the seat of W, Middleton, Esq.
Linton, N. R, (5) a township in
the parish of Newton upon Ouse, wa-
pentake of Bulmer, 6 miles S. from
Easingwold; inhabitants, 268.
Linton, E. R. (6) hamlet in the
township and parish of Winteringham,
wapentake of Buckrose, 4 miles N.
Linton, East and West, E. R.
(8) two small hamlets in the township
of Balkholme, parish of Howden, wa-
pentake of Howdenshire, 5 miles E.
Lissett, E.R. (6) a township in the
parish of Beeford, wapentake of Holder-
ness, 7 miles S. from Bridlington; in-
habitants, 95 ; a chapelry to Beeford.
Litherskew, N. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of High Abbotside, pa-
rish of Aysgarth, wapentake of Hang
West, l£ mile N. E. from Hawes.
Little Beck, N.R. (3) a ham-
let in the township of Ugglebarnby,
parish of Whitby, wapentake of Whitby
Strand, 6 miles S. W. from Whitby.
Littleburn, N. R* (1). See Tho-
Littlecommon, W.R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Ecclesall Bierlow,
parish of Sheffield, wapentake of Straf-
forth and Tickhill, 4 miles S.W. from
Littlethorpe, W. R. (5) a town-
ship with Whitcliffe, in the parish of
Ripon, wapentake of Claro, 1 mile S.
from Ripon; inhabitants, 157. Here
is the seat of James Brooke, Esq.
Littletown, W. R. (7) a hamlet
in the township of Liversedge, parish
of Birstall, wapentake of Morley, 8
miles E. from Halifax.
Littletown, W. R. (1) a hamlet
in the township of Dent, parish of Sed-
bergh, wapentake of Ewcross, 3 miles
E. from Dent.
Little wort h, W.R. (8) a ham-
let in the township of Monk Bretton,
parish of Royston, wapentake of Stain-
cross, 2 miles N. from Barnsley.
Litton, W.R. (4) a township in
the parish of Arnecliffe, wapentake of
Staincliffe, 5 miles N.W. from Kettle-
well ; inhabitants, 102.
Liversedge, W.R. (8) a township
in the parish of Birstall, wapentake of
Morley, 7 miles E. from Halifax; in-
habitants, 4259. The township con-
sists of the four hamlets of Hightown,
Littletown, Mill Bridge, and Robert-
town ; at Littletown, a church has been
lately erected by the Rev. Hammond
Robertson, who has endowed it with
five acres of land; the patronage is
vested, by act of parliament, in himself
and his heirs. The remains of the old
manor house, once the seat of the
Neviles, are now occupied as a farm-
house. Liversedge is remarkable as
being the place where the first effectual
opposition was made to the torrent of
Luddism, in 1812, which was then over-
whelming and desolating the country :
this system, which had for its object,
the putting down by violence, the use
of certain improved machines used in
various manufactures, took its origin
in Nottinghamshire, an imaginary per-
son, styled General Ludd, being the
reputed commander of a lawless band,
who, by every means of intimidation,
endeavoured to effect their purpose:
the spirited conduct of Mr. William
Cartwright, who, with four of his own
workmen, and five soldiers, defended
his mill against a whole host of these
banditti, by giving an example of suc-
cessful resistance, compelled the Lud-
dites to desist from attacking the pre-
mises of the masters. By gradation in
crime, assassination became their next
object, and Mr. Wm. Horsfall, a consi-
derable manufacturer at Marsden, who
had expressed in strong terms, his opi-